SquareForge - Modular Dungeons (Tile System for RPG Mapping)

SquareForge

First Post
Dude this is awesome! Having loved the tiles in the WotC board games I was waiting for them to release more, a no brainer. But they didn't and you have so when can I send you my money!?

Man, I love feedback like this! :) I'm almost ready to sell these decks. I'm proofing the Cavern/Water deck early this week. (I just want to inspect the finished cards, and make sure they meet my quality control) If they pass my personal inspection, then I gotta figure out how I'm going to package them. I may need to design a box, or something. Finally, they'll be made available on the website, although the price will be about $25/deck. (ouch! I'm sorry, but they are so expensive to print-on-demand like this) but at least they'll be available.

The whole purpose of the Kickstarter Campaign is to help reduce the price. If I can purchase about 500 decks in advance, then I will pay a lot less to have them made. the end result is a much cheaper price for you guys. So that means, if you really wanna help drive the price down, then you should order you cards through the Kickstarter campaign. But then you gotta wait till April, cuz I am still working on the video, and may even fine-tune the cards if they don't pass my personal inspection.

Anyway, thanks for your vote of confidence. I'll try and keep things moving, so we can get these things in your hands as soon as possible! :)

SquareForge

First Post
Well, ten foot wide corridors just need tiles that have three in a row on one edge the corridor. Put them side by side and you are set.

Looking at the sets above, it seems a bit weak on ten foot wide corridor possibilities, so might be something to change a bit.

I do have to say the pictures are definitely winning me over. I have tons of flip maps and dungeon tiles and dungeon command tiles and WOTC boardgame tiles, but these could be another option for me to pursue.

hey Dice4Hire, your point about the 10' wide hallways has been bugging me since you posted ;) I just dug out a deck of my regular Dungeon cards and tried making a basic 10 foot corridor, and although the cards weren't designed to do so, I actually succeeded. (sort of) I tested to see if I could go around corners, and it's just another way of thinking about the same set of tiles. The only drawback is the edges are flat, and you lose the dropshadow effect on the tiles when you use the cards like this.

I got to thinking more about this problem, and think I may have stumbled upon something rather interesting. The 16 tile types work great for single-square width hallways, but to enhance the deck for double-square width halls, and an even wider array of options, I'd have to design the same 'floor/wall' texture with 16 mirror patterns. For example, take a basic single wall tile (wall covers 3 squares along the edge of the tile) The mirror of that would be a tile with 3 squares of floor along the edge, and the remaining 6 squares filled in with wall texture. By having access to the mirror 'floor/wall' patterns, one could seamlessly create 10' corridors, and a whole lot more.

Note: The image below is the result of using my existing 60-card Dungeon deck to try and emulate 10' corridors. I also threw in some 20' corridors, and the smaller 5' halls to see how they all mingled together. Not too bad, although I'm not really using the tiles as intended. You would notice some of the problems if I tried to do this with a tile set with jagged edges, such as the Water, or Cavern set.

I'll see what I can do to improve upon this, and post new pics soon. Thanks for the tips!

IMG_1844.jpg

Dice4Hire

First Post
The image posted above looks pretty good. I'll be interested to see what your rethinking comes up with.

BTW, a friend of mine is interested, so you have two backers when you get the kickstarter live.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
One thing I'd add to this discussion- though it looks like you're probably already on the same page- is not to add in arbitrary features like dead bodies, magic circles, etc. Those REALLY limit how useful a lot of Dungeon Tiles are.

Amen to that. I prefer tiles like these to be as "generic" as possible. Two-tone is best.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
hey Dice4Hire, your point about the 10' wide hallways has been bugging me since you posted ;)

I got to thinking more about this problem, and think I may have stumbled upon something rather interesting. The 16 tile types work great for single-square width hallways, but to enhance the deck for double-square width halls, and an even wider array of options, I'd have to design the same 'floor/wall' texture with 16 mirror patterns. For example, take a basic single wall tile (wall covers 3 squares along the edge of the tile) The mirror of that would be a tile with 3 squares of floor along the edge, and the remaining 6 squares filled in with wall texture. By having access to the mirror 'floor/wall' patterns, one could seamlessly create 10' corridors, and a whole lot more.

I'll see what I can do to improve upon this, and post new pics soon. Thanks for the tips!
Your eagerness to respond to criticism/suggestions (as well as your apparent intelligence and good judgment) make me feel good about supporting you. Count me as a backer too! :D

SquareForge

First Post
I'm in the process of developing and testing an Expansion Set which will address the issues pointed out with 10' corridors, as well as a few other glitches I recently discovered. I should be busy for the next few days as I figure everything out, and nail down this thing once and for all ;)

Thanks for all of the tips and advice.. You guys have all been great! These modifications may slow down the Kickstarter project, but it'll be a much better product by the time it's ready to launch.

Remove ads