Spelljammer Spelljammer in D&D 5e Speculation: How Will the Setting Be Changed?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree with your genre breakdown of Spelljammer and Planescape 99%! :)

But . . . blending Spelljammer "fantasy space" adventure with planar adventure is still a great idea. It just wouldn't really be Planescape. Planescape was just as much the weird planar locales as it was the weird planar factions and weird tone. We had planar adventure in D&D before Planescape, we can have it again without Planescape. And there is plenty of inspiration from fiction for the ship that travels between worlds . . . .

That said, I really do want WotC to do a true Planescape release for 5E at some point. Focused on Sigil, the factions, and all that weird fantasy goodness. I think I might go boot up "Torment" tonight, and revel in some weird fantasy nostalgia . . . .
I mean, you could, but it wouldn't be on-theme, hence my Ravenhaven example: of course you can mix the streams, but it gets dilluted.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I guess I disagree with this viewpoint. For instance I think you could do Planescape without the great wheel (of course that is a 5e thing already) or Spelljammer without Crystal Spheres. Not to mention that there sections to could work with both sections (like "factions). The real issue is that both a starting point and I don't see a book from WotC having two starting points. Of course, this is supposed to be one of those new formats isn't it?
I mean, you could...but why? It'd be like making Ravenloft without Domains.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ya, I don't get that "hyoerfocused" feel from WotC material. So I guess we will just disagree on this perspective.
I'd only describe Strixhaven as hyperfocused, due to how deep it dives into a specific campaign. But all these books go into bringing in a particular genre feel to D&D: Planescape and Spelljammer share nothing in common, even totnally, so it doesn't make sense.

dave2008

Legend
I'd only describe Strixhaven as hyperfocused, due to how deep it dives into a specific campaign. But all these books go into bringing in a particular genre feel to D&D: Planescape and Spelljammer share nothing in common, even totnally, so it doesn't make sense.
Maybe. It would work for me because I am not a big fan of either of the settings, but I do find the ideas and concepts of the settings interesting. So it may not work for fans of either setting, but it could be great for casual admirers like me.

dave2008

Legend
I think this would be more like Mayonnaise and Honey.
Sure, but that is just your opinion (as the chocolate and caramel was mine). I bet if the did mix them, which I will state again I don't think they will, you would hate and I would love it. Different people want/like different things. That is what makes life & D&D forums so interesting!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe. It would work for me because I am a big fan of either of the settings, but I do find the ideas and concepts of the settings interesting. So it may not work for fans of either setting, but it could be great for casual admirers like me.
O meam, I'm not against mixing them in plau, by any means: but in terms of produ t development, they don't have any overlap, so I see no purpose to diluting two potentially strong products to make one muddled product that does neither tone justice.

dave2008

Legend
O meam, I'm not against mixing them in plau, by any means: but in terms of produ t development, they don't have any overlap, so I see no purpose to diluting two potentially strong products to make one muddled product that does neither tone justice.
Like I said, a product for me, not you. I don't want or need a product that does "justice" to either planescape or spelljammer. I'm not I fan of them, so I'm not worried about doing justice to them. I just want all the cool/fun ideas in one book instead of two! :)

Listen, we can go round and round on this, but we just want different things. That is OK. I do think you are more likely to get something closer to what you want than what I want so you've got that, maybe?

Remove ads