D&D 5E Spells that have disappeared...

G

Guest 7034872

Remember when evil clerics could cast spells in reverse? That was a cool bit of flavor.
Yep. Back when I played 1e, our rule was that any Cleric could do that, but a good one casting Darkness would have to roll against a possible alignment shift (and those were no joke back then). But you could do it if you really needed to. It gave Clerics something very powerful and flexible. Dangerous, but awfully helpful if your back was up against a wall.

Proctiv's Move Mountain.

It would be one thing if the spell just vanished, but DMs keep using flying castles and floating rocks in their games. Heck, even Critical Role used it! I want to do that, too!

Nebulous

Legend
I miss the way stoneskin used to work. It is still a spell now, but it has never been taken in my games since 4e came out. Back in 2e we used to have a 'plink' sound which meant there was a stoneskin and you just did no damage on that attack.
Now it is a 4th level spell that grants resistance to non-magical weapons.
I agree; the 5e version of stoneskin is extremely boring.

R_J_K75

Legend
Yeah, weren't both Clerics and Wizards able to cast Light/Darkness spells? That's my recollection, now that you mention it.
Its been over 20 years since I played 2E or 1E and I only played 1E never DMed. But I think in 2E there were no class restrictions and the spells that could be reversed I think were distinctly. I could be wrong or remembering our interpretation, but I think water breathing could be reversed to air breathing, Enlarge to Shrink, stuff like that.

If it were allowed. and someone did it, I'd pay for a side-by-side comparison of core spells throughout the editions.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I agree; the 5e version of stoneskin is extremely boring.
My 5e version is:
  • No concentration, duration of 1 hour.
  • No consumed ingredient
  • Grants 40 THP and while you have those THP, you have resistance to B/P/S damage.

I thought about going back to Immunity to B/P/S for 3 physical hits +1 per upcasted spell slot, or maybe a buffed Mirror Image with a roll against an AC of 17 to see if you hit the mage or one protective layer.

Remove ads