Stalker0's Obsidian Skill Challenge System (Update: Version 1.1) Now with PDF!!

Stalker0

Legend
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
It looks pretty practicable.

Now, given that I am in no way a math wonk, if I try this system out this weekend what sort of feedback would you like to get?

First of all, just some general info. What's your party's level, what type of challenge did you do, what kinds of bonuses does your party have. Of large importance, what skills did you allow?

The main information is how does the system work in the party's hands. Did they understand the rules, did they feel comfortable using the system. Did it encourage them to act out and roleplay, or did it feel too "mechanical".

I feel like a jerk for asking :) but would more/fewer rounds than 3 work fine with a different set of DCs and thresholds? If so, you could always slave away at more simulations and then present among super-advanced options supplementary tables for people who are looking for more/fewer rounds/checks to engage the challenge.

Harr

First Post
Brilliant as usual.

Given that a "3 rounds then resolve it" type of structure is what I've been falling into naturally through lots of playing, I'm confident you've hit the real 'sweet spot' within skill challenge scenes with this. You can bet it's going to be incorporated over here :)

To base everything on 3 rounds (or a few cycles of 3 rounds each) is naturally satisfying because it gives the micro-narrative of the challenge a beginning, a middle and an end, which very often (and surprisingly) adds up to a climax and resolution at exactly the right time and feels very 'right', making it extremely easy for the story and descriptions to flow.

So, I won't be testing this until Sunday, but from just reading it over and from everything I know by now from our games I'd say this system stands a really good chance of not just balancing the numbers out, but also stimulating creativity and imagination by letting the DM and his players relax into a solid and intuitive 'scene' structure.

I really hope that the 4e design team (who have stated that they're having meetings to try to sort out the challenges in the RAW) are keeping up with these threads. (Though it's not really gonna make any difference for my group ;) )

Barzhac

First Post
Elegant

I've only played one session of 4E so far, adn no skill challenges. I have read the system though in the DMG, and read some threads with questions/problems/solutions for/about skill challenges. I have been playing one version or another of the game since 1980.

I have to say that while the original system is interesting, especially in terms of rules and game growth, it seems rough and problematic. Kinda like a full-size hybrid SUV. Nice idea, but going from 15 to 18 mpg isn't really worth an extra 10 grand.

Your system (especially with attendant explanation) is, by comparison, elegant. My group takes turns DMing, and I've forwarded a link to this to the other DM's. We're gaming this weekend, and hopefully we'll give it a try. The current DM will have to adapt it to fit KoTS if he wants to use it. If we do, I'll post again and let you know how it goes.

I know I'll be using it when I DM. Unless, of course, you come up with something even better in the interim ;)

dragon_eater

First Post
With your example large challenge (Escape from Jail), how much does succeeding or failing at the first section effect the success rate for the third section?

Also If success is worth experience equal to a complexity 5 skill challenge, how would you recommend giving experience for partial success?

Question: Is it your intent within this system that the normal Aid Another action can be taken? When the enemy is time and not failures it seems like frivolous or cowardly Aid Another would be discouraged but if a party really thinks that it's the better strategy for them, it seems fine with me as long as they realize that's giving up a chance for a success.

Thought: If you don't want just 3 segments, but also don't want unlimited time where they just take damage, lose healing surges, or something else with time, I wonder if it's viable to increase the number of successes necessary for full/partial success. E.g. maybe the king will listen for more than 3 segments but if you want to take more of his time you better come up with something good fast. It's kind of like saying "Best 2 out of 3?" after losing a coin toss. If there's an expected # of successes per segment on average that info could be used to decide how much to raise the threshold for success if you allow a 4th or more segments.

Hambot

First Post
I'm going to try this, but with a 1 player party. I don't want it to be 3 from 3 to be a complete success, so I'll try 2-3 successes as a win, 1 success as a partial win and 0 as a failure. It will probably make it too easy to partially succeed though...

Remove ads