Star Wars, Alien, etc. novelization dispute

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If there is a strike over this (I don't think there will be, but if there is) I would not expect well-established writers of any English-speaking nation are going to jump on board as scabs.
Well, that was my genuine question. Is that a thing? If a US union has a strike, does the rest of the world follow suit? And if so, that's problematic in itself. If it's the case.

Honestly, I don't know how that works in practice. But - with all respect - I'm not sure that you do either. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Honestly, I don't know how that works in practice. But - with all respect - I'm not sure that you do either. :)

Yes, well, I can use Google and look back at the last US writer's strikes, and find articles like this:

"The Writers' Guild of Great Britain is linking arms across the pond with WGA members by pledging support for the ongoing strike action stateside.

The WGGB has called on its members -- and all U.K. writers, for that matter -- to "refuse to break the strike by filling in for U.S. writers in dispute.""

The article notes that in the major US writer's strike in 1988, again, UK writers held the line with their American colleagues.

Do you want to continue arguing this, or can we move on?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, well, I can use Google and look back at the last US writer's strike, and find articles like this:

"The Writers' Guild of Great Britain is linking arms across the pond with WGA members by pledging support for the ongoing strike action stateside.

The WGGB has called on its members -- and all U.K. writers, for that matter -- to "refuse to break the strike by filling in for U.S. writers in dispute.""

That answers the question! And it only took 13 posts! :D

GreyLord

Legend
Well, not every Canadian or British writer is exactly "unknown" and "any old person hired off the street". In fact, I'll bet a bunch of stuff you watch is written by non-Americans. Disney works outside the US extensively; the Star Wars movies are filmed in the UK, and have a largely British cast and crew. LotR (different studio) is basically a New Zealand production. I think you might just be being a bit contrary here (and a little offensive) - non-Americans aren't 'unknowns' and are employed plenty by these international megacorps.

If I recall, British Writers many times will join Americans in a boycott or other items. IF (and that's a big IF) it went to that, Disney would probably not just lack American Writers (US and Canadian) but many of their British Counterparts as well. They normally all understand what affects one can affect them all, and surprisingly they can get united together in some things in these instances.

Sure, at that point there would still be Australians (maybe) and New Zealand, but their group of English writing will be incredibly small comparatively if Disney got blacklisted to that degree.

Yep. Who reading this is going to say, "Yeah, that's horrible - I'm giving up The Mandalorian until they pay up!"?

Personally I've been trying to avoid buying any Disney product firsthand since 2012 (secondhand products [REDACTED], are fine though, as they don't get any additional money from that.)(I also sometimes reluctantly buy stuff from them as gifts, but only when its cheap and I can't think of any other gifts for someone)

Well, as has been noted, this looks crummy, but...nobody's going to boycott Disney over it, so hardly a real issue to the bottom line. I don't know that the House of Mouse actually cares.

I mean, what really need is an act of congress rather than a boycott. Break the company up like Bell Telephones was, and reduce copyright to last only a couple of decades. If the people why create these products can't profit off of them then why should the corporation that produces them be allowed to profit off of them (and also, we need better education on how businesses work; a lot of the people defending copyright law have the bizarre notion that these two groups are the same people. The executives and stockholders of the Disney corporation do not create anything [or provide any other meaningful contribution to society].)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
(secondhand products and using other people's Disney+ accounts [and using a series of converter boxes to run someone else's Disney+ account through my old VCR]

So, EN World does not support piracy and copyright violation. Please do not admit directly to my face that you're committing piracy. Thanks.

I mean, what really need is an act of congress rather than a boycott. Break the company up like Bell Telephones was, and reduce copyright to last only a couple of decades.

I don't think a couple authors shorted on their royalties are going to come to such grand results as that.

So, EN World does not support piracy and copyright violation. Please do not admit directly to my face that you're committing piracy. Thanks.
[REDACTED]. At worst it falls into the same grey area as taping a ballgame without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

EDIT:

I don't think a couple authors shorted on their royalties are going to come to such grand results as that.

They likely won't, but it doesn't hurt to dream. And it's not just for the sake of the authors mentioned here that I advocate this, Disney is awful in pretty much every way they can be.

EDIT:

Mickey-Mouse-Darth-Vader.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads