STAR TREK PICARD Trailer (2023) NYCC

Just saw episode 1, and one episode in the season lives up to the promise of its trailers. Picard and Riker bantering their way around the galaxy is way more fun, and a better showcase for the title character, than Picard vaguely and distantly leading a bunch of randos like seasons 1 and 2, even for those of us who grew to like the bunch of randos. And anything reassembles the old crew seems much more "season long plot arc" worthy, that what they came up with for seasons 1 and 2. The end of episode 1 sets off some minor shark jumping alarms, but whatever, I'm still optimistic.

It also feels like even more of a soft reboot than I expected. Aside from the cast changes, they used Next Gen theme music, and seemed to have made a point of making it about 98% accessible to someone who never watched an episode of the first two seasons. I suppose if you came in so cold as to not know that Seven of Nine had been in the first two seasons you might be wondering when she became friends with Picard, but basically the things non-viewers missed are nothing you can't gather from context.

I choose to revive this thread for this comment, because I couldn't decide whether I wanted to make a spoiler thread or a spoiler free thread, and realized that this trailer "spoils" a little more of episode 1 than anything I had to say.

Last edited:

Remove ads