• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft or D20 Modern or maybe something else I don't know about yet

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
dpmcalister said:
Perhaps if you care to read some of the above replies you'd get a better understanding of why people find your comments akin to trolling. You start name-calling and then, when others take offence, you claim innocence and cry "victim"!

We have a little saying over here... if you can't take it, don't dish it out

I did read all of the responses. I never cried victim. I said spycraft players are rabid. Rabid, meaning going to extreme lengths in expressing or pursuing a feeling, interest, or opinion. And, in response, I got people going to extreme lengths in expressing and pursuing their opinion.

I do aplogize for generalizing so broadly about spycraft players. Obviously, it isn't all of them, or even a majority. But it's a vocal minority, and I think we just heard from a few of them.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
rook111 said:
This is what I have been Looking for, I only wish they would have shown some of the vehicle stuff in the demo. I assume that you have this book How do the Surface ship and aircraft rules look?

Disclaimer: I have never served in the military, and any limited knowledge I have on the subject comes from the movies.

There's a substantial number of new vehicles in the Equipment chapter based on the d20 Modern vehicle rules:

Fixed Wing:
A-10 Thunderbolt
AC-130H
Air Force One
B-2
B-52
C-2A
C-130H
F-14 Tomcat
F-15 Eagle
F-16 Fighting Falcon
F-18 Superhornet
SR-71

Helicopters:
AH-1F Cobra Attack
AH-6 Little Bird
AH-64A Apache Attack
AH64-D Apache Longbow
CH-47 Chinook
MH-6 Little Bird
OH-58D
SH-60 Seahawk
V-22A Osprey

Submersible Ships:
Los Angeles Class Attack Sub
Seawolf

Surface Ships:
41 ft. Utility Boat
Cyclone Class Patrol Costal Boats
Landing Craft, Air Cushioned
Landing Craft Mechanized 6 and 8
Mark 5 Special Operations Craft
Stalwart

Tracked Vehicles:
Linebacker (M-6 Bradley)
M-2/A3 Bradley Armored Fighting Vehicle
M-9 Armored Combat Earthmover
M-60A1 Armored Vehicle-Launched Bridge
Multiple Launch Rocket System
Paladin M-109A6 Howitzer

Wheeled Vehicles:
Avenger
M-998A2 Modified Humvee

There are also new vehicle weapons in this chapter as well.

The Combat chapter has sections on aerial combat and submarine warfare that expand on the existing d20 Modern vehicle rules. There is a section on aerial stunts based on the Pilot skill, and modified rules for attacking aircraft from the ground. The submarine section gives some guidelines for fighting submarines from aircraft (concealment rules), the surface (torpedoes, depth charges), and from another submarine (Drive vs. Hide).

Again, I'm not a military expert, but some of the guys on the d20 Modern board here might be able to tell you more. Personally, I think this book is a good treatment for people like me who want to add some military elements to a game but might only know about that sort of thing from a few movies or books, but I can also see it appealing to a military enthusiast.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. :)

rook111

First Post
jaerdaph said:
Disclaimer: I have never served in the military, and any limited knowledge I have on the subject comes from the movies.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. :)

Thanks your post was very helpful. I'm going to see if I can find this one at my FLGS.

Morgenstern

First Post
I'm gonna stun the world here by agreeing that Blood and Guts is good stuff, and if you are running a heavily American-centric group of players, I'd definitely pick it up. Charles Rice is a good researcher and I personally like how he brings stuff from real world to game mechanics - just one of serval reasons we're looking to hire him on for Spycraft :).

I don't think a print copy exists yet. It's a pretty recent .pdf product, but he is here on these boards (under Vigilance, more often seen in the d20 forum) if you want to ask him about it.

While I'll cheerfully put forward Spycraft's vehicle rules as the stuff you want (read those reviews yet :p?), Soldier/Wheelman uses about 200+ vehicle types to describe stuff, with various options availible to tune them to more exactly match real world specific models. It made it a lot easier to set the stage for adapting vehicles from other sources (I've got stats for the Megafortress+, Cheatah, and Dreamstar on my hard drive ~ I'm a serious Dale Brown fan :D). We did stat some specific vehicles (A-10, Chinese missile cruiser, etc.) as examples, but Blood & Guts will provide a lot more information on the specific vehicles listed in the post above. The mechanics aren't hugely different. I'll ask Charles to come by this thread and promote his book (and maybe hash out some conversions :)), that'll be fun!

Vigilance

Explorer
The way you make it sound Scott, working on spycraft makes me feel like a one-handed Luke on that bridge in Empire :)

There is a print edition of BNG now, which your FLGS should at least be able to order if they dont have it.

Personally, for a clancy-esque game, I would use d20 Modern, Blood and Guts, and the Soldier/Wheelman guide in equal measure. Given that I *RUN* this exact type of game on a bi-weekly basis, I speak with a fair amount of experience. :)

Your mileage may vary, I am not a lawyer, I am not rabid, and all other usual disclaimers apply.

Chuck

Morgenstern

First Post
Vigilance said:
The way you make it sound Scott, working on Spycraft makes me feel like a one-handed Luke on that bridge in Empire :)

I'm torn between replying ~
"The Force is strong in this one . . ."

and

"Luke... Who's your daddy ?"

:p Sorry. Watched a little animated Star Wars rap clip this week and I've had it stuck in my head :D.

Vigilance said:
There is a print edition of BNG now, which your FLGS should at least be able to order if they dont have it.

Cool. I did not know that. My bad. [in joke] Looks like I'm gonna have to 'drop and give ya d20!' [/in joke]

Last edited:

rook111

First Post
Flames Aside, all of you guys have been very helpful. i now know what extra books I need to look at and where I need to concentrate my reading over the next several days. One thing I've learned is that both rule sets have very loyal followings and a good degree of crossover among that following. To me this is a good thing it means that which ever set i go with as the base I will probobly be able to pull stuff from the other in a mix and match kinda thing.

I truly appriciated the input from all of you.

David Broussard
rook111@gt.rr.com

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Glad to have been of help. :)

I have the hardcopy version of Blood and Guts, so yes, it is in stores now. Chuck, if you're still around, will the Blood and Guts: War on Terror sequel see print as well? I really liked the SWAT team prestige class from the demo.

Spycraft: There's no denying that this is one of the greatest RPGs to come out of the d20 revolution. And while I never got into it as much as I would have liked because of limited free time, I have to say I'm now looking forward to the 1960s Sourcebook and possibly renewed interest. Sean Connery is so THE James Bond! Plus I've always wanted to wear a wetsuit with a decoy duck on top of my head... :)

And never underestimate the power of d20 mix-n-match!

Vigilance

Explorer
I am not 100% sure War on Terror will get the full print treatment. However, we always do a POD (Print on Demand) run, so you will be able to get a HC direct from us.

I liked the SWAT class also, and one reason we picked it for the demo was the appeal I thought it would have to people regardless of whether they were running a military campaign or not.

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Ok- according to my publisher, WOT will see a limited print run (smaller than BNG or BNF) for retail stores, and then afterwards you can order it from us :)

Chuck

Remove ads