• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells which you dont allow

Rugult

On Call GM
So far there are a few I would consider banning, but I likely won't as sometimes I enjoy pulling them on the players as a fair trade:

-Black Tentacles
-Tasha's Hideous Laughter (effectively save/die for lower levels)

Folly

First Post
Maldor said:
Raise Dead, Resurrection, True Resurrection
leave them alone these spells are here to help correct when DM's mess up and kill a PC.
PC are not ever suppose to premently die without the player consent. Why you might ask. simple D&D's main goal is not to challange. D&D is a game and the goal of all games is to be fun and few things are less fun as the death of a character so why make the game less fun then it has to be.

o_O

D&D is not suppose to challenge the players?

Greg K

Legend
Maldor said:
PC are not ever suppose to premently die without the player consent. Why you might ask. simple D&D's main goal is not to challange. D&D is a game and the goal of all games is to be fun and few things are less fun as the death of a character so why make the game less fun then it has to be.

While I don't think a DM should go out of their way to kill characters, I would hate to play in the type of game you described. I do not find it fun knowing my character could not die without my consent. In fact some very memorable moments have come from character deaths- some deaths noble and some very undignified.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I got rid of the mental stat boosters (fox's cunning, etc.) because I find spellcasters annoyingly complex enough. Instead, I gave a generous point buy to PCs and NPCs alike.

I nerf'd magic missile to cap out at 5th level rather than 5 dice of damage.

The various teleport spells have a lower range, but also no miss chance. You can only teleport somewhere you've already been.

Cheers, -- N

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Banned:
Wraithstrike
Rope Trick
Shivering Touch
Mass Resist Energy
Enervation: Until I find how to properly nerf it, it's WAY too good for its level. Energy Drain at level 9 is ok, though.
Energy Immunity (I think that's the right name...it's level 6, in SpC)
Greater Teleport
Mage's Disjunction
Gate
All the "new" polymorph spells that last round/level -- I like polymorph being for more than just combat, and most of these spells...are stupid.
Probably some more from SpC and other non-core books I can't think of right now...

Altered:
Polymorph: Limited to original MM for selections. The Cave Troll taught me to do this. ^_^ To be fair, I also am cautious with using blatantly broken monsters, particularly from MM 3+ (I pretend 2 doesn't even exist).
Shapechange: Also limited to original MM. Thinking of making it cost a small amount of XP each use, instead of the focus. I really don't want to ban or alter the mechanics of such a fun spell.
Haste: Grants extra move action instead of extra attack. Mobile fighters and those that rely on full attacks (flurrying monks, TWF rangers, etc...) seem to like it. I think Haste in general needs a nerf to balance it with Slow, though. Maybe reduced targets. (Slow is save negates, Haste always works, for largely the same mechanical benefits).
Knock: Lets you make Open Locks check (from a Medium range, as normal) even if untrained, and adds your CL to the check. I don't like spells that make skill checks obsolete...
Wings of Cover: Only grant cover bonus to AC, not auto-protection. Still blocks line of effect for spell targeting, may need to fix that, too...
Orb spells: Are Evocations. Still no SR, have found no problem with this.
All "save or die" spells: Leave victim at -9 and bleeding. (ie, 10% chance of stabilizing in time without any help. If Warforged weren't already banned, they'd still be in danger of dying, logic be damned!)

Still working on:
Alter Self: It's just sooooo good for a level 2!
Command Undead

Maldor

First Post
Greg K said:
While I don't think a DM should go out of their way to kill characters, I would hate to play in the type of game you described. I do not find it fun knowing my character could not die without my consent. In fact some very memorable moments have come from character deaths- some deaths noble and some very undignified.

you misread my players die all the time i said prement death such as no possability of bringing the character back if thay wish to move on to a diffrent chacter and leave the old one dead then i falls under consent.

Maldor

First Post
Folly said:
o_O

D&D is not suppose to challenge the players?

it is not the reason to play the game the reason poeple play is to have fun challenges can be fun and can not be fun that depents on the group. but have fun enjoy the game that is the goal of every player and DM i have ever met.

Maldor

First Post
it looks like many DM limet Polymorph to MM1 only I would suggest a diffrent approch of only allowing creatures they have seen or reasonably thought to have seen (cats, horses, etc..)
this is just more logical to me then some creature just can't be turned into and no one know why plus it might spark some roleplaying a wizard who collects seeing monsters or a quest to find a monster.

Derro

First Post
Rugult said:
So far there are a few I would consider banning, but I likely won't as sometimes I enjoy pulling them on the players as a fair trade:

-Black Tentacles
-Tasha's Hideous Laughter (effectively save/die for lower levels)

Don't ban, dude, nerf. :cool:

Make black tentacles vulnerable to force or a single elemental attack form. Give 'em 10 + caster level hit points per 5 or 10 foot square at you discretion. Think swarm. Since force and elemental magic are usually evocation that works against the conjuration of the tentacles. Wizard's duel.

For Tasha's Laughter make the saving throw work as hold person. Otherwise you're right. Death by stomping and all you can do is laugh.

Derro

First Post
Maldor said:
it looks like many DM limet Polymorph to MM1 only I would suggest a diffrent approch of only allowing creatures they have seen or reasonably thought to have seen (cats, horses, etc..)
this is just more logical to me then some creature just can't be turned into and no one know why plus it might spark some roleplaying a wizard who collects seeing monsters or a quest to find a monster.

Before anybody polymorphs into anything in my game they make a Knowledge (whatever) check against DC 10 + 2 x CR. If it's totally preposterous they just can't do it. Anybody attempting to turn into a stone giant must make a DC 30 Will save or suffer the Curse of Skoreas Stonebones.

Remove ads