SRD 3.5 Competition

Swiftbrook

First Post
Everyone who has entered -- Things are looking GREAT!

Question/Comment:

Q: What program(s) are you using to create your document before conversion to PDF?

C: I hope the creators will make available their master document (prior to PDF creation) for download also. I would like to be able to add my house rules in to the SRD before I print it. With the software I have it can be a chore to edit a PDF file.

-Swiftbrook

Estlor

Explorer
Heh... I still haven't moved beyond Word XP on mine :D

I'm half tempted to jump straight to PDF from Word just to see how well I can compete with people that use expensive, complex programs while I'm using a word processor - and one that sucks bricks at page design at that!

I'd post a sample, but it's pretty plain right now. When I start tweaking it I'll consider posting one.

Conaill

First Post
Re: Special Abilities

woodelf said:
Has anybody taken the time yet to compare the Special Abilities content in the Special Abilities and Conditions document with that in the Types, Subtypes, and Abilites document? Is it simply duplicated content?
They're different. The latter one is more extensive and verbose, the first one has a table summarizing some of the properties.

The more important problem... they're not 100% consistent! For example, the table in Special Abilities and Conditions lists Supernatural as being affected by Dispel Magic, whereas the Types, Subtypes, and Abilities vesrion states "Supernatural abilities cannot be dispelled". :rolleyes:

Update: the *text* in the Special Abilities and Conditions does say "A supernatural ability’s effect cannot be dispelled" as well, so it seems like it's the table that's wrong...

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Swiftbrook said:
Q: What program(s) are you using to create your document before conversion to PDF?

I'm doing all my preformatting in Word, as I'm more comfortable with it than the text functions in InDesign (which I'm using pretty much just for layout). I'm also using Illustrator to build parts of my page backgrounds as well.

Estlor said:

Technically, you don't really need too either. The minimal version I make, if I have time, will probably go straight from Word to PDF.

Drawmack

First Post
Swiftbrook said:
Everyone who has entered -- Things are looking GREAT!

Question/Comment:

C: I hope the creators will make available their master document (prior to PDF creation) for download also. I would like to be able to add my house rules in to the SRD before I print it. With the software I have it can be a chore to edit a PDF file.

-Swiftbrook

If you know javascript and html it will be very easy to add a house rules section into my SRD.

woodelf

First Post
kreynolds said:
We're just gonna have to disagree here then. While I'm not fond of the redish texture of the borders, I think it looks great with the books as a whole.

Obviously, I can't follow that suggestion...because I _like_ the look of the core books. :cool:

That's cool--we can just agree to disagree. For the record, it's not the borders, per se, that i have a problem with in the D&D books, it's the underlined text and the poor layout (where it's sometimes hard to tell where the body text wraps and a sidebar begins) that really bug me. Oh, and i don't go for the "dungeonpunk" art style, but that's *purely* subjective, and has nothing to do with layout *or* readability.

woodelf

First Post
woodelf[/i][b] I'm saying said:
I can honestly say that I am completely incapable of following you here, no matter how hard I try.

Did you want me to try and explain, or we just gonna let this one slide?

Usurper

First Post
Estlor said:

I'm half tempted to jump straight to PDF from Word just to see how well I can compete with people that use expensive, complex programs while I'm using a word processor - and one that sucks bricks at page design at that!

I'd post a sample, but it's pretty plain right now. When I start tweaking it I'll consider posting one.

I've got Word 2000, and honestly, I don't think it's bad at page design at all. I think most people don't know about the textbox-in-the-header trick that lets you do repeating page borders and such. Once you've got that down, I don't see any reason it can't look as good as the others.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
This is a test. Twice I've tried posting to this thread, twice it wouldn't go through. And neither was in any way near as long as other posts I've made to these fora. So this test.

If it goes through I'll be replying to a post from Conaill replying to my first post offering a sample of my work tomorrow. Because I'm more to a bit too put out to do it now.

Sorry about that.

Remove ads