D&D 4E SRM Marking Marked and Other 4Eisms

Lizard

Explorer
Doug McCrae said:
How come my 10th level fighter can survive falling 100ft but my 1st level fighter dies? Am I expected to believe his body is somehow tougher?

This game is stoopid.

The in-game reason for that has been explained at length. I call shenanigans!

Kosh

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
Based on the comments regarding the fighter's Thicket of Blades ability, I'm going to guess that you can only mark a character if you attack it first.
So if you want to get rid of a mark on an ally, you have to attack him. Same as the Rogue's movement power. Sounds fine to me. Trading an attack and possible damage for a mark removal seems OK.

How is this different from using Bull Rush in 3.x?

Barbarian Bull Rushes the Wizard to get him out of harms way.

Rogue tricks ally into moving away to get him out of danger.

Fighter bashes Wizard with his hammer to get the Wizard's attention off of the enemy. Now the Wizard is focused on his "ally" who just smashed him, but at least he's not paying attention to that enemy soldier anymore. I hope it was worth it.

Wizard uses Dominate on Fighter to snap him out of the Mind Flayers control. He used a high level spell, so I hope it was worth it.

Fighter takes down Dominated Wizard Ally to prevent him from Fireballing the party.

This all seem fine to me. The 4e examples don't seem worse than the 3e ones.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
ainatan said:
This article was like a kick in my groins, not a big one, but it did hurt.

I have the "i'm going to 4E" in my sig but i'm not 100% sure anymore.

There is a limit of gamist silliness I can handle.
Hold on. How many groins do you have?

Lizard

Explorer
Fallen Seraph said:
Ehh, this may be me. But I have always viewed all PnP not just D&D as essentially a collection of rules that you compile together as you wish to best fit the experience you and your players choose to do. If that entitles some DM control over certain powers to run the game you wish, so be it, or cutting out rules, putting some in, etc. so be it.

This is fine. But the rules as written should not require the DM to issue arbitrary decrees from heaven saying a perfectly valid mechanic can't work because "it wouldn't be fair". (Likewise, rules from professional designers with three years of development and playtesting behind them should not have band-aids like "Well, you just can't do that!" to deal with rules exploits so obvious that they were spotted inside of a minute of being posted. This is why I do *not* think there will be a "You just can't attack/mark/etc allies" rule in 4e; I expect much better of the people behind it.)

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Lizard said:
Yeah, I figured most of my creativity would be spent building a world, plotting a story, making interesting NPCs...not justifying the rules.

But, hey, I guess that's why they spent so much time/effort on the "implied world" -- they knew DMs would be too busy house-ruling to do any world building...

Who said anything about house-ruling ? This is about narrating the effects of abstract game rules that serve to give players narrative power over the game world.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I guess we will just have to wait and see, and heck we are making a lot of assumptions based on a article that wasn't really oriented towards marking and more just about various accessories :p

Now if they did a Sneak Attack style article about this, then yeah definitely we could make a lot more well grounded assumptions.

hong

WotC's bitch
Lizard said:
Yeah, I figured most of my creativity would be spent building a world, plotting a story, making interesting NPCs...not justifying the rules.

And the simple answer to this is known as Hong's 2nd Law.

But, hey, I guess that's why they spent so much time/effort on the "implied world" -- they knew DMs would be too busy house-ruling to do any world building...

Who said anything about house ruling?

Remove ads