SRD 3.5 Competition

doktorstick

First Post
Would people mind submitting their template files or master pages for their layouts when they are done (or whenever)?

There are some samples in the competition that I have seen that are real nice, and I would like to prettify my house rules in one of those styles.

Cheers,
/ds

FluidDragon

First Post
If anybody needs temp hosting space for their submission drop me a line I'll hook you up. No banners, ads etc. This is free for contest entires. Or if you need low cost hosting for other projects sites let me know, just be sure to include you are a member of enworld.

scott"no spam" @ fluiddragon.com or contact form

-fd

Sulaco

First Post
Dimwhit said:

Drawmack, I'll try to email you this weekend. The info is at home.

And I'll tell you what I told Sovelior: you should submit what you have done. You never know.

I concur. I am not going to do the whole SRD just cos there is too bloody much of it and I have too much other stuff to do, but I am probably going to be able to get the main stuff done (ie. the contents of the PHB and DMG, and maybe MM if I have the time).

woodelf

First Post
Sulaco said:

I concur. I am not going to do the whole SRD just cos there is too bloody much of it and I have too much other stuff to do, but I am probably going to be able to get the main stuff done (ie. the contents of the PHB and DMG, and maybe MM if I have the time).

huh? If you get the content from the PH, DMG, and MM done, what *haven't* you done?

Anyway, as far as content: having slogged through the rules, and most of the character stuff (still have equipment and spell lists to go), i'll have to say those are the hard parts. Spells and monsters should go fast, since it's mostly lists and i can mostly autoformat it. Only thing that should take much effort is the tables/lists for some spells (Summon Nature's Ally, frex) and the monster statblocks that have to be pulled out into a separate frame 'cause they're wider than a column. 'Course, i'll probably eat my words next week when i get to them. But, so far, so good. The hardest part is the assinine organization of the source files--this'd go a *lot* quicker if i could just slap the stuff into a file and start formatting, instead of having to do all this editing first. And since i refuse to undertake the effort required to properly organize the rules--with *very* few exceptions, i'm trying to do this just by cut-n-pasting the source files, rather than rewriting the content--it's still coming out a bit rough around the edges.

woodelf

First Post
GentleGiant said:

Just to throw a stick in everyone's design wheel (well... if they care) :D
Remember, again, that this is an international board and when you design something that people are able to print out you might consider how your design looks when printed out elsewhere in the world.
For instance, an American's Letter sized design (8.5x11 (21.59x27.94 cm)) might look awful (with respect to the art, if any, but most importantly also with readability) when printed on a piece of A4 paper (21x29.7 cm <- A4 size (European standard)).
Now, granted, I don't know if this is as serious a problem that I'm putting it up to be, but it might be worth considering?!?
Btw, I'm voting for Portrait layouts :D

Ack! You're supposed to remind me of these things *before* i've put several dozen hours in to format and tweak the first 40% (and, by far, the detail-oriented 40%) of the material. I often design specifically with both letter and A4 in mind--that is, i use the shorter of each dimension as my baseline, so that you end up with wasted space (on the sides for letter, on the top&bottom for A4) with either paper size, but nothing is chopped. Of course, that means no full-bleed margin art, but then i'm not too fond of that to begin with.

That said, I don't think i'll bother going back to do it for this project (unless it starts getting tons of downloads once i put it up)--as i said, i'm just too far into it already, and, for some reason, it just totally slipped my mind. However, Acrobat provides a fairly reasonable solution: Shrink to Page when you print. The amount isn't enough to render things illegible (~2.5%), so, while you end up with some whitespace on the page (top&bottom when you shrink letter to A4; sides when you shrink A4 to letter), it's otherwise perfectly functional.

GentleGiant

Explorer
woodelf said:

Ack! You're supposed to remind me of these things *before* i've put several dozen hours in to format and tweak the first 40% (and, by far, the detail-oriented 40%) of the material. I often design specifically with both letter and A4 in mind--that is, i use the shorter of each dimension as my baseline, so that you end up with wasted space (on the sides for letter, on the top&bottom for A4) with either paper size, but nothing is chopped. Of course, that means no full-bleed margin art, but then i'm not too fond of that to begin with.

I know, sorry for not speaking up before (I wanted to read all the posts to make sure I didn't suggest something someone else had already suggested).
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

woodelf said:

That said, I don't think i'll bother going back to do it for this project (unless it starts getting tons of downloads once i put it up)--as i said, i'm just too far into it already, and, for some reason, it just totally slipped my mind. However, Acrobat provides a fairly reasonable solution: Shrink to Page when you print. The amount isn't enough to render things illegible (~2.5%), so, while you end up with some whitespace on the page (top&bottom when you shrink letter to A4; sides when you shrink A4 to letter), it's otherwise perfectly functional.

You are right, most fonts are still fully legible when shrunk this way, but I have come across some that just kind of muddled together when shrunk (sorry, no idea what the names of those fonts are).
Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it, in case someone hadn't finalized their design yet.

Remove ads