SRD 3.5 Competition

Conaill

First Post
Drawmack said:
maybe a couple days before the deadline dimwhit could start an official submissions thread. Only for posting your submission and no submission not in that thread will be accepted.
I like the submission thread. But I do NOT think it should be mandatory! For one, because that would require contestants to put up hosting space for their submission, adding in an extra barrier to submission.

I mainly like the idea of a submissions thread, because it will allow the public to give input on the submissions. It's great that we have so many judges lined up, but more eyes and more opinions is always a good thing.

Dimwhit

Explorer
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Drawmack
maybe a couple days before the deadline dimwhit could start an official submissions thread. Only for posting your submission and no submission not in that thread will be accepted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the submission thread. But I do NOT think it should be mandatory! For one, because that would require contestants to put up hosting space for their submission, adding in an extra barrier to submission.

I mainly like the idea of a submissions thread, because it will allow the public to give input on the submissions. It's great that we have so many judges lined up, but more eyes and more opinions is always a good thing.

I agree, for the same reason. Some people may not be able to post their stuff. So when it's set up, they can either post the submission in the new thread, or email them directly to me. We'll get everything posted once it's all over with.

But a new submission thread will be necessary. This current thread is getting so bloated and long it will be completely impractical to weed through it.

Drawmack

First Post
I don't understand the hosting issue? I was figuring that people could upload them to the boards as attachements unless they are server side scripting which needs to be hosted to work anyway.

Hey dimwhit email me a list of all the judges names and email addresses and I'll set up a submission form on suryvial where people can upload their entries or send the links to them and then I'll email all the judges automatically when one has been uploaded. So that this doesn't get exploited it would help of those entering could send me an email as well and then I could send them a username and password they would use to upload their submission.

Alternatively if you email the submission to dimwhit he could upload it to the system to take advantage of the features in the system.

This will also avoid someone getting a 10mb file in their email unexpectedly as they'll just be emailed a link to the file.

Then when the contest is all done we'll have all the entries in a mysql database with the php to access that database which makes writting a front end to allow people to download them a matter of about a 1/2 hour's work.

GentleGiant

Explorer
woodelf said:

That said, what do people think about landscape vs. portrait for book layout? My preference is to go with landscape (8.5x11), because then a page basically fits perfectly on screen, and fits perfectly on the paper. But most people seem to dislike this, so i'm currently working on a portrait-orientation version. Less useful on-screen, but seems to upset fewer people when printed. Opinions?

Just to throw a stick in everyone's design wheel (well... if they care) :D
Remember, again, that this is an international board and when you design something that people are able to print out you might consider how your design looks when printed out elsewhere in the world.
For instance, an American's Letter sized design (8.5x11 (21.59x27.94 cm)) might look awful (with respect to the art, if any, but most importantly also with readability) when printed on a piece of A4 paper (21x29.7 cm <- A4 size (European standard)).
Now, granted, I don't know if this is as serious a problem that I'm putting it up to be, but it might be worth considering?!?
Btw, I'm voting for Portrait layouts :D

Sovelior

First Post
I was hoping to join this friendly competition and post the finished html product on the deadline itself. However, due to other commitments, I just realized that I won't be able to beat the deadline and finish the entire thing on time. Rather than put everything into waste, I decided to share what I have so far and inspire those who are still in the running. I'll keep on updating the site whenever I get the chance. It will be finished when it's finished but I don't think Aug 31st will cut it.

Anyway, here's the url link of my supposed entry:
http://geocities.com/sovelior/srd

The site is hosted in an ad-based free web hosting facility, so my apologies in advanced for the popping ads.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Sovelior,

You should go ahead and submit what you have. I don't know how many people are submitting, so it's possible a partially-done version could win. You're looks very nice at a quick glance.

Just watch for the submission thread and post it. It can't hurt any!

I honestly don't know if we'll get 2 submissions or 200!

Dimwhit

Explorer
Hey dimwhit email me a list of all the judges names and email addresses and I'll set up a submission form on suryvial where people can upload their entries or send the links to them and then I'll email all the judges automatically when one has been uploaded. So that this doesn't get exploited it would help of those entering could send me an email as well and then I could send them a username and password they would use to upload their submission.

Drawmack, I'll try to email you this weekend. The info is at home.

And I'll tell you what I told Sovelior: you should submit what you have done. You never know.

Conaill

First Post
GentleGiant said:
For instance, an American's Letter sized design (8.5x11 (21.59x27.94 cm)) might look awful (with respect to the art, if any, but most importantly also with readability) when printed on a piece of A4 paper (21x29.7 cm <- A4 size (European standard)).
Excellent point! Americans tend to be pretty myopic when it comes to issues like this. A4 is an international standard, whereas "Letter" size is a largely US standard.

Estlor

Explorer
Seeing as I'm an American and doing this largely for my own use, naturally my entry will be in Letter size format.

Of course, if I won I'd be more than happy to reformat it into an A4 size. It would take some time, but if it meant making it easier for my patient fellow gamers across the Atlantic and Pacific...

Conaill

First Post
I wouldn't expect you to do a complete reformat for A4. You can keep the text area the same, and just change the width of the borders. If you keep the top and bottom border for the Letter version on the small side, I bet it will look reasonable in the A4 version.

PS: Not that I think this sould be a *requirement* for all entries. But it could score some bonus points, just like having a separate screen and print version...

Last edited:

Remove ads