Mordenkainen's Lucubration
Mordenkainen's Sword
Prismatic Spells
Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer
Rope Trick
Spiritual Weapon
Tensor's Transformation
Wish

Also about 90% or more of the spells found in the various WOTC supplements.

Derro

First Post
I see it on both your list so I gotta ask. Heroes feast? Is it the dove-tailing of the 12 hour immunity to poison and fear and the 15-min workday?

And Greg K, Tenser's Transformation? Just curious.

The only core spell I don't allow is broke-ass Glibness. That spell is just wrong.

Otherwise I'll allow just about anything. My players and I have a good understanding that for every cheesey trick they have I have three and only refrain from using them because as the GM I shouldn't unbalance the game in my favor. Spells are a big contributor to that.

Zelc

First Post
In the current high-powered campaign I'm in, the DM has banned only Alter Self, Polymorph, Polymorph Any Object, and Shapechange. Of course, they made it clear there is a caveat...

I'd probably also ban Wraithstrike. EDIT: Oh, and Disjunction.

Last edited:

From the SRD, timestop and black tentacles.

From the Spell Compendium, I allow in spells on a case by case basis. At the moment, the "Bite of" spells and kelpstrand have been refused.

B4cchus

Explorer
Although I haven't directly banned them (because they haven't entered the stage yet) I'd had serious thoughts about allowing wraithstrike and shivering touch.

Greg K said:
Without looking at my notes:

Changestaff
Fire Seeds
Goodberry
Hero Feast
Miracle
Mordenkainen's Lucubration
Mordenkainen's Sword
Prismatic Spells
Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer
Rope Trick
Spiritual Weapon
Tensor's Transformation
Wish

Also about 90% or more of the spells found in the various WOTC supplements.

What do you have against Goodberry? I am curious.

I would also like to hear your reasoning for Rope Trick and Spiritual Weapon, if you would share it.

physics_ninja

First Post
MongooseFamiliar said:
What do you have against Goodberry? I am curious.

I would also like to hear your reasoning for Rope Trick and Spiritual Weapon, if you would share it.

I imagine that Rope Trick and Goodberry make resting too easy. And Goodberries last 1 day per level. That means a 7th level druid could cast all of his spells on Goodberry (gaining an average of 5 berries per spell) and end up with enough food to last a party a week.

Personally, I like that because it means I don't have to waste a lot of time or energy on logistics if the adventure is in the middle of a desert.

I would like to know what the problem with Spirtual Weapon is.

Zelc

First Post
physics_ninja said:
I imagine that Rope Trick and Goodberry make resting too easy. And Goodberries last 1 day per level. That means a 7th level druid could cast all of his spells on Goodberry (gaining an average of 5 berries per spell) and end up with enough food to last a party a week.
Maybe Rope Trick, but Goodberries? Travel rations are cheap...

Remove ads