D&D 5E Split the adv die, idea for a mechanic, advise please.

darjr

I crit!
When a certain class gets advantage they can split the action and instead do that thing twice.

Attack with advantage? Split the die so t can be two attacks without advantage.

???

Just popped in my noggin

Dausuul

Legend
Applying this to attacks would be a major power boost (about +40% to damage output for a typical attack with advantage). That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not a change to undertake lightly. What purpose did you have in mind? What class would get this ability, and under what circumstance?

I wouldn't even try applying it to non-attacks; that would turn into a nest of rules conundrums. What does it mean to "do that thing twice" on an initiative roll? A Stealth check? A saving throw?

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
It's a cool idea! Another idea would be to allow the player to "save" the second d20 result for their next d20 roll. So if you roll an 18 and a 16, you use 18 for this action, and save the 16 for your next d20 roll.

Uta-napishti

Adventurer
Samurai Fighter Level 15:
Rapid Strike XGE p31
Starting at 15th level, you learn to trade accuracy for swift strikes. If you take the Attack action on your turn and have advantage on an attack roll against one of the targets, you can forgo the advantage for that roll to make an additional weapon attack against that target, as part of the same action. You can do so no more than once per turn.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hmm. Two flat attacks is way better than just one with advantage. What about two attacks (actions, whatevs) at a negative modifier? That sounds like more of a real choice for the player.

It'd be an awesome subclass feature for a rogue or fighter, where it's not an opportunity to stack a tonne of damage
Or even a monk or barbarian
Maybe even a ranger

Really, anyone but a paladin

aco175

Legend
My group plays with the flanking optional rules so this would not work in these tables.

I find the idea cool for thieves that never get a 2nd attack. Maybe make it melee only to prevent the hide and pop out with advantage to now shoot twice instead once with advantage.

Remove ads