SRD 3.5 Competition

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know if it's too late to chime in, but I'm happy to offer free webspace to host the documents etc. Plently of bandwidth. Drop me an email if you think it'll help.

Winternight

First Post
I hope it is not to late:
but I want to throw in my critics on the published material. It's just
SRD_Layout.pdf
is AFIK from Kreynolds not sean.
Like the color, though it look to modern (as many others had said)
keep the alternating border, it looks cool, but do a lite version also for keeping the printer cost low.

SRD v.3.5 Deluxe - Demo.pdf from ?
Sorry, forgot your name.
Like the work: KISS.
Beware of the tables, when I printed them out (B&W-only) I could barly read the shaded area.

For both :
If you are doing a screen version remember that screens are wider then long.
I have seen several PDF products that take credit to that.

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
Simplify the class tables?

Looking at Cergorach's tables, I wondered: Is it legal to simplify the SRD in places where it's repetitive?

I hate seeing those huge class tables (as beautiful as they are, Cergorach), same as I hate seeing them in the PHB. There are only three kinds of BAB (good, average, poor) and two kinds of saves (good, poor). I wish that one of these reformats (cough, Cergorach's) could just have a line under Hit Die that said BAB: -whatever- and Saves: -etc-. Those lines could be a link to the generic 3.1 table (p22 in the 3.5 PHB) showing what that means.

Doing this, some tables could be reduced to one column rather than a spanning table (just guessing: barbarian, cleric, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorceror).

Yes, it's picky, but I would love to bring these references to the table, and it's all about packing the info in the most usable format.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
I'd love to contribute, but sadly that's not possible at the moment .
My PDFs would've been mainly for printing, though - and were therefore named "Handouts".

Actually, Flyspeck23, I would join in if you wanted to. I think everyone agrees Amigo is on drugs or something.

Is it legal to simplify the SRD in places where it's repetitive?

I wouldn't take my word as the final or anything, but as long as you only include information from the SRD, you can do whatever you want with it. You can leave parts out, rearrange it, change the tables, whatever. As long as there is no non-OGL stuff in there.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
I'm back, I'm rested, and hopefully this thing will get posted.

To address Conaill's concerns:

The version I'm working on now is supposed to get printed out. For reading curled up in a comfy chair under a reading lamp. If one needs a version that can be printed out a few pages at a time, one can always use somebody else's work. Don't bother me none.

But, it will remain a bit 'vanilla'. I'm not out to impress people with flash, I'm out to help inform people with a work that's a comfortable read.

Which is why I used Palatino for the body font. It's a comfortable font. Easy to read at 10 points, and it doesn't overshadow the text. You don't want people oohing and aahing over the type when they should be reading the words.:)

The headers will be changed to a different font. Verdana I think, but later I may do the headers as graphics, which will allow the use of some rather strange fonts?

Table text will be changed to Times Roman at 8 points. That way the tables can be shrunk a bit and still be legible.

My goal when all things are considered is to provide a document that can be printed out, bound into a book, and read away from the monitor. Since most folks will be picking up multiple version of an SRD PDF I figure they can always find a good screen version from somebody else. One version to impress people, one version to read onscreen, and one, mine, to read sitting in a good chair.

So if there are any publishers out there who might be interested in bringing this thing to a wider audience, get in touch with me privately and we'll work things out.

If you 'd like a fancier version, and can view Post Script files, I can send a Post Script version of the document when it's ready.

Conaill

First Post
Re: Simplify the class tables?

Clint said:
There are only three kinds of BAB (good, average, poor) and two kinds of saves (good, poor). I wish that one of these reformats (cough, Cergorach's) could just have a line under Hit Die that said BAB: -whatever- and Saves: -etc-. Those lines could be a link to the generic 3.1 table (p22 in the 3.5 PHB) showing what that means.
I for one, would *not* like this. Just because I think it's really annoying to have to leaf back and forth to look something up. Heck, there's already plenty of people complaining that the description of conditions has been taken out of the spell descriptions. So if you don't remember by heart what penalties the Entangled condition entails, you'll have to skip to the Condition Summary or the Glossary to look that up.

Sure, it makes the document *smaller* by removing what's essentially duplicated content. It also makes it much easier for the designers to maintain consistency. But it also makes it much more cumbersome to use! I would much rather have a SRD printed in a slightly smaller font and/or smaller margins, than a super-compact one where the information I need is in 10 different places.

Sage

Explorer
My Version

Hello

I wan't to make my contribution too.

I'm considering doing a heavily hyperlinked HTML version, but we'll see about that :)

I removed the download after Dimwhit gave me the idea that others might want to steal my ideas, I'll put it back up around August the 30.

Sage

Last edited:

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Bad news, I get a pair of error messages when using PrinttoPDF on the revised version of the preview (20 and -27 if you're into Mac speak), and the process stops. So it's going to be Palatino all the way.Though the table text will be set at 8 points to save space.

I'll also be adding pictures, so getting it ready will take longer. But it should look nice.

Remove ads