Spelljammer Spelljammer Price Increase - a Poll (MISSING OPTION ADDED)

How has the price increase impacted your purchasing plans?

• No change - Will buy at FLGS (discounted or not)

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • No change - Will buy at online game store (or other independent vendor)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No change - will buy at Amazon (or other big corporation)

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Change - would have bought at FLGS, but will buy at online game store because of price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change - would have bought at FLGS, but will buy at Amazon because of price

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Change - would have bought at online game store, but will buy at Amazon because of price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided - because of price

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Undecided - not sure if product interests me

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Not interested - regardless of price

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Will not buy because of price

Votes: 1 1.1%

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Presumably the plan is for the player-facing content to subsidize the content of the other two, since it's difficult to produce DM-facing content and really sell a lot of books. It's probably more correct to say that we'd never get anything like this if it wasn't structured this way. The amount of work to create the DM content is so high that it requires the player content to justify, and the player content doesn't have a meaningful reason to exist without the DM content.
This is a good point that can't be expressed deeply enough. The gm needs things that players don't & might not even be happy about but having it in a gm focused book means that it's less abhorrent. Of course that depends on if wotc are actually going to change much in the style beyond how many front & back covers there are.

JEB

Legend
FYI, I think the price/page math people have thrown about is a bit off, since we're getting the regularly scheduled Tier 1 Intro Adventure and at least 14 pages of additional monsters, just free and digital and not actually printed on the page.
You can get those free items without buying the actual Spelljammer product (the monsters at least), so it doesn't really seem like it should enter into the cost calculation.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That said, once again you are nitpicking what I said, looking for something to disagree with

Right, so now you are making it personal, asserting you know the thought processes in my head. This is not an improvement.

We are not telepaths. We do not know what the "main thrust" of your ideas are, except through your words. You wrote it. Don't blame anyone else for it being seen and considered. Next time, maybe just leave out the negative characterizations of others, hm?

I voted no change. But that isn't a fair vote. Spelljammer is, by far, my favorite published setting from any company, ever. It's the only setting I played strait out of the box without major changes in over 40 years of gaming, So I am willing to pay a lot more for that setting than any other (I was mentally preparing myself for $100). Any other product, and that price increase would likely have been a major consideration.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
You can get those free items without buying the actual Spelljammer product (the monsters at least), so it doesn't really seem like it should enter into the cost calculation.
Right, but they're still supporting Spelljammer. They're giving you bits of the book free. Just not including it in the book. But the book is priced as if they were part of the book. So people who don't actually buy it get those for free, but if you're going in on Spelljammer, you get essentially the same quantity of content, just some of it is digital only.

JEB

Legend
Right, but they're still supporting Spelljammer. They're giving you bits of the book free. Just not including it in the book. But the book is priced as if they were part of the book. So people who don't actually buy it get those for free, but if you're going in on Spelljammer, you get essentially the same quantity of content, just some of it is digital only.
Yeah, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. If it's not in the book, and your access to the material is completely separate from owning the book, it's not part of the value of the book. Just supporting material.

Remove ads