Spontaneous Divine Magic?

Vanuslux

Explorer
I'm looking for alternate versions of divine spellcasting classes which have spontaneous casting rather than prepared spells, particularly druids and rangers. Are there any out there? If not, how would you suggest I balance out the change from non-spontaneous to spontaneous spellcasting?

Crothian

First Post
If you want truely spontaneous casting you have to limit number of spells known. All divine spell casters automatically know all the spells of the levels they can cast. Having them do that spontaneuosly would be way too powerful unless you weaken the class to commoner levels.

Vanuslux

Explorer
Crothian said:
If you want truely spontaneous casting you have to limit number of spells known. All divine spell casters automatically know all the spells of the levels they can cast. Having them do that spontaneuosly would be way too powerful unless you weaken the class to commoner levels.

I certainly have no objection to limiting the spells known. The question is, would that be sufficient to balance the change?

Crothian

First Post
Vanuslux said:

I certainly have no objection to limiting the spells known. The question is, would that be sufficient to balance the change?

Frankly, for a cleric I'd nix there spell casting chart and insert Sorcerers. The only problem is with the Domain spells. So, you might just give them those spells in addition to what a socerer gets. IMO clerics have more useful spells then sorcerers so it'll be a darn hard choice about what spells to pick. Especially if one of your domains is not healing.

As for the ranger, I'd modify the bard charts. Use the Ranger spell chart as a guideling and match up the new spell levels and see what it looks like.

Vanuslux

Explorer
Some good suggestions all around. Thanks everyone. I haven't decided what to do, exactly, but this gives me some food for thought.

ruleslawyer

two more suggestions:

1) Check out the Athasian druid at www.athas.org for an example of a druid with spontaneous casting and a limited number of spells known (like a sorc).

2) The geomancer PrC (from MotW) has limited spontaneous casting and is druid-oriented; possibly right up your alley?

Remove ads