Spotlight Interview: John Rogers on the Manual of the Planes

jonrog1

First Post
It in no way resembles Rockford Files any more than it resembles Mattlock.

"Never Send a Man to Do a Boy King's Job". The classic long con episode on television.

@Fey:

That is where the old tricksters comes from that the beings have lived so long to get bored, so they entertain themselves with other beings that may cross onto their lands. That was the sense I got from the Pan's Labyrinth reference...

Yeah, not bored in the Feywild. Very, very busy. The Court of the Stars isn't hedonist playground, it's more war council/elizabethan court/venetian power struggle.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Yeah, not bored in the Feywild. Very, very busy. The Court of the Stars isn't hedonist playground, it's more war council/elizabethan court/venetian power struggle.

So the Queen of Hearts from Through the Looking Glass, but 1000000% smarter. That is the thing the PCs need to watch out for. Caught up in their own affairs to not care about trivial beings that wander in unless they get in the courts way?

Rechan

Adventurer
So Fey = tricksters/pranksters?
Mm, not quite. As far as Jim Butcher is concerned:

I can't actually pull any ideas from the Seelie side, but here's a notion for the Unseelie. There's a very minor scene in "Summer Knight" where they are in a fey ballroom, where all the faeries are dancing, and there are human musicians playing. As the song winds down, a trumpet player steps out, and starts to play, and blow, and blow... his face turns purple, as he continues his solo, then his face turns black, and he falls over, dead. The Lady of Winter, a very Powerful fey, looks down at the musician the way a child might at a broken toy, smiles and says, "He wanted to give the performance of a lifetime. He gave his."

Faeries can't lie, but getting the truth out of them is like pulling teeth. Your teeth. With a jackhammer. Dealing with the fey is like dealing with the devil. Half-truths, twisting your words against you, lies of omission, and all backing you into a perverbial corner so there's no way out but their way, and that undoubtably means your demise.

Here's another thing:

Let's say Jane the fey is on Edward's side. Bruce is Jane's lieutenant, but Bruce betrays Jane in the middle of a battle. Edward and his Friend kill Bruce in the course of that battle. Jane may then turn around and try to kill Edward's friend because Edward killed Bruce, who was on Jane's side. Even though Bruce was betraying Jane at the time, Bruce was still under Jane's command (and thus, under her protection). Therefore, Edward took a resource from Jane, and Jane is responsible for providing protection to Bruce in principle, making Jane feel justified in getting revenge on Edward.

You ask yourself, "Why would Jane the Fey do something so petty and unnecessary?" Because Jane might be doing it out of spite, be in a bad mood, have her alliances shift, fickle, she finds it fun, to show she repays all debts and slights, it could just be in her nature, like the Scorpion and the Frog, or all the above.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Here's the question though: what are they doing? Who are their enemies, so to speak? I mean, if they're spending all this time planning/waging conflict, who are they... conflicting with? Eachother? Some entity out there?

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Mm, not quite. As far as Jim Butcher is concerned:

Sadly, I do not know nor care who Jim Butcher is or what his opinion on the matter is. Especially considering what I can tell he is some sci-fi author and Jedi don't belong in D&D. :erm:

I saw his name mentioned in the interview and the mention of sci-fi and just skipped it hoping it to be a bad joke.

When I want sci-fi I will pull out Wells, Verne, or Asimov, but neither belong in D&D.

Now wonder the genres of things are so mixed up, everyone trying to make some dumb super-genre that has everything in it a-la-Wizards.

Anyway, my Fey will be what I decide them to be and act how I decide them to act!

[/EOL]
What Channel/Time is Leverage on?

TNT, Last night, 10pm, 1am

Rechan

Adventurer
Especially considering what I can tell he is some sci-fi author and Jedi don't belong in D&D. :erm:
Uh, what? :erm:

He doesn't do sci-fi.

He writes Horse and Sword fantasy, and a book series about a modern-day Wizard written like a noir Private Eye novel (where the aforementioned fey stuff come up, along with demon stuff, necromancer stuff, vampire stuff, etc).

The latter had a short-lived TV show on the Sci-Fi channel, but it's about as science fiction as Harry Potter.

Last edited:

I'm certainly looking forward to the chapter on Feywild, it sounds quite interesting. I felt there was always room for the Court of Stars to expand ever since it's introduction to D&D back in 2e when the Eladrin first appeared.

I obviously assume that now they're not all playing nice together under Queen Morwel, and that they're closer to aristocratic houses plotting against each other. I just hope that it's nothing as simple as Seelie=Good and Unseelie=Evil.

Obryn

Hero
Sadly, I do not know nor care who Jim Butcher is or what his opinion on the matter is. Especially considering what I can tell he is some sci-fi author and Jedi don't belong in D&D. :erm:
Please tell me you're joking.

Honestly, the Dresden Files are one of the better modern fantasy series out there. I haven't read his traditional fantasy series yet, but it's also not sci-fi.

Also, regardless of whether or not Butcher writes sci-fi (he doesn't), the mix of sci-fi and fantasy has been a D&D tradition since the earliest days. I mean, come on - Barrier Peaks? History of the Wilderlands? Jack Vance novels?

-O

Remove ads