SRD 3.5 Competition

Conaill

First Post
barsoomcore said:
I'm doing an HTML version but it's a HECK of a pain, so if somebody else is, I may wait for them....
Sounds like you don't quite get this whole "competition" idea. :D

Yes, one branch of the contest is to develop the best web-friendly SRD version. Prizes include free web hosting of the winning entry, a character portrait drawn by Alan McFarlane, and your choice of 4 E.N. Publishing e-products.

I believe at least one or two people have stated that they would be entering an html version. But that definitely doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a shot as well! The more entries, the better product we'll get out of this.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Conaill said:
Sounds like you don't quite get this whole "competition" idea. :D
Sounds like you don't quite get this whole "I don't want to do all this work" idea. ;)

Basically, don't want to do it. Even for character illos, don't want to do it. But have to do it if I want it, since nobody else seems to be getting it done.

On the plus side, I'm incredibly anal-retentive when it comes to HTML and will certainly have the "cleanest" HTML of any entry. I'm spending my evenings right now going through the unbelievable CRAP produced by Word when you save an RTF as HTML and trying to streamline it into readable code.

It's not pretty, but it's CLEAN.

woodelf

First Post
barsoomcore said:
I'm spending my evenings right now going through the unbelievable CRAP produced by Word when you save an RTF as HTML and trying to streamline it into readable code.

Find yourself a copy of HTMLTidy. Use it for the inital pass, and then run it through again one more time when you're all done. Webbrowsers everywhere will thank you, and it'll probably save you a whole lot of work.

Conaill

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Basically, don't want to do it. Even for character illos, don't want to do it. But have to do it if I want it, since nobody else seems to be getting it done.
There is another option, if you are not interested in winning the competition, and balk at the amount of work it would take to produce a "finished" version...

Just make whatever you have freely available! You can spend as much time as you want on the areas that you feel really need it, and provide them free for someone else to include them in their html entry. I'm sure they wouldn't mind crediting you for your effort.

Heck, look at reveal's original pdf files. Just plain content, concatenated into larger "chunks", but they're very useful as is. I for one would love to have an equally bare-bones html version available right now, as opposed to having to wait till next month for a deluxe html version. Plus it can only improve the quality (and quantity!) of html entries to the competition.

Flyspeck23

First Post
Here's my entry:

Handout 1 - Core Character Classes
Handout 2 - Skills
Handout 3 - Feats
Handout 4 - Basic Races
Handout 5 - Equipment (and special material)
Handout 6 - Prestige Classes
Handout 7 - Combat
Handout 8 - Spell Lists (and cleric domains)

General link to my free downloads: here it is ;)

Note that
a) this is not the complete SRD (though more may be added in the future - anyway, it could take very long before it's the complete SRD in handout-format)
b) their main use is for printing out and handing to your players, so they're rather "narrow minded"

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
You guys are just bound and determined to make me do this, aren't you? Sheesh.

Well, I have the Basics cleaned up now. I need to figure out what formatting must be done for readability (tables look a little wacky without padding or valign or anything) and then create the CSS to make it all work.

My goal is pure HTML and CSS design. No javascript, no asp. It probably won't work so great in IE for Windows, but I use Safari on the Mac and so don't really give a hoot.

Am I a web designer? I am not.

But I play one in d20 Modern. :D

Dimwhit

Explorer
Flyspeck23,

Did you ever get that situation settled with Amigo?

I use Safari on the Mac and so don't really give a hoot.

Woohoo! Preach on, my friend! Safari rules! (Well, except for the stuff they still haven't figured out on it. :D )

Flyspeck23

First Post
Dimwhit said:
Flyspeck23,

Did you ever get that situation settled with Amigo?

Obviously ;)
Or, more precisely: the handouts seem to be fine by Andy Smith, so they're fine by me, and should be fine by Amigo (although I didn't hear anything from them...)

Glad you care :)

Remove ads