SRD 3.5 Competition

kreynolds

First Post
doktorstick said:
It starts having serious problems beyond the 80 page count.

Not for me. I've got a doc that I've been writing up for the last three or four years with a page count well over 300. Hasn't been a problem yet.

Now, if we're talkin' 'bout Word on a mac, that's different. ;)

Dimwhit

Explorer
Now, if we're talkin' 'bout Word on a mac, that's different. ;)

Whoa now! Them's fightin' words!:D

Actually, I've never used Word for something like, so you may be right. However, Office v.X was written ground-up for Mac OS X. I hear it's even more stable than the Windows version. ;)

Usurper

First Post
I've had the textboxes jump, but I'm always able to drag them back. Word didn't autoformat what I pasted from the SRD (I had to set all the headings myself). And uh, I thought all the tables in the psi srd were just tabbed text? Though yes, it would be nice to have finer control over the tables in terms of scale. Hopefully I'll have kreynolds luck and not have problems with page count.

Drawmack

First Post
word's page count problem is directly related to system memory. It stores the entire active document in memory when you run out of ram word gets funky.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Drawmack said:
word's page count problem is directly related to system memory. It stores the entire active document in memory when you run out of ram word gets funky.
Which is why I have two gigs of ram MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!111111!111

FluidDragon

First Post
Just a note on my hosting and bandwidth: I have tons, but I have been known to kill a few web servers that became ALOT more popular than I ever anticipated. I don't think it will be an issue here. (Don't host star wars trailers the 1st hour it comes out, even after you remove the file the bounce back requests are enough to kill anything for a few days. Anytime a server would go down at work they would come to me first to find out what I uploaded :D ).

-FD

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Dimwhit said:

Whoa now! Them's fightin' words!:D

Actually, I've never used Word for something like, so you may be right. However, Office v.X was written ground-up for Mac OS X. I hear it's even more stable than the Windows version. ;)

Everything Microsoft does is more stable on a Mac. In part because Mac users won't put up with crud, and in part because the Mac OS is nowhere near as error tolerant as Windows. (According to this fellow I corresponded with once over at Macsoft, 90% of porting from Windows to Mac is cleaning up the codep)

Estlor

Explorer
Usurper said:
And uh, I thought all the tables in the psi srd were just tabbed text?

Yeah, you're right. My bad. I forgot I went through and did some initial formatting on the RTF file before I made the jump to a DOC. One of the things I did was make tables with tab delineation so Word would automatically make cells based on the tabs. It... sort of worked :D

As for page count, I'm up to 181 on my SRD, complete with some pages having two columns and some with one, text boxes, nested text boxes, and lots (and I do mean lots) of tables. Aside from being slow (and a bloated file size) I've had no problems.

Too bad Word Perfect's formatting doesn't translate 100% when run through Acrobat Distiller. It's a much better word processor when it comes to page design, plus the file size is drastically lower.

Sage

Explorer
Estlor said:

Too bad Word Perfect's formatting doesn't translate 100% when run through Acrobat Distiller.

Though I don't know what acrobat distiller is, whenever I have to amke a pdf document, I print it to a pdf file, and the use ghostview (and ghostscript) to convert it to pdf. Works fine with word perfect.
Of course, doing this doesn't give the pdf any bookmarks, which is why I'm not making a pdf :D

Sage

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Is anybody doing an html version rather than pdf?

PDF -- kinda useless for me.

HTML -- awesome.

I'm doing an HTML version but it's a HECK of a pain, so if somebody else is, I may wait for them....

Remove ads