• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells you want them to bring back

I don't know why there should be a problem with some of the old spells getting shunted off to more appropriate base classes. It makes more sense for some spells.

I just don't see what the problem is in general with the OP. His desire is to play a class that is more complicated than the one the guy next to him is? Huh? Since when does it matter what the guy in the chair next to you is playing if YOUR character is fun? I'm mystified.

OpsKT

Explorer
Prestidigitation, which is an at-will utility power Wizards can take for free at first level, covers that. I frequently argue that it's the single most useful power in the entire game. Among its many uses are "Change the color of items in 1 cubic foot" and "Clean or soil items in 1 cubic foot".

You know... sometimes I think the internet has no sense of humor.

I know that about Prestidigitation. But it's a joke about needing emergency pants after a fight with... oh never mind.

I'm gonna go drink.

Pentius

First Post
I can't think of any spell off hand I'd want back. The things I used to like are all covered. I can say though, I don't want Wish to come back. It would either be open ended and wonky like it used to be, or it would be cleaned up and the ends tied a bit, in which case the backlash from angry fans would be annoying.

I know that about Prestidigitation. But it's a joke about needing emergency pants after a fight with... oh never mind.

I'm gonna go drink.

God speed.

Mapache

Explorer
You know... sometimes I think the internet has no sense of humor.

I'm gonna go drink.

There was no indication of your knowledge of this amongst the uses of Prestidigitation. And you can use it for dealing with need-clean-pants situations. My wizard has certainly made use of it after every fight in a sewer, and has yet to encounter a situation that led to producing his own sewage.

MarkB

Legend
Most of the ones I missed initially (Rope Trick, Fools Gold, Continual Light/Flame, etc) are back as rituals, though not always under the same name.

Or as magic items. For instance, our group currently uses an Exodus Knife to provide the same function that Rope Trick used to.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't know why there should be a problem with some of the old spells getting shunted off to more appropriate base classes. It makes more sense for some spells.
It makes more sense for the old Illusionist spell, Chromatic Orb, to be a Chaos Sorcerer spell than to put it in the newly-re-introduced school of Illusion?

I just don't see what the problem is in general with the OP. His desire is to play a class that is more complicated than the one the guy next to him is? Huh? Since when does it matter what the guy in the chair next to you is playing if YOUR character is fun? I'm mystified.
You've never met gamers who play the game mostly to reinforce their elitist egotism?

It makes more sense for the old Illusionist spell, Chromatic Orb, to be a Chaos Sorcerer spell than to put it in the newly-re-introduced school of Illusion?

There wasn't a school of illusion at the time...

Beyond that? I don't even recall the details of the old Chromatic Orb particularly. I wouldn't call it one of the real iconic spells from AD&D. I mean there were a lot of spells in AD&D, if you're going to make the names of every one of them sacrosanct, that's a lot of good power names. I'd think it would be better to make a short list. Probably the names of spells I can actually remember the effect of would be a good start. Beyond that I'd say yeah, they are going to end up with whichever modern Arcane class best fits. That might not be exactly the same as whatever one it was in 1977. For that matter many spells (entire lists actually) were eliminated in 2e, and numerous spells were in more than one list. It can be hard to say exactly what class some of them should 'classically' belong to.

You've never met gamers who play the game mostly to reinforce their elitist egotism?

Oh, no, not really. Never really made the mistake of inviting them to my table...

Incenjucar

Legend

The chromatic spells, at least in 2nd edition, SCREAM Elemental Chaos. They're a rainbow of damage types and effects.

Remove ads