Spelljammer Spelljammer Academy: Get Free Spelljammer Adventures From D&D Beyond

If you have a D&D Beyond account you can access a promotional Spelljammer supplement for free. Spelljammer Academy is a series of four adventures -- the first, available now, is called Orientation, and will be followed later by Trial by Fire, Realmspace Sortie!, and Behold....H'Catha. Fall in cadets! It's time for your introduction to Wildspace! Spelljammer Academy is a series of four...

If you have a D&D Beyond account you can access a promotional Spelljammer supplement for free. Spelljammer Academy is a series of four adventures -- the first, available now, is called Orientation, and will be followed later by Trial by Fire, Realmspace Sortie!, and Behold....H'Catha.

Fall in cadets! It's time for your introduction to Wildspace! Spelljammer Academy is a series of four adventures that will prepare you for your journeys into space, and it's available to you at no cost with your D&D Beyond account. In the first adventure, you’ll undergo your orientation at the Spelljammer Academy, where you'll learn whether you have what it takes to traverse the deadly expanse of the cosmos. Over time, subsequent adventures in Spelljammer Academy will drop. Unlock one adventure in the series and you'll automatically receive the others upon their release.

5620DC8B-4221-4610-BD36-D650EC2027A9.jpeg

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The way level up did it is cool, very cool, I just... I don't know... like things to be a little more loose. With my version of skill challenges I set a dificulty (number o sucesses needed before 3 failures) a consequence for if the players fail and set up a problem. I let the rest happen in the table, with players trowing ideas at me and I creating checks and DCs on the spot.
I think that's great if you comfortable with your table. I do think a little more structure is useful in a rulebook.

Bolares

Hero
I think that's great if you comfortable with your table. I do think a little more structure is useful in a rulebook.
Oh, for sure! I like it when games give me structure, so I can adjust to my preferences. I just don't like it when it's too much (for my tastes). I started reading PF2 and it put me off really hard. So many tables for literally everything. That's not a game I'd be interested in DMing. Really fun to play though

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Oh, for sure! I like it when games give me structure, so I can adjust to my preferences. I just don't like it when it's too much (for my tastes). I started reading PF2 and it put me off really hard. So many tables for literally everything. That's not a game I'd be interested in DMing. Really fun to play though
From what I've read, I don't think I would like.much of anything in PF2.

Rune

Once A Fool
I, for one, do not miss skill challenges. Their implementation runs counter to my preference for challenge-resolution on a fundamental, philosophical level.

To my mind, when a character wants to accomplish something, the player should establish a goal and an approach for achieving it within the narrative. After that, a mechanical resolution can be determined. (Part of this is because it’s not my job as a DM to think up solutions for the players. And another part is because they have access to many more tools for problem-solving than mere skills.)

Skill challenges (in my experience) incentivized (and I guess still do?) players to pick their approach based on the skill they wanted to roll. Even worse, the mathematically predictable nature of it’s punitive mechanic strongly incentivized fellow players to cajole the acting player into choosing the skill with the highest possible probability of success.

I liked 4E’s emphasis on collaborative tactics, but the skill challenges remained one major disappointment throughout the edition.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Okay, the holodeck in the first adventure was cool, because it was innovative.

This one would have been better if it was the PCs out on an actual run in space, with a trainer observing. Probably will change it to that, myself.
Same. I like danger rooms to get people used to combat and I can see the point of having their first space travel be in a danger room...so they can't just pick a direction and fly off...but it does seem odd to do it twice in a row. Especially the recharging of all resources. That's a crazy powerful illusion.

darjr

I crit!
I’m glad folks found something to like and have fun with skill challenges.

I’m not a fan of skill challenges. I wanted to be and tried really hard and followed all the changes and advise from WotC and Mearls but I found them to be frustrating to play, difficult to run in anyway that seemed fun, and always felt scripted.

Scripted, but I had to play 20 questions with the DM to figure out what was written in the script.

Bolares

Hero
I’m glad folks found something to like and have fun with skill challenges.

I’m not a fan of skill challenges. I wanted to be and tried really hard and followed all the changes and advise from WotC and Mearls but I found them to be frustrating to play, difficult to run in anyway that seemed fun, and always felt scripted.

Scripted, but I had to play 20 questions with the DM to figure out what was written in the script.
That's why I started not preparing the skill checks before my players asked for them. Just set the difficulty and the failure consequences and wait for your players to give you cool ideas.

Remove ads

Remove ads