Spelljammer Spelljammer in D&D 5e Speculation: How Will the Setting Be Changed?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My favorite Spelljammer creature was the clockwork horror, which is one I could see making a comeback (they're basically the Replicators from the Stargate franchise, except they appeared first). Others I was fond of (but are less likely to return) are the plasman, spiritjam, and survivor.
I think the clockwork horror appeared in a 5e supplement somewhere, although it might have been 3rd party.

It's just not space without the Borg!

Micah Sweet

exterminate doctor who GIF by BBC America
Oh! Even better!

Micah Sweet

Just about everything of what you suggested would be fine for me. Like some here, I would want it to be Spelljammer, not Planejammer, and would want the concept to stay pretty much the same (keep the Phlogiston, for example). Given how WotC's recent track record with setting is very much not to my tastes, I don't have a lot of faith in them, however.

A couple of years ago, I ran a short D&D in space campaign using a 3rd party setting from Mage Hand Press called Dark Matter. It heavily featured space beholder and all their wacky varieties. I would hate to lose that. New generations deserve to know the joy of the beholder worlds.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think they'll get completely rid of the phlogiston and use the Astral plane to connect everything.
If I were a betting man:

1) They'll get rid of crystal spheres and the phlogiston. (I'd say 90% chance the phlogiston goes, and 60% chance the crystal spheres do.)
2) Travel between systems/settings will be through the Astral, the helms let the ship find color pools and safely travel through the Astral.

(All prediction information here is worth exactly what you paid for it.)

Micah Sweet

If I were a betting man:

1) They'll get rid of crystal spheres and the phlogiston. (I'd say 90% chance the phlogiston goes, and 60% chance the crystal spheres do.)
2) Travel between systems/settings will be through the Astral, the helms let the ship find color pools and safely travel through the Astral.

I demand my metacurrency back sir.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If I were a betting man:

WotC has already established that the Prime Material is a unified Plane divided into Crystal Spheres, at least.

I am hoping for the death of the phlogiston so we get to have lots of gun fights.
And I think this hits in exactly why the Phlogiston is likely to stay: as a limitation to prevent gun fights.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
WotC has already established that the Prime Material is a unified Plane divided into Crystal Spheres, at least.

And I think this hits in exactly why the Phlogiston is likely to stay: as a limitation to prevent gun fights.
but we would finally have a gun setting that makes sense for them.

Remove ads