Spelljammer Spelljammer in 5e

Einlanzer0

Explorer
Yes. This, I will agree with entirely. This is an argument I have made myself, many times, in support of removing the Radiant Triangle and using Spelljammer as a standalone setting rather than a metasetting.

But "low magic" and "magitech" are not Spelljammer. They are, in many ways, the diametric opposite of Spelljammer, which was a decidedly high magic setting with decidedly pre-industrial economies and societies.

I'm not the only person telling you that this isn't Spelljammer. Do consider that if you want to sell a game on the brand appeal of the Spelljammer name, the people telling you that your work isn't what they're looking for are the people who are most likely to give your game a second look or a first chance.

I understand your point, and maybe I presented this poorly, but what I'd be looking to do would be incorporate spelljammer into a new setting in a way that doesn't discard established canon/lore around spelljammer. The CS would provide the mechanics and general SJ lore you would need to run adventures within that setting but it would also be easily adaptable to other 5e settings and would allow you to run a more traditional SJ campaign.

It would not be marketed as spelljammer, but as a new sci fi setting that would help establish spelljamming more broadly with 5e D&D.

Do you mean anything like a spritual successor?

There is other option and it would creating a spin-off about people (with a relatively higher level of technology) from other plane, or other galaxy, causing a lot of changes, someones are hostile invaders, other explorers, refugees, traders o settlers. Then some cyrstal spheres had to be closed to stop attacks by space pirates/raiders.

dave2008

Legend
And it was hated.

I like Spelljammer but not interested in reimagining it in any serious way.

That means crystal spheres, phlogiston, giant space hamsters etc.
i, on the other hand, would only be interested in Spelljammer that ditched the crystal spheres and phlogiston. The giant space hamsters are, however, required.

Einlanzer0

Explorer
i, on the other hand, would only be interested in Spelljammer that ditched the crystal spheres and phlogiston. The giant space hamsters are, however, required.

I have mixed feelings about it. There's definitely a part of me that feels the Prime Material doesn't need to deviate that much from the actual universe and that it's fine letting mostly act like normal space. On the other hand, I like the creativity of the phlogiston and crystal spheres and don't think that it needs to be the same as actual space either.

dave2008

Legend
I have mixed feelings about it. There's definitely a part of me that feels the Prime Material doesn't need to deviate that much from the actual universe and that it's fine letting mostly act like normal space. On the other hand, I like the creativity of the phlogiston and crystal spheres and don't think that it needs to be the same as actual space either.
Hmmm, that wasn't my preference, but I am starting to get an idea of how to integrate that concept with my universal cosmology theory: The Cosmology of the Wheel and the Aether

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Dave2008 and I have talked, and I told them how my world/cosmos is set up. Links might be in this thread.

Prime is our reality and worlds and solar systems etc. So you could "spelljam" out in the cold dark between planets. (My main camapign setting has a solar system with three habitable worlds, and several "colonized" mooons.

Astral fills the role of hyperspace/phlogiston. There aren't any worlds out there (or are there?) and most dieific realms are far off solar systems.

Center of the galaxy is the "Inner Planes" or elemental chaos. I decided that they are all kinds of asteroids, planets, pools of matter/energy floating around the center like a whirlpool. (Where Azathoth sits like a black hole sucking it all down to nothingness.)

Remove ads