[Spoilers] Tron Legacy Review

Probably not try a head-on assault, for starters. Maybe something with computers. We tend to lean on them funny machines quite a bit these days.

Which would be a perfectly logical thing for him to do. In fact, I even said as much in the post you partially quoted. Of course, the movie never hints or even implies that; instead it has him line up his soldiers in ranks, in front of a whole mess of vehicles and an image of the globe. Just like, you know, the military leader/dictator of an army.

I'm not prepared to let the movie off the hook for flaws just because the audience can think of ways around them that the movie itself doesn't support. I enjoyed most of it, but that doesn't change my viewpoint on the issues I raised.

Rykion

Explorer
I enjoyed the movie, but pretty much agree with Mouseferatu on all points. It would have been better to see Tron really go down fighting in a flashback, rather than have the Rinzler character with no real pay-off scene.

I guess they could still do a sequel featuring Tron, but that seems highly unlikely.

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
Which would be a perfectly logical thing for him to do. In fact, I even said as much in the post you partially quoted. Of course, the movie never hints or even implies that; instead it has him line up his soldiers in ranks, in front of a whole mess of vehicles and an image of the globe. Just like, you know, the military leader/dictator of an army.
And there's where I disagree. Considering the entire film takes place inside the digital realm I didn't think they're would be any other way than through computers that CLU would influence the real world.

I never thought for one second that his "army" would pop up on the streets and start wrecking havoc. CLU is a program and every thing that wasn't Flynn, Same or Quorra (an ISO) was the same thing. Didn't need to be implied. It was flat out stated. Multiple times.

That's not to be confused with CLU being able to take physical form. That part actually didn't matter in the whole scheme. The danger was that CLU would "solve" the world's problems the same way he dealt with the grid.

I'm not prepared to let the movie off the hook for flaws just because the audience can think of ways around them that the movie itself doesn't support. I enjoyed most of it, but that doesn't change my viewpoint on the issues I raised.
Was never on the hook for me.

That said, I would have absolutely liked to see more of the Tron character but the movie was never about him, it was about father and son (plus other stuff), so the time and attention paid to him was fine in the end.

Rykion

Explorer
I can see it now. Clu is free and he's ready to take down the real world. If only he can figure out where his DOS prompt is, and find a working computer with a 5 1/4" disk drive. Otherwise those 150 floppy disks holding his new master program won't do him much good.

Kidding aside, Quorra was a program. ISOs were programs that spontaneously appeared within the grid. If she could become real, so could the other programs. There was no mention of Clu planning to infect other computers in the movie. The portal let you into the real world, it wasn't a connection for malicious code to reach other computers.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I was calling Rinzler Boba Fett every time I made a snarky aside to my friend. And I am surprised they didn't show his face at the end. It'd've been easy as pie to have his helmet cracked by a stray shot and fall off or something. Maybe Bruce Boxleitner's face doesn't wear well under CG?

Wasn't *bad*, and quite purty, but yeah, not a great film by any stretch of the imagination.

Brad

John Crichton

First Post
Kidding aside, Quorra was a program. ISOs were programs that spontaneously appeared within the grid. If she could become real, so could the other programs. There was no mention of Clu planning to infect other computers in the movie. The portal let you into the real world, it wasn't a connection for malicious code to reach other computers.
ISOs were no more programs than Sam or Kevin Flynn. They were "something else".

As for what the portal actually did for programs, it doesn't actually matter. The point was that CLU was a real threat if he was given access to the real world. Lotsa metaphor going on in this flick.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
While watching Tron 2 I was wondering how did Symbian get so good? Also, if CLU got into the Real world with his army, who would win in a fight, CLU, Apple, Google, or MicroSoft or Nokia*?

Then again, it really disappointed me that Sam was such a Script Kiddie. You would think that being the son of Flynn would have made him into some ultra hacker who could have Hacked CLU and ended the plot after 10 minutes. But no, he had to break into Encom using an app! An app!?! Seriously.. how much of a threat (or how secure) is the Encom OS if it can be taken out by $0.99 Symbian app?

* Because of Symbian's pwnage of Encom.

Last edited:

DumbPaladin

First Post
Based on the terrible reviews on EN World and with my personal friends, I arranged to watch Tron for free.

Everything people said in their earlier reviews was absolutely spot-on: nonsensical villain motivations; joyless and wooden lead outshone by all other actors on screen; pacing was off; not enough lightcycles & the like.

I still enjoyed it, it was a 6.5 out of 10, maybe less as I keep thinking about it, but all in all I'm glad I didn't pay cash. Thanks, reviewers!

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

The shame of it is that you can see the seeds of a... well, not a great movie, maybe not even a good movie, but at least a better movie... you can see those seeds trying to sprout.

The bit about the Iso programs spontaneously generating -- heck, you could do a whole movie about that.

The father/son stuff -- a cliche, but a good one.

CLU as a sympathetic villain -- so much more could've been done to make him actually memorable and really hateful (even as we pity him).

But... no.

Also, worst part of the movie: Zeus. Yikes. Cringe-inducingly bad.

Remove ads