SR for creatures (urgent)...

Mr. Draco

First Post
Does anybody know how the SR for creatures is calculated? Celestials especially? And how is it affected by increasing HD?

I tried the normal 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha mod, and it doesn't even begin to come close.

Any help would be really great as I need an answer in the next 12 hours.

hong

WotC's bitch
The SR for a creature is whatever it says in the MM. AFAIK there aren't any allowances for increasing SR solely because a creature has more HD.

Think of AC. It doesn't increase just because you have more HD (although in _practice_ you may gain a better AC through better equipment, improved stats, etc). SR is the same.

I think hong is right, there is no specific rule for it. But if you really wish to increase SR, I think +1 per extra hit die should be in line. (compare it to the Spell Resistiance spell...)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Yeah- Hong is right. SR doesnt increase with additional HD. The only monsters that follow a pattern (and actually increase SR) are dragons. (And the formula for increasing a dragon's SR is not based on HD so much as it is on age category.)

Joust

First Post
This might be the exception more than the rule, but IIRC from the MM, drow elves have SR 11 + class level, so they do gain more resistance as they advance.

Hope this helps.

Gromm

First Post
Theres no real pattern, its a creature ability not unlike a breath weapon. It varies wildly from creature to creature.
Some creatures a high SR while others have very little. HD is never really a factor.
Ropers (CR10) have SR 28 and 10HD.
Succubi (CR9) have SR 12 with 6HD.
Osyluth (CR6) have SR 22 with 5 HD.

As far as extra HD, you don't really need to increase the SR, odds are its high enough already. Even for celestial creatures the SR maxes out at SR 25. At that level even a 20th level caster (theoretically) has a 20% of failure.

Remove ads