Spelljammer Spelljammer in D&D 5e Speculation: How Will the Setting Be Changed?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I hope, at the very least, that WotC has more visually appealing and evocative art for its early ads for whatever form it takes than this (which was the first ad for Spelljammer I remember seeing in fall 1989). ;) :p:ROFLMAO:

1647446444224.png

Faolyn

(she/her)
If it's around the weirdness level of Doctor Who, that's exactly what I'm looking for in a Space D&D setting. And, only counting the stuff that I listed that I liked about the setting, it's already weirder than Doctor Who.
A lot of the things you reference--the Fal, Gonn, Focoids, etc.--aren't Doctor Who-ish. They're Star Trek-ish. Original series, I mean, with concrete-dipped wind socks or multicolored cubes or giant dead presidents or other such weirdness.

Although some of them, like the fractines, should probably be treated as hazards rather than monsters.

Edit: Although they need at least one giant monster that can latch onto ships. Not just space barnacles.

1647454182241.png

The thing about *blank*jammer, is that it's more exciting when you have places to go. In 2e, they absolutely would dedicate entire and separate product lines for Spelljammer and Planescape to detailing those destinations, but that's just not in the 5e model. They're not likely to have Ravenloft & the Feywild over here on their own planes, and Eberronspace and Faerunspace over there on a single prime material. I suspect that they are more likely to leverage what they have. And if that includes the Magic The Gathering settings, which are by definition different planes, Planejammer becomes more likely. That being said, I think that we are more likely to see something that evokes classic Spelljammer than just putting ships on the Astral Plane.

Remove ads