D&D 5E Spells that have disappeared...

R_J_K75

Legend
First one I brought back in my House Rules.
I've never had my players use it or used it as a player, but I don't see the world in D&D as portrayed in the core books functioning without it. Without permanency how do you create a magical item, create a dungeon that survives thousands of years or become a Lich? Even though it was seldom used in play, taking it out of the game is like saying there's no need for gravity. Enchant Item is another one iirc not in 5E.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I miss the way stoneskin used to work. It is still a spell now, but it has never been taken in my games since 4e came out. Back in 2e we used to have a 'plink' sound which meant there was a stoneskin and you just did no damage on that attack.
Now it is a 4th level spell that grants resistance to non-magical weapons.
yeah, that is also where I'm at: many are there only in name and are actually a pale shadow of their former self.
  • Stoneskin,
  • Barskin
  • Finger of death
  • Circle of Death
  • Enervation
  • Storm of Vengeance
  • Time stop

I guess there was a time those spells were OP and needed a nerf, but now they are just plain bad.

Now, spells that I love from my BG and NWN runs as a kid that arent in 5e:
  • Spell Mantle
  • Nature's Balance
  • Spell Trust
  • Nature's Beauty
  • Protection from Missile
  • Spell Deflection
  • Melf's Caustic Breath
  • Inflict Poison
  • Shout
  • Nahal's Reckless Dwomer, Chaos Shield etc

R_J_K75

Legend
  • Spell Mantle
I read 2Es Forgotten Realms Secrets of the Magister when it came out in 2000. It has some really cool rules for the Mantle spell, as well as many others. Obviously, that was a niche book with a very defined theme but had some good mechanics in it and remember it being an awesome read start to finish. Fizbans is probably the closest 5E has come to a thematic book like that that were more common in editions past. I hope to see more like these from WotC in the future.

Laurefindel

Legend
Glitterdust, my favorite 3e spell since it qas an AOE that ignored Magic Resistance, eliminated invisibility, and gave a -40 stealth penalty. I shut down many encounters, especially golem encounters, with one well-placed Glitterdust.

Those were the days.
GLITHERDUST!

I can’t believe I forgot about that one! That was my go-to spell for my thief/mage-because-elves-cannot-be-bards back in 2E (and then the rangers would make minced meat out of whatever I just stunned).

Hum, i wonder if could find my old spellbook…

R_J_K75

Legend
Hum, i wonder if could find my old spellbook…
I used to burn my characters if they died, that way the DM couldn't nefariously bring them back as some kind of undead or worse. As campaigns & groups came and went, I threw out lots of my PCs and notes; & some of it just got lost. From 2000 onward though I saved everything electronically, but it's hard to find. It's fun when I do come across the odd relic. I really wish I'd saved more of that stuff and sometimes envy people who did.

Remove ads