Spider-Man: No Way Home *spoilers*

So, this movie could also serve as the 3rd movie for Andrew's Spider-Man.

Fun fact: Dafoe insisted on being able to do as many of his own stunts as possible despite being in his sixties. Again we get the spider-man pointing at spider-man meme!

Also, Goblin REALLY hates Peter's back.

Stalker0

Legend
I think it wasn't so much that he was taking away the choice of his friends. It was the sacrifice he had to make to ensure that the multiverse didn't completely break apart. Dr Strange wasn't willing to cast the spell with a whole bunch of exceptions again - so it was a case of "all or nothing".
For clarity, I was good with Spiderman asking Strange to cast the spell again, that was very appropriate and heroic.

My critique was later on, when he going to tell his friends who he is....but ultimately doesn't. That is the part that didn't work for me.

Bolares

Hero
For clarity, I was good with Spiderman asking Strange to cast the spell again, that was very appropriate and heroic.

My critique was later on, when he going to tell his friends who he is....but ultimately doesn't. That is the part that didn't work for me.
I don’t know. That’s a typical peter parker reaction. Take responsibility for everything and decide without consulting others that they are better off without him

pukunui

Legend

Ah I see. I took that as being “they seem happy and they’re going to MIT. I don’t want to risk jeopardizing their happiness again.”

Still, I expect we’ll see a reunion / remembrance at some point in the future.

GreyLord

Legend
  • When Peter decides not to tell MJ and Ned about who he is, I think people took it as heroic, but I did not. He already tried to manipulate the world in having them forget him. And now he is taking away the choice of his friends. I get the whole "I don't want them in danger"....but its their choice to make. Peter even talked about that one of the major differences between him and the other two spiderman, is he had learned to work as a team...but now leaves that team behind. I think on a more "meta" level, probably the reason for that is it leaves the door open based on how the Sony/Marvel negotiations go in the future. If they get the actors back on board and Sony in tow....than we may finally get that "remember me" scene and move on. If they don't, it gives them a clean slate to move on if they need to.

• While Doctor Strange is an impulsive character, I think they pushed that a bit too far in this movie for plot reasons. Strange even gets on Peter "wait you didn't even try some other options before coming to me"....but damn Strange is the one starting a world changing spell without even sitting down with Peter, telling him what it was going to do, and then making sure that's what he wanted. Literally he is about to massively change the world, and he acts like its just a 5 minute appointment, quick and clean off to the next. In that context, thank god Wong is the sorcerer supreme, Strange is way too impulsive and irresponsible to be wielding that authority.

• I was so sure that at some point when they talked about "the tingle", that one of the other Spiderman would finally say "you mean the Spidersense?"....and we would finally have that. They are STILL calling it the tingle....come on!

1. I HATED the ending because of this. He breaks his promise to MJ of all things! The fact that he just leaves...just rubs me the wrong way. If we are going to do that...then how...when everyone has forgotten him (and apparantly it erases pictures they have, yearbook stuff, journals, everything that Ned and MJ would have had to make them start wondering who this kid Peter Parker is and why they forgot him) does he even get ID? How does he get a job (those are some pretty swanky clothes he has on at the end for someone who can't even get a decent job) or an apartment in NYC (unless you are living in a place far worse than what we see at the end, he's not going be able to get it without some ID and such)?

There would be a LOT of stuff that reminds people that he is Peter Parker out there, even if it was erased from their minds initially. However, even worse, if it DID delete all that stuff, he shouldn't be in the system anymore as a US citizen or have anything able to identify him from Social Security to State ID.

Enjoyed the movie, hated the ending.

2. I wonder with Doctor Strange if this is hinting at the next movie. Perhaps this Doctor Strange is a DIFFERENT Doctor Strange than we had initially, and this one is actually reckless. If you remember the ending "trailer" there are going to be TWO Doctor Strange's, with one being the cause of all the trouble in the next movie...or so it appears.

3. They really made Jamison to be the TRUE villain of the movie. That's also what was really missing. With Peter being as smart as he was, he should realize that the Goblin was just acting on it's nature, though it was evil and the direct cause. The indirect cause of the trouble and basically all the horrible stuff that occurred was Jamison. He never got his situation where he found justice (either by coming around and actually admitting Spiderman may have done good, or admitting he (Jamison) actually did some pretty big evil stuff, OR...finally it being found out that he is really a villain and because of his actions has caused a LOT of bad things to occur (perhaps that is too like some news agencies in the real world presently, but if they are going to include this type of idea in the film replicating what some news are doing in the real world, at least indulge in the fantasy that in the film world justice can actually happen).

Staffan

Legend
Just came back from seeing the movie, and I really did like it a lot. Thinking back on it, there was one element I wasn't super-fond of: The Daily Bugle being Infowars, in that it's more about editorializing and pushing a narrative (oh, and supplements!) than actual news. Classic JJJ has, with the exception of his gigantic hate-on for Spider-Man, always been a really good publicist. There have been several occasions where he has taken personal hits because of his journalistic integrity.

We did get him calling for compromising footage of Spider-Man though, so that's something.

On the plus side, it seems the movie is fixing one of my main complaints about MCU Spider-Man: the "heir of Tony Stark" thing. At the end, we have Spider-Man back in a suit he seems to have sewed himself (we see a sewing machine in the apartment), living in a crappy apartment where it's clear he won't necessarily be able to pay rent. That's the Spider-Man I recognize, not the one whose suit has nanotech and stuff.

pukunui

Legend
What I want to know is: how did Aunt May wash the green goop off his suit? He couldn’t get it off with soap or whatever else he tried. What did she use to get it clean?

(It was funny how he had to wear it inside out for a bit.)

Remove ads