Spider-Man: No Way Home *spoilers*

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Not really cultures are different the world over. You guys probably wouldn't get pantomimes, or how offensive our football chants are for example.

I'm genuinely curious if it is just a US thing or does it happen in other parts of the world.
nobody gets pantomimes, but they are fun

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Not really cultures are different the world over. You guys probably wouldn't get pantomimes, or how offensive our football chants are for example.

I'm genuinely curious if it is just a US thing or does it happen in other parts of the world.
No one cheers at the movies in Italy. I was surprised the first time I saw a movie in the US. Definitely a cultural thing.

Vael

Legend
I waited until the theatre count was low enough to risk it, saw it yesterday.

Overall, an enjoyable Spiderman outing. Because it does callback each other movie, it's hard to judge it on it's own. This movie comes with built in nostaglia goggles. Cast is solid, my crush on Andrew Garfield was renewed.

Despite Charlie Cox popping up in media, I managed to avoid spoilers and not connect that social appearance with a cameo, so his appearance as Matt Murdock was a pleasant surprise. And a good scene, hopefully he'll be a better lawyer in the greater MCU. I assume this means we can expect an appearance in She-Hulk?

My fav bit was probably the Spiders-men having that huddle up moment of "how do we work as a team?". Also the look on Garfield's face when he saves MJ.

So, solid movie, but I'm not quite willing to give it the accolades I've seen from others.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Just back from seeing it - really enjoyed it, particularly the three Peters talking to each other and the interaction between the relevant Spider-Man and his villain (and Andrew’s redemption of sorts saving MJ). For a second I did think GG had killed the Tobey Spider-Man rather than just injuring him - ”I’ve been stabbed before” lol …

Was it just me or was the flat that Peter moved into at the end, very similar to the one Tobey’s Peter had? Maybe all inexpensive flats in NYC all look the same 😉

GreyLord

Legend

You have a VERY WRONG idea of what happens in the US.

In the US it is very much like it is in the UK. Normally, you won't hear a peep during a movie in the US and if you do peep, you may get dirty looks or even asked to leave.

HOWEVER...there are a few movies, especially premiere night in some places, where there is clapping and other items. In some places in the US with some movies there are some that hoot and holler I suppose and it has been getting worse over the years. I was surprised that it is now done with certain movie crowds AFTER the night of the premiere. Not sure what to think about that.

It IS a thing in the UK though, at least recently. Know someone who went to a movie (this one, actually, that the thread is about), and you know what, much to their annoyance, there was clapping and other things going on during the movie. I will say it annoyed them greatly, but there you go.

So...It's not just the US it appears.

Most of the time it is VERY MUCH looked down upon to clap and shout at a cinema in the US during a movie. To think that it is normal to talk and clap during the show in the US is an incorrect assumption and could, depending on the movie and time of it, get you kicked out of the movie itself.

Staffan

Legend
You have a VERY WRONG idea of what happens in the US.

In the US it is very much like it is in the UK. Normally, you won't hear a peep during a movie in the US and if you do peep, you may get dirty looks or even asked to leave.

HOWEVER...there are a few movies, especially premiere night in some places, where there is clapping and other items. In some places in the US with some movies there are some that hoot and holler I suppose and it has been getting worse over the years. I was surprised that it is now done with certain movie crowds AFTER the night of the premiere. Not sure what to think about that.

It IS a thing in the UK though, at least recently. Know someone who went to a movie (this one, actually, that the thread is about), and you know what, much to their annoyance, there was clapping and other things going on during the movie. I will say it annoyed them greatly, but there you go.

So...It's not just the US it appears.

Most of the time it is VERY MUCH looked down upon to clap and shout at a cinema in the US during a movie. To think that it is normal to talk and clap during the show in the US is an incorrect assumption and could, depending on the movie and time of it, get you kicked out of the movie itself.
Here in Sweden, I've only seen it during particularly climactic moments. For example, when they showed the Special Edition of Star Wars, everyone cheered when the Death Star got blown up.

Richards

Legend
Unless you're at a screening of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"...then all bets are off.

I finally saw this today with my three boys. We all pretty much agreed it was our third-favorite of the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies. Not that it was a bad movie, there was just so much that watered it down. Maybe we let the hype lead us to expect a much better movie, but this was just...meh.

I do like the fact that it ended with Peter back in a homemade Spider-Man suit, trying to make ends meet. While I've enjoyed Tom Holland's Peter Parker, I was never a big fan of the Spider-Man suit being a piece of Stark tech. I'm glad to see we'll be going back to his comic book roots from this point on.

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Finally saw it, was sick for a while. Posting this before reading so I can get my thoughts off. Have to say five weeks after it came out the theater was still 3/4 full. On the other hand, not a huge amount of out-loud crowd reaction.

Quite enjoyed it, but #1 and #2 beat this for me. But apart of that may be that I saw the first two Tobey McGuire moves, none of the Andrew Garfield movies, and none with the first after-credits scene. The other thing is that seeing it this late while I avoided discussions, I couldn't avoid various memes so a number of the twists were spoiled for me.

On the other hand, loved the Matt Murdock appearance, and Doc Ock, and Green Goblin. And I knew who the others were from other sources.

Thrilled, simply thrilled with how they handled Otto and Osborn. Just magnificent.

Okay, they didn't do an origin story for MCU Spider-man, they didn't need to have May do the Great Responsibility line and get killed off. I know it was a callback, but it felt cheap, like they were mimicking it instead an homage.

I don't understand at the end why MJ didn't just write on her arm, in her own handwriting, "trust Peter Parker, he's telling the truth", and then have Peter stay for when the forgetfulness spell goes off. Him being there, and them being there with no explanation, could have been a great place t remind them.

Remove ads