SRD 3.5 Competition

Cergorach

The Laughing One
@Marius Delphus:
Some good afvice there Marius!

1.) Column balancing, good that you mentioned it! Will do.
2.) Missing what color bar? Please explain, i'm not fully understanding the problem.
3.) Yeah, but what eyes! ;-) It's from the elf that Vshane drew.
4.) i'll take a look at that. Maybe a black outline...
5.) The page number is exactly 1/4 from the page bottom, can't help you with the page header though. Some will want it this way, others the other way. This looks good on a page, so why bother with 'perfection' ;-)
6.) I understand, but for now they'll be left aligned for obvious reasons. Making a version where they're right aligned shouldn't be a big problem for if you really want it that way...
7.) *chuckles* i might just have to do that, i'm thinking that every OGL/D20 project that i'm going to do will have it's Legal info on page 666 from now on ;-)

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
@Cergorach:

Thanks!

1.) Cool.

2.) The bottom edge of the color bars (all tables) appears to be exactly on the baseline of the table text; this leaves the descenders uncolored (and colors the descenders of the previous, white lines). If the colored bars were moved down a notch (just a nudge ought to do it), that'd get them where they "ought" to be... though if you have it set up as a text attribute, you might have to get at it a different way.

2a.) Just noticed the Mass Suggestion entry on the Bard table is in Celestia, not ScalaSans. :)

3.) Thus the distraction. :D

4.) It's still *readable* I suppose, you'll ultimately have to decide what you *like* better! (Aren't widely-viewed "personal" projects fun?)

5.) LOL, I *like* it fine myself! And with Hellhound to my rescue it's not even an issue anymore. :)

6. ) Just thought I'd mention it. Personally, I wish I had the *time* to do it "my way" but I certainly can't make the contest deadline, and without impetus all that happens is the back burner gets a little more crowded.... :rolleyes:

7.) As long as Rich and Dave get their last names capitalized, I'm sure they'd be as amused as I was. :)

@dagger:

No, sorry. I don't get to Texas much (read: at all).

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Woohoo! Cergorach has taken up the gauntlet and posted a whole *chapter* while I was (re-)issuing my challenge. Nice work, C!

- Note how his small (but very legible, IMHO) font allows him to put all entries in the Monk class table on a single line. That's better than in the PHB, which needs a double line for 3 or 4 of the entries (making the table look quite ugly), and a *lot* better than in the RTF version of the SRD.

- On my screen, with the size windows I use for Acrobat Reader, Fit Width fits almost exactly an entire page on the screen, minus the top graphics. I like it!

- There's a bunch of wasted whitespace. This might be a good place to consider adding some extra content. The list of SRD Fighter feats would fit perfectly in that empty space on page 11.

- I'm not too fond of the horizontal line underneath the whole-page "sidebar" pages (animal companions and familiars), because you get another horizontal line right underneath it. Doesn't look very good, especially on page 10.

- I noticed you started the Ranger midway down the page, even though all the other classes start at the top of column 1 or 2. Doesn't look too bad actually, but it is somewhat inconsistent (yeah I know, the text above the Ranger is a "sidebar", but still...) Have you tried allowing all the classes to start midway through a page? For example, you could end the last bit of the Monk section at the top of columns 1 and 2 on page 13, draw a divider, and start the Paladin underneath. Doing that throughout could get rid of a lot of whitespace...

- Ah, just noticed Sorceror start in the middle of column 2 as well, another inconsistency. I do think it would look better overall if you'd draw a divider across both columns

donm61873

First Post
I've got a number of browsers and systems here, and some odd pdf readers. I'd love to volunteer to assist in "looking" at SRDs to help insure usability.

DonM.

Drawmack

First Post
donm61873 said:
I've got a number of browsers and systems here, and some odd pdf readers. I'd love to volunteer to assist in "looking" at SRDs to help insure usability.

DonM.

As long as you're willing not to share it until I put it online I can put you on my testers list who will be receiving coppies from me along the way.

To be a tester you cannot be participating in the competition but you may be a judge. Anyone willing to test my stuff out just email me at tomender@ptd.net.

donm61873

First Post
I'm responding to you personally, but if I test anyone's stuff, I agree to an effective "NDA" with each entry (including between entries) and I don't think I should judge, as I may develop biases between who comes to me for testing and what not. I'd like to judge, but I think at this point I'm more effective providing QA to the entrants :)

And in real life, I've done SCM for 13 years, so this is my life...

Hey - I finally got my job and gaming to work together!!!
This is the happiest day of my career :p

(The happiest day of my life was MARRYING a gamer...)

DonM.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Drawmack said:
To be a tester you cannot be participating in the competition but you may be a judge. Anyone willing to test my stuff out just email me at tomender@ptd.net.

I tried emailing you using that address and it bounced.

I am willing to play the part of 'celebrity' judge, as well as throw in a few E.N.Publishing e-products to the winner and runner up.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Hellhound,

That's great that you can judge and offer prizes. I'm getting all that organized. If you could email me at srd@dimwhit.com and tell me what specifically you would like to offer as prizes, I'll add that to the list. And if you want to judge, mention that too. I'll be gone all night, but I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks!

Remove ads