STAR TREK by JJ Abrams - new photos

horacethegrey

First Post
Well, it seems the hell has indeed frozen over. After months of intense speculation and waiting, the makers of the new Trek have released actual images from the film itself. Here's a few of them for your viewing pleasure:

First, the cover of the new Entertainment Weekly:

Second, a picture of the new crew (sans Spock):

Third, the newly designed bridge of the USS Enterprise:

Fourth, Eric Bana as Nero. The image is a little too wide, so please view it via this handy link.

Fifth, Chris Pine as Kirk, emerging from what seems to be a Federation escape pod:

And finally, Zachary Quinto as Syl- er, Spock choking the life out of Pine's Kirk.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Uh... I dislike the new design of the bridge. It might be more in line with modern scifi... But it doesn't look like the bridge of Enterprise...

Uh... I dislike the new design of the bridge. It might be more in line with modern scifi... But it doesn't look like the bridge of Enterprise...

I fear it is impossible to keep the old bridge design. It just doesn't work anymore.

But then, I am actually a fan of the idea of "reimagining" Star Trek - "fix" the storyline where it needs fixing (plot holes, inconsistencies, ambiguties). And possibly even change the story where it just sucks (several parts of Voyager, Enterprise or the movies ;) )

Joker

First Post
Eric Bana looks cool and I'll watch it to see Simon Pegg do Scotty. But the very teenage looking Kirk is annoying me a bit.

Mallus

Legend
My take:

The cast does, overall, look too young.

The set looks good... it's a nice re-imaging of the TNG bridge with touches of the TOS bridge (like the flexible bowling alley lamps visible on the one console).

The male uniforms look like pajamas and the female uniform is a miniskirt. Perfect.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Ditto, but there's still hope that it's due to the perspective. I still see the classic handrails, love the captain's chair, and the hi-tech feel isn't bad, so we perhaps have to see it "in action".

The crew... I'm split. Quinto makes a very cool Spock, I think, and he's surprisingly non-Sylar on the cover. Even on the "choke-Kirk" picture, it's a different "psycho-look".

Uhura is okay, McCoy gives a different feel than the original McCoy, but I have to see him in action first, I think that could turn out well. Sulu could turn out okay as well... seems to fit, not too sure about the new Scotty - on the shot on the bridge, he looks old, compared to original Scotty and the current cast.

But Kirk... he lacks some sort of authority. He doesn't convey captain to me on the pictures.

So: Mixed feelings, nothing completely bad, but things I have to wait until I can judge them properly.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads