SquareForge - Modular Dungeons (Tile System for RPG Mapping)

SquareForge

First Post
If you are an RPG gamer and use figures on a map with square tiles, then this may interest you.

I will be launching a Kickstarter Campaign for a new Modular Dungeon Tile Mapping System for RPG Gamers. The system will allow you to create maps for your RPG sessions on the fly. The Kickstarter is NOT live just yet. I kind of wanted to reach out and get to know some of the people who might be interested in seeing this project through so that I could gather some feedback, and properly prepare for this campaign.

Although, I'm too new on this Forum to share any links, I have posted a few pics, and a simple video demonstration on my website. Please let me know if you'd like to check it out. If you can't already tell, I'm new to Forums, so please bare with me.. With a little bit of experience, I'm sure I'll get the hang of this social stuff ;)

About The Tiles
The SquareForge tiles are comprised of 16 individual patterns. We offer decks of 60 dual-sided 3.5 inch square cards with different terrains pictured on either side. For example; Dungeon tiles on one side, with Forest tiles on the reverse, or Caverns on one side with Water on the reverse. We will launch with these two decks, but plan to introduce many other terrain decks too, including;

• Desert/Marsh
  • Hell/Ice-Snow
  • Mountains/Jungles
  • Tombs/Graveyards
  • Castles/Ruins
  • Cities/Sewers
  • Villages/Forts
  • Roads/Trails
  • Plus: Urban, Space, Technology, Gothic, Zombie Apocalypse & more!

The basic concept is to keep the map tiles relatively simple, and square-ish. The 16 patterns allow a lot of flexibility for constructing rooms, hallways, open forest and so on. Plus, the decks are designed to be compatible with one another. Dungeon Masters will appreciate the freedom and flexibility of working with this system.

SquareForge

First Post
IMG_1595.jpgIMG_1605.jpgIMG_1610.jpg
Here's a couple of snapshots of the game tiles.

SquareForge

First Post
What is the tile quality? Laminated cardstock? Or thicker?

It looks a bit thicker, about a mm?

All cards are die-cut, have rounded corners, and are printed in full color on both sides. All cards are printed on 3.5 x 3.5 inch heavy clay coated 165lb card stock which gives them a nice texture and good heft.

am181d

Adventurer
I'm having trouble telling from these images, but these look like they have only limited modularity to me. (Certain tiles clearly assume that they are laid next to certain other tiles.) The quality seems pretty nice overall, but I'm not sure if they're flexible enough to be an improvement over existing solutions. (Dungeon Tiles, Flipmats, Battlemat, etc.)

SquareForge

First Post
I'm having trouble telling from these images, but these look like they have only limited modularity to me. (Certain tiles clearly assume that they are laid next to certain other tiles.) The quality seems pretty nice overall, but I'm not sure if they're flexible enough to be an improvement over existing solutions. (Dungeon Tiles, Flipmats, Battlemat, etc.)

I uploaded 2 more photos. These images show the 16 different tile types. I have used other tile sets, including Dungeon Tiles, and thought that those systems were extremely limited by comparison. (Although they do add more detail, there are only a few configurations)

The idea for SquareForge came to me when I began developing RPGs for the computer. I discovered that most isometric tile system video games, use 16 various tile types for all of their maps. I've basically done the same thing here, except instead of a computer putting all of the pieces together, the Dungeon Master gets to decide. We beta tested these tiles for 2 years before I finally decided to offer them to the general public.

But, yeah, you're absolutely right. Some tiles won't fit next to other tiles. However, there's a lot of creativity that can be incorporated too. There isn't a single tile in my 60 card deck that I wouldn't consider using. You might not use them all for every map, but you'll certainly benefit from having them.

IMG_1616.jpgIMG_1624.jpg

darjr

I crit!
I like it. My concern is with tile movement. What if someone bumps the table?

I'm having visions of only laying out the tiles that the characters can see, a much better way to do fog of war or torchlight reveals.

SquareForge

First Post
I like it. My concern is with tile movement. What if someone bumps the table?

I'm having visions of only laying out the tiles that the characters can see, a much better way to do fog of war or torchlight reveals.

I should have mentioned that this system is excellent for 'fogs of war'.. :) Good Call!

And although my photographs don't show it, I always place my tiles over one of those rubberized drawer-liner (or toolbox-liner mats) The rubbery surface material helps the tiles adhere, without causing them to get gummy in the process. Without the rubberized mat, these cards do tend to slip and slide around on the table. But this is true with just about all tile systems, regardless of the thickness.. right? :p

Thanks for posting 'my' website link, by the way! :)

SquareForge

First Post
I took a couple of photos of the tiles using a rubberized 'toolbox liner' beneath the cards. As you can see, the bright blue material is rather ugly, but you can purchase this stuff in any color that you prefer, and it's pretty cheap stuff too! Best of all, it solves the problem of slippery cards on a smooth tabletop.

IMG_1676.jpgIMG_1810.jpgIMG_1812.jpgIMG_1813.jpg

Remove ads