Spelljammer Spelljammer Price Increase - a Poll (MISSING OPTION ADDED)

How has the price increase impacted your purchasing plans?

• No change - Will buy at FLGS (discounted or not)

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • No change - Will buy at online game store (or other independent vendor)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No change - will buy at Amazon (or other big corporation)

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Change - would have bought at FLGS, but will buy at online game store because of price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change - would have bought at FLGS, but will buy at Amazon because of price

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Change - would have bought at online game store, but will buy at Amazon because of price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided - because of price

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Undecided - not sure if product interests me

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Not interested - regardless of price

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Will not buy because of price

Votes: 1 1.1%

Mercurius

Legend
Well, if you insist on removing context, like the hardcovers, the slipcase, the screen, and the double-sided map, then sure. But at that point it’s not an entirely honest comparison.
Oh, ok - now I'm being dishonest.

There is a reason why extras are just that: extras. Not everyone buys every DM's screen or wants to pay for a slipcase. For those folks, they are playing $20 more for a second side of a map, a DM's screen, and the "new format," all while keeping to a short page count. Meaning, stuff they might not want to spend $20.

I mean, some folks are going to defend every decision that WotC makes, but I think it is important to understand why others are disgruntled.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
No change - already preordered on D&D Beyond and will shortly preorder the alt-cover from my FLGS.

FYI, I think the price/page math people have thrown about is a bit off, since we're getting the regularly scheduled Tier 1 Intro Adventure and at least 14 pages of additional monsters, just free and digital and not actually printed on the page.

Weiley31

Legend
Well, the FLGS where I buy my DND books from all the time usually has the new books ten dollars less. Heck, they are selling the Alt Cover Rules Expansion Gift set for $139 currently. I'm expecting the same, a discount from retail, when the pre-orders come up. As for a permanent price increase for dnd books, well I guess we'll see once the pricing for Shadows of the Dragon Queen pop up via pre-orders.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Plus, Death House was 11 pages, while A Great Upheaval was 17 pages. If the Intro adventure is similar to either of those in length, we'll end up with a functional equivalent Spelljammer set of 220 pages for $70 before discounts. That's much more closely akin to Volo's Guide (222pp) though still a bit shy of Ghosts of Saltmarsh and Wild Beyond the Witchlight (both around 250pp). Plus, you get a DM's screen, which was $15 for the Reincarnated release. That means functionally 220 pages for $55 and signing away some of your personal data to WotC with subscription. And $5 is just easily associated with inflation.

Plus, I just bought it for $33 on DDB. I do have the Legendary Bundle though, and bought it sight-unseen.

Last edited:

I'm curious how the increase in the Spelljammer product has impacted your buying plans. What option fits your current plans?

Just clarify: By "online game store (or other independent vendor)" I mean any independently owned company that either specializes in RPGs, or is independently owned (e.g. Powells or Noble Knight). And "Amazon" could be another source, as long as it is a larger corporation that likely steeply discounts (e.g. Barnes & Noble or Walmart).
Ummmmmmmmmm where's the "Not buying because the online price is 80% higher than it should be" option?

My plan was to buy it on DDB.

However, the idea of paying $50 for 192 pages of digital book makes me want to slap myself lol.

Mercurius

Legend
Ummmmmmmmmm where's the "Not buying because the online price is 80% higher than it should be" option?

My plan was to buy it on DDB.

However, the idea of paying $50 for 192 pages of digital book makes me want to slap myself lol.
Sounds like you want the option that mysterious vanished as I edited the poll: "Change - Will not buy at all because of price." Not sure what happened. Maybe the Undecided option works best.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
This poll is a little odd by the way. I'm probably not going to get it at all because of the price, and that's not an option.

Remove ads