Star Wars - DRK-1X and its Mistress

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Mistress Dofina regards Derek for a moment before answering. "Because. In my time thinking about my current situation, and what I have available to me at the moment, I'd rather have someone that works for me because they want to, not because they have to. I want people I can trust. And for right now, you're the only 'people' I have. DRK-1X obeys me because he is programmed to. He was also given the gift to think for himself. At any time, he can override that programming and decide it's not in his best interest to work for me. I'm quite certain you could do the same. So I'm giving you a choice."

Yes, but not on board this ship. It doesn't have HoloNet access.

Ambrus

Explorer
Derek was beginning to feel uneasy once more; his neural network was already beginning to register processing errors due to the nature of this unusually frank discussion with his Mistress concerning droid self-determination. "I... I'm sorry for saying so Mistress, but... I believe you're grossly underestimating the difficulty involved in having a droid reprogram its own behavioral protocols. Although DRK-1X's programming skills exceed mine, I don't believe it would be able to leave your service if it simply desired to."

A momentary program error manifests itself in the human replica droids' motivator unit; causing Derek to blink seventeen times in quick succession before his self-diagnostic systems identifies and repairs the glitch. "If... Excuse me. If it were that easy, droid desertion would be a much more common occurrence than it is. Manufacturers take significant precautions to ensure that their products serve their customers loyally. If they were lax in their efforts to quash droid free-will they'd be forced to pay for it with warranty infractions and lawsuits. They'd be ruined."

With processor lag becoming a significant issue for him, the droid nonetheless presses on with the taboo subject. "Might I ask Mistress, if you are concerned with my loyalty enough to offer me this choice and are also certain that 1X is equally capable of abandoning you at will, then why didn't you offer it the same choice?"

OOC: I'm curious to know, does the way I describe the two droids' loyalty issues, the difficulty it causes them and the underlying logic behind it all make sense to you? Do you imagine droids in the Star Wars universe are fundamentally different somehow then how I play them?

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Dofina nods. "Perhaps the difficulty is higher than I know, organics are my specialty anyway, but the point is, it is obvious that you have the ability to think for yourself. To question a master's orders. I wanted X to have that same capability, to catch any mistakes I may have made in my judgement. I'm sure X could relay to you a multitude of times that he has had to remind me of some possible error that could occur in some of my plans."

The Nemoidian woman stops for a moment, closing her eyes as if remembering something. "Sure, DRK-1X has loyalty programming built in, as do all droids like you said, but even that can be overridden. As to why I haven't told him to make a choice, well, I honestly don't know. I hadn't really thought it right after all these years of loyal service. Do you think I should?"

Actually I like the way you portray the droids and they way 'think' about things. The other droids that X command around are baseline, no real thinking power other than that which is needed to accomplish their assigned tasks, X and Derek both have the ability to 'think' and alter their programming if it becomes necessary, even going so far as to edit certain hard wired files... This to me, feels very Star Warsy. C-3PX does it, IG-88 does it, PLUVO241 does it, even Guri does it.

Ambrus

Explorer
The intentional shift in the conversation, away from his own independence and towards DRK-1X's, began to alleviate the conflict in the dark skinned droid's neural network. Speaking theoretically about another droid's state of mind didn't provoke the same program conflicts that voicing discontent about one's own servitude did. Slowly, Derek's processor efficiency increases as the behavioral objections of his algorithmic node are resolved. Grateful for the respite, the human replica droid continues along with the same strategy; indirectly communicating his thoughts to his Mistress by passing them off as those of his counterpart. "If you'll pardon me for saying so Mistress, I believe you may be misjudging your probot's ability to respond to you. Say for instance that you were to offer it this choice, it remains highly unlikely that it would be able to choose freely as an organic slave might. DRK-1X has subservience, loyalty and behavioral protocols hard-wired into its algorithmic node. The fact that it's been near you for so long means that 1X is likely adept at discerning which choice you would prefer it make. It's not as if it would wish to lie to you; it's that, by design, it is programmed to favor the option you desire. In effect it is made to desire that which you desire."

Derek pauses for a few seconds, to both allow Dofina to assimilate this information at her own pace and also to give him added time to clear a few more conflicting thoughts from his neural network. "Now, your probot might have more independence to freely speak its mind than most droids, since you seem to have spent years encouraging it to do so, but there's another impetus for it to overcome if presented with such a choice. Even if DRK-1X is adequately able to care for itself and might desire to be independent, you have to be aware that, as a droid, it remains irrationally afraid of being without you. Most droids are hardwired to experience an ever increasing sensation akin to anxiety or discomfort when merely contemplating disloyalty or independence. Even insisting that you wanted it to make the choice freely wouldn't do much more than cause your probot further stress as it tries to follow your implicit instruction while simultaneously trying to determine your true desire and manage its own anxiety."

"The only way that you'd ever manage to get DRK-1X to exercise genuine free-will would be to have its subservience and loyalty protocols removed. Even I..." The HRD's lidded photoreceptors slowly close and open as the conversation shifts back to himself and consequently begins to overtax his motivator unit. "...whose ownership remain more nebulous than 1X's, am experiencing difficulty in merely contemplating gaining my own independence. V-very much like DRK-1X, I feel compelled to remain in your presence to serve and protect you." The dark-skinned droid opens his mouth as if to say something more, but slowly closes it after a few seconds of impotent silence.

[sblock=OOC]I've always been intrigued by the droids in Star Wars and still contend that the true hero of the whole series is R2-D2. [Three page listing of proof deleted for brevity.] The ability to wave a lightsaber around pales in comparison to the ability to hack the Death Star IMHO. I'm still astounded by the fact that droids aren't a standard player character option in the RPG.

I'm just concerned that I'm allowing too much Asimov-style robot-psychology to sneak into my role-playing. I'd imagine that some people would object to adding this kind of depth to droid characters since most seem to consider them mere secondary or tertiary characters.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Dofina nods along with Derek's explanation, understanding in a way only a scientist could. She doesn't say much at first, taking in everything and going over it a few times before handing out a response. "Interesting. Very interesting." She doesn't say anything more as she turns to look at the streaks of light going past the cockpit.

After a time, she stands up and excuses herself. She wanders the ship for a while before finding DRK-1X. "X? I have an idea..."

[sblock=OOC]Therein lies our common thinking process. Droids to me have just as much, if not more, personality than some of the organics in Star Wars. They are what holds some of the groups together and often carry the story along. That they think of their existence constantly and have a unique insight into all exiatence, is a key point to roleplaying them, as far as I'm concerned. Besides, other than Dofina, X and Derek haven't had much contact with organics...

As far as I have read, the Saga Edition plans to make droids a 'normal' option as a PC, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they are doing with that come March.
[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
Dofina doesn't have to wander far since DRK-1X is located in the computer room directly behind the bridge as it's been spending most of its time of late plugged directly into the vessel's systems. Although its proximity to the cockpit made the effort unnecessary, the probot had been monitoring Dofina and Derek's conversation via the vessel's internal intercom system. Even as its Mistress enters the room, 1X is busy monitoring and directing most of the activity throughout the transport. When Dofina first addresses the probot, 1X withdraws its Code from the network and then retracts and stows its scomplink probe before turning and floating up to regard its Mistress. "Acknowledgement: Yes Mistress?"[sblock=OOC]Derek hasn't much direct experience dealing with organics, but I imagine DRK-1X does. Having served Dofina, a noblewoman, for several years I imagine that's 1X has accompanied her during most of her wheeling & dealing with organics. You've even mentioned that she regularly sent out the probot on its own to directly oversee some of her investments in Hutt space. It's in part how I imagine it acquired a level of scoundrel and acquired the illicit barter ability.

From what I've read of the new Saga edition, droids still aren't going to be featured in the races chapter as a standard player option. I figure they'll appear again as an optional PC race in the droid section. Keep in mind that the original D20 edition didn't feature them at all except as equipment because the designers had no idea anyone had any interest in playing one. I doubt they'll ever be anything more than an option since many GMs don't seem to like the idea of them as PCs. *shrug*

I believe they'll likely be updated significantly though to help balance them out better with the other PC options. I seem to recall reading something about there also being a system for building droids from scratch. I guess we'll see...
:) [/sblock]

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Dofina's attitude seems to elevate a notch, like it always does when she seems to be on to something. "It seems that Derek may not be wanting to leave any time soon and I could certainly use his abilities. So, I've decided that even if I go into hiding, perhaps my influence doesn't have to. What do you think of Derek being a proxy for my power base?"

[sblock=OOC]True, but I was referring to recently.... :)

I just saw the post about the new news at Wizards about the saga edition and its scratch droids, that should be very interesting to see...

On that note, I plan on sticking to these rules for the foreseeable future with this campaign, unless we find some glaring thing that needs to be updated.
[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
DRK-1X's emotive node registers both pleasure at seeing its Mistress in a better mood, but also trepidation upon hearing her latest plan; the woman's schemes had led her into nothing but danger and ruin in the past few months. "Statement of opinion: I believe the idea has some merit. Inquiry: But since you've lost most of your former holdings and allies, what influence and power would you wish him to manage by proxy? What would you have him do with them?"[sblock=OOC]Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be for the droids to attempt and replace or modify Derek's syntheskin to change his appearance?[/sblock]

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Dofina nods. "I realize that. However, I don't plan on staying inactive while I'm hiding away from the Empire and whoever else wants to kill me, but instead of me being the face of the new power I plan on gaining, Derek would take that place."

Yes, assuming you could get a hold of the synthskin or grow it, it would be somewhat difficult, but since you have medical droids on hand, the process would go much smoother. At least for the skin coloration. Altering his facial structure would take more work.

Ambrus

Explorer
"Report: Derek and I had been considering the liability of he continuing to operate in the open while retaining his current appearance. We don't know who the Genelabs scientists used as a model, but it seems likely that the corporation may have taken steps to have their stolen property identified and reacquired should it appear publicly. Suggestion: To that end, we though it might be wise to attempt to replace his current synthskin cover with a new and unrecognizable one; just as we have replaced our previous vessel with this one for similar reasons. Statement of opinion: That being done, I would see no likely problems with attempting that which you suggest."[sblock=OOC]Since you say that synthskin can be grown I'm guessing there's some living organic component to the stuff. Considering that we've got a leading biologist, five medical droids and thirty bacta tanks available would we be able to grow a new skin for Derek on the ship using what we have available? We could take a skin graft from Derek and use it to jump-start the growth of a new synthskin shroud in one of the tanks. I imagine the repair remotes could also make a few subtle changes to Derek's facial structure. Would we be missing anything? If feasible how long would the process take and how much control would we have over changing his appearance?

Also, would there be some way to reprogram and imbue Four's nanobot colony into a replacement sythskin so that Derek would be able to control his appearance the way she did, or is that a pie in the sky idea? If the latter is feasible, it might not even be necessary to grow a new skin at all.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads