• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells which you dont allow

Greg K

Legend
Without looking at my notes:

Any spell detecting, dispelling protecting or otherwise targeting Chaos/Law
-Chaos Hammer
-Cloak of Chaos
-Detect Chaos
-Detect Law
-Dispel Chaos
-Dispel Law
-Dictum
-Magical Circle against Chaos
-Magic Circle against Law
-Order's Wrath
-Protection from Chaos
-Protection from Law
-Shield of Law
-Word of Chaos

Changestaff
Fire Seeds
Goodberry
Hero Feast
Miracle
Mordenkainen's Lucubration
Mordenkainen's Sword
Prismatic Spells
Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer
Rope Trick
Spiritual Weapon
Tensor's Transformation
Wish

Also about 90% or more of the spells found in the various WOTC supplements.

Derro

First Post
I see it on both your list so I gotta ask. Heroes feast? Is it the dove-tailing of the 12 hour immunity to poison and fear and the 15-min workday?

And Greg K, Tenser's Transformation? Just curious.

The only core spell I don't allow is broke-ass Glibness. That spell is just wrong.

Otherwise I'll allow just about anything. My players and I have a good understanding that for every cheesey trick they have I have three and only refrain from using them because as the GM I shouldn't unbalance the game in my favor. Spells are a big contributor to that.

Zelc

First Post
In the current high-powered campaign I'm in, the DM has banned only Alter Self, Polymorph, Polymorph Any Object, and Shapechange. Of course, they made it clear there is a caveat...

I'd probably also ban Wraithstrike. EDIT: Oh, and Disjunction.

Last edited:

From the SRD, timestop and black tentacles.

From the Spell Compendium, I allow in spells on a case by case basis. At the moment, the "Bite of" spells and kelpstrand have been refused.

B4cchus

Explorer
Although I haven't directly banned them (because they haven't entered the stage yet) I'd had serious thoughts about allowing wraithstrike and shivering touch.

Greg K said:
Without looking at my notes:

Changestaff
Fire Seeds
Goodberry
Hero Feast
Miracle
Mordenkainen's Lucubration
Mordenkainen's Sword
Prismatic Spells
Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer
Rope Trick
Spiritual Weapon
Tensor's Transformation
Wish

Also about 90% or more of the spells found in the various WOTC supplements.

What do you have against Goodberry? I am curious.

I would also like to hear your reasoning for Rope Trick and Spiritual Weapon, if you would share it.

physics_ninja

First Post
MongooseFamiliar said:
What do you have against Goodberry? I am curious.

I would also like to hear your reasoning for Rope Trick and Spiritual Weapon, if you would share it.

I imagine that Rope Trick and Goodberry make resting too easy. And Goodberries last 1 day per level. That means a 7th level druid could cast all of his spells on Goodberry (gaining an average of 5 berries per spell) and end up with enough food to last a party a week.

Personally, I like that because it means I don't have to waste a lot of time or energy on logistics if the adventure is in the middle of a desert.

I would like to know what the problem with Spirtual Weapon is.

Zelc

First Post
physics_ninja said:
I imagine that Rope Trick and Goodberry make resting too easy. And Goodberries last 1 day per level. That means a 7th level druid could cast all of his spells on Goodberry (gaining an average of 5 berries per spell) and end up with enough food to last a party a week.
Maybe Rope Trick, but Goodberries? Travel rations are cheap...

Remove ads