• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Squire, taking what class?

EverSoar

First Post
I'm gonna play a knightly fighter.
He is blind however.

So, i'm thinking about getting a squire. Someone who can give my character a hand, and i can teach him a thing or two.

But i'm lvl 4, and i want to have had him for quite a while?

What class would you suggest?

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Depends...

...as an NPC, it should be either an aristocrat or an expert, as the son of a noble or a wealthy merchant who starts training as a knight. After that, he should take levels as fighter, as that's the primary thing he will learn, with a level or two as bard, maybe, to account for the courtly skills...

EverSoar

First Post
Yeah,

but surely he could be ordered to follow? But would that be under cohort rules, because he would be under my command, thus submissive, like a cohort.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Say what?

Vaxalon said:
Within the rules, there really isn't any way to do it until you can take Leadership at 6th level.

Not to sound trolling, but it's easy?
The Knight and the father of his squire make a contract (because that's what was done, usually) that includes the duties of the squire and those of the knight, and after that the knight has a squire. You don't need a feat or anything for that...it's an exchange of services and money, and it requires an NPC character to be built over time, aka the squire. *shrugs*

Squire James

First Post
As a DM, I would let the 4th level player gain the services of a squire as a paid hireling (which has no Leadership requirement). The "paid" part can be disguised as "upkeep" if you wish, but the important thing is that the squire is initially in it mostly for the money or glory.

Over time, the squire develop a true loyalty and become a follower or cohort. This should coincide with the PC picking Leadership as a feat. If the PC shows no interest in taking Leadership ("Gee, I already have a boon companion for free, so why should I waste a feat?"), then the squire never really develops loyalty and may ultimately betray the PC (or be reverse-engineered so that he already did so)! If the PC goes hot about this, shrug and say, "You had plenty of chances to take Leadership and cement his loyalty, but you got greedy and chose another feat..."

As for class, I'd say Fighter. NPC classes are for non-adventurers, and this squire is going adventuring. If he's a "Squire James" sort of character, then start him out as a Rogue that plans on advancing as Fighter (perhaps not following the plan immediately...).

Last edited:

apsuman

First Post
Well, you can always ask for an exception to the rule(s).

A couple of thoughts...

except the player from the Leadership feat, and use a feat slot to gain a squire.

make the squire someone the player rescued.

make the squire a polymorphed monkey/dog/pseudodragon/cat/imp/wolf/etc. that acts much like familiar.

As for the squire itself...

make the squire mute.

make the squire 14 years old.

make the squire a sorcerer (with no familiar)

make the squire level 2.

g!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads