D&D Movie/TV Spider-Man: Homecoming Writers Talk D&D Movie

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley talked to Hollywood Reporter about the D&D movie, it's comedic themes, and how the directors are working directly with WotC. They directed Game Night, and wrote Spider-Man: Homecoming. They mentioned that they had been supposed to fly here to the UK to scout locations in March, but the pandemic interrupted that. They also mentioned comedic elements...

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley talked to Hollywood Reporter about the D&D movie, it's comedic themes, and how the directors are working directly with WotC.

intro-1589208387.jpg

They directed Game Night, and wrote Spider-Man: Homecoming. They mentioned that they had been supposed to fly here to the UK to scout locations in March, but the pandemic interrupted that.

They also mentioned comedic elements and characters in the movie, which currently has a projected release date of May 27th, 2022. No actors are yet cast.

It's not an out and out comedy, but it is an action-fantasy movie with a lot of comedic elements and characters we hope people will really get into and enjoy watching their adventures.

Daley plays a weekly D&D game, so he is familiar with the genre. But the pair are working directly with WotC.

We haven't been accosted by players yet, but we are working with the Wizards of the Coast, the brand holders of D&D. They are the experts. We have people there that we work with and it's pretty helpful, because as much as we know about D&D, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the 45 years of lore that's out there, so these guys are such a resource. If we need a particular spell that a [high]-level wizard could do, they could give us a list. It's a lot of fun.

R_J_K75

Legend
I would say A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are good examples of striking the right comedic balance. I hope they don't over do it or try and capture the essence of players sitting around the table cracking jokes and translating that to the big screen. This is probably their last real chance of making a decent D&D movie to start a franchise that people will take serious.

Dire Bare

Legend
It's poetic that one of the "Freaks & Geeks" will be writing the new D&D movie. I've always loved John Francis Daley as an actor, and as I've learned more about his behind-the-camera work, I become even more impressed. Just about every project he's credited writing, directing, or producing for I've enjoyed! And some of his upcoming projects seem interesting too! M.A.S.K.!!!

I'm getting pretty pumped for the upcoming D&D film . . . but I was hurt so bad by the first one . . . .

Mercurius

Legend
Part of the problem with trying translate the MCU humor to D&D is that it is an entirely different world. Game of Thrones humor worked because it fit the characters and world; "D&D jokes" will almost certainly be horrible.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
There's a good article on Paste right now about how lucky we were LotR came out before the MCU......and it made me think of the D&D movie we are going to get next, and wonder.....will they pass on the mistakes of trying to be MCU, or make them and it will work, or make them and it won't work?

I would say A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are good examples of striking the right comedic balance. I hope they don't over do it or try and capture the essence of players sitting around the table cracking jokes and translating that to the big screen. This is probably their last real chance of making a decent D&D movie to start a franchise that people will take serious.
Personally, to me, what they're describing sounds more along the lines of Pirates of the Caribbean: lighter and breezier than the Star Wars movies. Everybody already knew the "Pirates of the Caribbean" as a fun little ride at the Disney parks, so rolling with it and making it exciting but goofy was probably a better strategy than asking audiences to take it super seriously. I think a similar logic applies to the D&D brand.

Remove ads

Remove ads