D&D 5E Spoiler Question for Tomb of Annihilation

guachi

Hero
Spoiler Question for Tomb of Annihilation
I am merely a player but my DM asked me a question on resolving something that has come up in our game.

We are in Omu and are in location 4 exploring a temple for one of the nine puzzle cubes. Location 4d (p100) states "Applying 50 pounds or more to the floor causes the portcullises in area 4C to rise with a loud clatter, whereupon the clay gladiators emerge from their cells and quickly make their way to the pit."

The clay gladiators are CR 5 gladiators with extra abilities and immunities. Our party is 3 level 5 PCs and a level 7 PC. Four CR 5 creatures seems a bit much to face all at once for a level 5-ish party.

Is it your reading that all four clay gladiators are released at once?

Also, the clay gladiator "can't be disarmed". If it can't be disarmed, what happens when you cast heat metal on his bronze spear? Does he drop it or not?

SuperTD

Explorer
That is the intent, yes. Level 5 is a think slightly lower than expected for that area - I think you're meant to be around 6-7. Having one character 2 levels higher than the others seems odd, and will likely cause issues. As for heat metal, I would assume that it takes the fire damage but does not drop the weapon - since it is a construct it probably can't feel pain.

guachi

Hero
The module says that the Forbidden City part of Omu is for levels 5-8. It's only area 4 so the DM though that level 5-6 would be appropriate. But it's not. It's also the kind of fight that even if we could win it would be a 5MWD fight and I, for one, am getting tired of all the 5MWD fights we've had so far in ToA.

I, the fighter/rogue, went down the path carefully as we didn't see anything in the arena. The gladiators rushed out, I ran away, and so did everyone else on the top floor. We tried to come up with a plan to defeat them and then the session ended. As far as I can see, it's unwinnable if we have to face all four at once.

Prism

Explorer
Could you block the first in the doorway? Otherwise if the fight looks too hard then retreat until a later time

guachi

Hero
Spoiler I probably shouldn't have read, but the DM handed me to book to get my opinion on the encounter:

You can block them but you won't get the spear you need if they don't die in the arena. So you can trap them in the hallway and kill them one by one but it does you no good. At best you can let one into the arena and fight them two at a time - the one that's in the arena and the one you've trapped in the hallway.

Our party is a fighter/rogue, land druid, nature cleric, lore bard. There aren't enough AOE spells to make a big difference. We can buff with bless or spiritual guardians from the nature cleric and the druid could cast faerie fire. We have a wand of fear that won't work and the bard's hypnotic pattern is useless.

Stormdale

Explorer
My guys spent the last 2 weeks adventure in that shrine. I have a mixed level party:
• Paladin/Warlock 9
• Druid 8
• Wizard 8
• Barbarian 7 (killed and replaced by a bard 5 for 2nd session)
• Cleric 5

Barbarian decided to swing down into the pit, which triggered the clay warriors. He was surrounded and cut down in a round while the rest of the party watched.

Rest of the party then retreated (they wer low on spells and hit points due to having just racked shrine 3). Next day they went back and still didn’t explore past the first room. The Paladin (has mst hit points and highest AC in the group) dropped down into the pit with fire support from above. Again outnumbered and soon in serious trouble. Wizard cast banishment on the paladin and saved her but the clay warriors went after the rest of the party emerging into the upper shrine area and all hell broke loose. Most of the party ended up jumping down into the pit to escape the warriors. One epic battle later and the party were victorious- the paladin reappeared half way though the battle and that really helped. Druid cast heat metal on one of the warriors and I ruled (as mentioned above) warrior took damage but didn’t drop the spear due to lack of feelings. The druid casting a spike growth also helped considerably as the warriors headed up the exit tunnel from the pit.

It was one of the hardest fights we’ve had in several months and the players really had to pull out all their tricks to win it and was surprised by their lack of exploration of the area first.

As others have said, key probably is trying to isolate one or two of the warriors and by blocking the exit from the pit. Drop someone down into it then they misty step out of it and you focus fire from above- the warriors are automatons so won’t be the brightest of opponents- though I played mine like relentless terminators. Plenty of options for resourceful/skilful players, not those expecting a fair fight and everything to be level appropriate.

Final comment: the city is a dangerous place, treat it like such and don't expect ANY fair fights.

Stormdale

guachi

Hero
I appreciate the play report! It sounds so exciting!

I don't think we can win with what we have but the Bard can cast his Heat Metal (and if he can stay out of range then casting it at 3rd level is useful!), the Druid can cast Spike Growth and hopefully get the golems for lots of damage as they run out. The cleric can have his Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weaponactive. Then, the Druid can drop his Spike Growth and cast Conjure Animals and give us 8 CR 1/4 targets. Though we'll have to get some DM help to give us something Small or Medium and preferably something that doesn't have poison damage. The Cleric will have to recast Spirit Guardians to designate all the summoned creatures.

Oh, and maybe the Druid could cast Thorn Whip from above and pull the golem 10 feet upward and then drop it for 1d6 more damage. That should work, right?

We'd still die but if the DM only gave us three golems instead of four we might be able to pull it off.

Stormdale

Explorer
Sounds like you've plenty of damage dealing options there. A spike growth in the exit tunnel so they have to pass though it and then another as they exit into the upper shrine? Any web spells to fill up the tunnel to the upper level? Our wizard cast 8x 1/4 CR creatures to help out as well. Also don't be afraid to exit the shrine so try to keep that exit open. Use faerie fire too- every little bit helps

The key may be blocking the door/passage down to the pit level so they can only get you one at a time- do all you can to keep your tank up and if necessary...RUN! Or drop down into the pit and then they need to get down to you- which hopefully means going back down the tunnel, through spike growths, spiritual guardians etc.

I think if well prepared then you have a good shot.

Stormdale

Remove ads