Spiderman No Way Home Trailer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And another aspect is that, if nobody ever knew he was Spider-man, that means Tony Stark never knew he was Spider-man. Technically he should lose the fancy suits and gadgets the moment the spell completes.

If he loses the gadgets, then he probably dies at the hands of Mysterio, and isn't able to ask for the spell to be cast - paradox.

Luckily, Tony is dead. It is like he's hiding in an apocalypse - the information didn't and can't leak from him, so he can know... and then die again, and everything's fine.

I think I get what might have gone wrong with the spell! It did not wipe everyone's memories, it transported Strange and Parker into an alternate timeline where his secret was never revealed. And then the two have to travel the timelines to find their way home again. This is why we will see other versions of Spider-Man and see villains from the other two trilogies. And with a title like No Way Home, maybe they stay stuck in the Multiverse until the next Doctor Strange movie, where they finally make it home before the Madness sets in.

MarkB

Legend
If he loses the gadgets, then he probably dies at the hands of Mysterio, and isn't able to ask for the spell to be cast - paradox.
Or Mysterio never tries to kill him, and Skrull!Fury never tries to recruit him, because he isn't in charge of Stark's legacy, and Mysterio never exposes him to the world - de-paradox.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Or Mysterio never tries to kill him, and Skrull!Stark never tries to recruit him, because he isn't in charge of Stark's legacy, and Mysterio never exposes him to the world - de-paradox.

It is Skrull!Fury, not Skrull!Stark.

And Peter is in Venice and on the scene when the Water Elemental attacks, regardless. He'd still be involved at that time. Fury wouldn't give Peter the Glasses, but he'd still want Spider-Man to help deal with the Elementals, so Peter is probably still involved, and will still eventually figure out what Mysterio is doing, and need to die.

Note: If Stark and Peter never meet, it is not clear the Glasses would become a McGuffin. They are only in play because Stark bequeathed them to Peter.

Rune

Once A Fool
It is Skrull!Fury, not Skrull!Stark.

And Peter is in Venice and on the scene when the Water Elemental attacks, regardless. He'd still be involved at that time. Fury wouldn't give Peter the Glasses, but he'd still want Spider-Man to help deal with the Elementals, so Peter is probably still involved, and will still eventually figure out what Mysterio is doing, and need to die.

Note: If Stark and Peter never meet, it is not clear the Glasses would become a McGuffin. They are only in play because Stark bequeathed them to Peter.
Strictly speaking, the glasses are not a Macguffin, since they actually do something. The entire point of including a Macguffin is that it could be anything. It’s just a thing, whose sole function is to be desired.

The very fact that the glasses have a function in the movie keeps them from being a Macguffin.

And since we’re on the subject of the glasses, I wonder why no one talks about how Mysterio never handed control of EDITH back to Parker (in the way Parker had to pass it to him earlier in the bar scene). We can’t even be sure that Parker has the real glasses.

My bet is that Mysterio (with control of EDITH) is our Sinister Sixth.

GaelMaverick

Villager
Strictly speaking, the glasses are not a Macguffin, since they actually do something. The entire point of including a Macguffin is that it could be anything. It’s just a thing, whose sole function is to be desired.

The very fact that the glasses have a function in the movie keeps them from being a Macguffin.

And since we’re on the subject of the glasses, I wonder why no one talks about how Mysterio never handed control of EDITH back to Parker (in the way Parker had to pass it to him earlier in the bar scene). We can’t even be sure that Parker has the real glasses.

My bet is that Mysterio (with control of EDITH) is our Sinister Sixth.
That is a good guess. What about the rumor that Garfield´s spidey will be a villain? Since reading that I thought that he would be the one behind the "multiversal" Sinister Six, and its final member.

Rune

Once A Fool
That is a good guess. What about the rumor that [ Spoiler ]? Since reading that I thought that he would be the one behind the "multiversal" Sinister Six, and its final member.
I prefer to ignore rumors. Even when they are accurate (which is not often) knowing what they are ahead of actually watching the movie/show/whatever can never positively affect my viewing experience.

At best they will lack the necessary context of the surrounding movie/show to be meaningful. At worst, they will spoil elements that are meant to be revealed in a certain context. For no good reason and no benefit to me, as a viewer.

For my own sake, I will assume the rumor you’re talking about is inaccurate and promptly forget it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Sure. Technically incorrect use of the term. Good on you for stopping someone on the internet from using a word incorrectly.

Rune

Once A Fool
Sure. Technically incorrect use of the term. Good on you for stopping someone on the internet from using a word incorrectly.
Really, I was just making an excuse to transition into talking about how Peter Parker doesn’t currently control EDITH.

But, yay me. I won something.*

*(Nothing.)

Remove ads