• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Spelljammer in D&D 5e Speculation: How Will the Setting Be Changed?

dave2008

Legend
Just don't feel it: Spelljammer is for physical travel, Planescape is for outer dimensions.
Sure, but why couldn't one book talk about both? I personally think both could existing and interact, but I am not sure how you would do that in one book. I would personally like a planejammer book (in fact that is basically what I will do regardless of what we get), but the closer we get to the book / product I have the feeling it will be a solely (at least mostly) Spelljammer book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure, but why couldn't one book talk about both? I personally think both could existing and interact, but I am not sure how you would do that in one book. I would personally like a planejammer book (in fact that is basically what I will do regardless of what we get), but the closer we get to the book / product I have the feeling it will be a solely (at least mostly) Spelljammer book.
Because both would be watered down as a result, since they represent different genres. Like, if they did Ravenhaven combining Ravenloft and Strixhaven in one book, the Gothic Horror and Magic School themes would be watered down.

dave2008

Legend
Removing the "out there stuff" would be a deal breaker. That's a large part of the draw. I know the tagline is "D&D...in SPAAAACE!" but if that's all it is...the exact same races, monsters, classes...only in space. Damn, that's dull. Ships powered by space hamsters is the cool part. Crystal Spheres and the weird, absurd, crazy stuff is the cool part.
Not to everyone, I loath the idea of Crystal Spheres. I can't explain why, they just rub me the wrong way.
The Phlogiston is the cool part.
Never really like the Phlogiston either, but I could get on board with a reimagine Phlogiston
Remove those and it's like the '60s or '70s without the psychedelics. There's no point. The more bizarre the better.
Everyone is different, I grew up in the '70s without psychedelics and it was till awesome.

dave2008

Legend
Because both would be watered down as a result, since they represent different genres. Like, if they did Ravenhaven combining Ravenloft and Strixhaven in one book, the Gothic Horror and Magic School themes would be watered down.
Whether they are separate books or combined I imagine they will be watered down. That is "The Way," for 5e. I just think you could get some interesting cross pollination with one book that you are unlikely with two.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
All Spelljammer ships will now be powered by the Feywild.
In the original Spelljammer, there were a ton of different ships, and they were powered in a ton of different ways, so at least adding a subtype that has something to do with Fey (if there is a Feywild in the Wildspace) wouldn't really be out of the question. From the classic "consumes your spell slots", to the "powered by psionics", to "powered by devoured souls", to "powered by Beholder lasers", "powered by space plants" and so on, "powered by fey magic" isn't really any weirder.

But, also, the "all" statement here is what's wrong. No. That's not going to happen. And if this was just a joke (which I think it is) it isn't even accurate for what you're referencing.

Dire Bare

Legend
I predict a change in focus . . . similar to the "Shadow of the Spider Moon" setting from Polyhedron 151. A focus on a singular "solar system", while mentioning the possibility of travel between crystal spheres.

Above, a poster mentioned that the point of Spelljammer was to connect the various settings . . . I disagree. That's certainly a part of the meta-setting, but the main point was having shipboard adventures . . . in space! IMO, of course.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I hope, at the very least, that WotC has more visually appealing and evocative art for its early ads for whatever form it takes than this (which was the first ad for Spelljammer I remember seeing in fall 1989). ;) :p:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 153531
Well, compare that to the Spelljammer art that we've gotten in 5e:
1647456628892.png

1647456683941.png

1647456718921.png

1647456747339.png

1647456772138.png

I think there's a pretty good chance of the cover art and art inside of an official Spelljammer book looking really awesome.
This is possibly a draft of the future Spelljammer book, as it looks to have a Beholder and Boo, the miniature giant space hamster, on the cover.
1647456885553.png

darjr

I crit!
Oi! I had the above image stored next to images of deep sea monsters from the Netherdeep book and just realized the synergy there!

WotC and their subtle compounded synergies.

Remove ads