• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

[Spoilers] 5e version of Sabotage encounter in Island of the Axis of the World

Tobold

Explorer
Hi there!

I ran a shortened version of the Zeitgeist adventure path in 4th edition, and am now starting to run a 5th edition version with new players. In comparison I noticed that from the Sabotage encounter the two fire sprites that were part of it in 4e have been removed in 5e. I am wondering whether that doesn’t make the fight too easy for my group of 5 players level 3.

Has anyone here run this encounter in 5e and can tell me how easy or hard it was for his group? I was thinking to add two magma mephits (CR 1/2) in the role that they had in the 4e version, slowing the pursuit of Sokana. Spellcasters in 5e are glass cannons, and I don’t want her to die too early in the encounter. What do you think?

Zipster

Explorer
I have not ran this in 5th edition.

But I have a good grasp on the system. If I recall, this starts the PC's at 3rd level, and theyve had one combat before this, possibly a second one.

You can absolutely add magma mephits to the encounter. For a first session, this will seem like a "boss" encounter, since after this the players will level and go on a big mission. The Kings life is in danger.

You could add, honestly, a Fire elemental (cr5) and the thing will probably get stomped.l by your players due to action economy. A fire elemental and 2-4 mephits will turn the fight into a deadly encounter but still doable with focus and teamwork. Without knowing party composition and if there is any optimization happening it's hard to say more. But you can absolutely toss a fire elemental in by itself and the party will win.

Advertisement