• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells which you dont allow

the Jester

Legend
Maldor said:
Raise Dead, Resurrection, True Resurrection
leave them alone these spells are here to help correct when DM's mess up and kill a PC.
PC are not ever suppose to premently die without the player consent. Why you might ask. simple D&D's main goal is not to challange. D&D is a game and the goal of all games is to be fun and few things are less fun as the death of a character so why make the game less fun then it has to be.

I respect your opinion but am in ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL disagreement. You may play in a group that prefers "no-killum" games, but many other groups do like the risk of death. We feel that it enhances the sweetness of success; that it adds tension and drama; that it turns things up a notch. A dm doesn't "mess up" when he kills a pc; he's letting the dice fall where they may. If anything, the player may have messed up by making poor choices; but even this isn't always the case. Sometimes it's just dumb luck. But many of us find it enhances the game.

Again, YMMV; I respect other play styles. All I ask in return is that you respect mine.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
the Jester said:
Again, YMMV; I respect other play styles. All I ask in return is that you respect mine.
Well, I would, James, but you're doing it wrong! :lol:

Seriously, a game with "revivify" but with no other back-from-death spells might be quite fun for me.

I don't think I've banned any core spells. Freedom of Movement gives you a big bonus to grapple checks instead of making you immune, but we try to cleave to the book.

Currently the game I'm running has no magic spells over 5th level, and additionally doesn't have anti-magic or planar/dimensional travel spells (it does have Teleport though).

Additionally, healing magic is around but tends to be more of the lower level sort. Folks have been fine with it and had plenty of fun.

As for any "back from the dead spells"...

I personally don't like killing characters. Whup 'em hard, sure. Kill 'em? No. But when the spell cap of 5th level was brought up, I explicitly said, "I don't try to kill characters. In fact, I personally prefer not to have death on the table at all. But if you want, when a character loses all their hit points, then they're dead. With the spell cap in place, it means no coming back from the dead.

So, we can either take death off the table, have it on there and make you create a new character, or I can keep the spell cap and simply have a mechanism to bring folks back from the dead that sidesteps the spell cap issue. What do you want to do?"

The group decided to go with character death and no comeback. *shrug* It's not _my_ choice but they're happy with it, so that's the important thing. I don't hold back either. So far I've almost killed the party a couple of times (TPK version) and individual characters (including my wife's) at least once. Nobody's actually died yet though, which I'm pleased about.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Maldor said:
it looks like many DM limet Polymorph to MM1 only I would suggest a diffrent approch of only allowing creatures they have seen or reasonably thought to have seen (cats, horses, etc..)
this is just more logical to me then some creature just can't be turned into and no one know why plus it might spark some roleplaying a wizard who collects seeing monsters or a quest to find a monster.

Oh, I didn't even mention that, thought it was basic sense to only allow what the player knows about (has seen or makes knowledge check on). I do have misgivings that it makes the spell much better for wizards, but then again...sorcerers get Wings of Flurry at the same spell level. *shrug*

Remove ads