• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Star Wars] SECR Preview #5 is up

hobgoblin

First Post
remember that even if its only x rounds used against a single target, said gun is jumping around (how that translate to SW blasters is a different story).

hell, i watched a program about the development of the modern gun, and there they talked about the tommygun. the first time it was used by a gangster, the target got away unhurt because the user forgot to compensate for the barrel climb. later models where fitted with muzzle breaks (or something like that), using some of the gasses to push the barrel back down.

for a person with barely any bab, the negative will be bad. but for someone with high bab (imo someone thats more then a grunt) the reduction will not be that bad. but its still something used against weaker targets to take them out faster from the fight. or maybe used on that high level enemy if you also get a lot of help (aid another and a hail of bullets/blasts).

interestingly, the 3 round setting extra rule only allows you to spend less bullets. it has no effect on damage or modifier...

this is starting to sound like a interesting take on SW. the shield system could make for some interesting space battles where attackers are doing their best to beat that shield down while the defenders are doing all they can to hold it up :)

hmm, maybe ill rip it for use in d20 future ;)

nerfherder

Explorer
masshysteria said:
So if you are going to translate this to a modern game, you'd probably need a different feat to simulate a two shot burst.
I would probably allow the current "spray and pray" as a free option instead of a feat in a modern game, and rewrite the Burst Fire feat.
But most importantly, it works for the game.
Absolutely! :)

Sir Brennen said:
Yeah, I think that's what Nerf was referring to... the -4 penalty is what contradicts conventional wisdom. The idea is you can get a few bullets out of the barrel before recoil kicks in, thus increasing the odds of hitting a target with more than one bullet.
There is still recoil, but if you aim mid-target then subsequent rounds should have a decent chance of still hitting the target higher up (like in the head). And, of course, the aim for first round fired should not be affected by recoil induced by subsequent rounds fired...

Has the Burst Fire feat been mentioned in a SW preview yet?
Yes, in Preview 5: "the Burst Fire feat allows you to use a weapon set on autofire against a single target at the normal –5 penalty. If you hit the target, you deal an extra 2 dice of damage. Since the attack isn't an area attack, it doesn't deal half damage on a miss, and the damage can't be reduced with the scout's Evasion talent."

hobgoblin said:
remember that even if its only x rounds used against a single target, said gun is jumping around (how that translate to SW blasters is a different story).
Ah, but the first shot fired in a burst shouldn't be any less accurate than a single shot fired...

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'd almost rather have the Spycraft version: no extra damage, but a "wide burst" gives a +1 to hit at the cost of those extra bullets.

nerfherder

Explorer
Henry said:
I'd almost rather have the Spycraft version: no extra damage, but a "wide burst" gives a +1 to hit at the cost of those extra bullets.
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the Spycraft version - thanks for reminding me. I might also add one extra dice of damage if you roll 5 or more greater than your opponent's Reflex Defense, to represent the chance of a second hit.

Sir Brennen

Legend
nerfherder said:
Yes, in Preview 5: "the Burst Fire feat allows you to use a weapon set on autofire against a single target at the normal –5 penalty. If you hit the target, you deal an extra 2 dice of damage. Since the attack isn't an area attack, it doesn't deal half damage on a miss, and the damage can't be reduced with the scout's Evasion talent."
Ah, I kinda glazed over and thought that paragraph was still talking about full auto-fire. Thought it was kinda strange that Evasion didn't apply to the area of effect for full auto.

nerfherder said:
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the Spycraft version - thanks for reminding me. I might also add one extra dice of damage if you roll 5 or more greater than your opponent's Reflex Defense, to represent the chance of a second hit.
The only thing is, do blasters have "ammo" that you track? If not, players would always auto-fire to get a bonus to hit and possible added damage, with no downside, if you converted this to a futuristic setting.

Plus, the "if within X" mechanic to me seems a bit clunky, if the goal of this edition is to streamline things.

nerfherder

Explorer
Sir Brennen said:
The only thing is, do blasters have "ammo" that you track? If not, players would always auto-fire to get a bonus to hit and possible added damage, with no downside, if you converted this to a futuristic setting.

Plus, the "if within X" mechanic to me seems a bit clunky, if the goal of this edition is to streamline things.
Actually, I'm more thinking about this for when I convert the rules to a modern game, to give a more realistic feel. I'll probably leave them as they are for Star Wars where emulating the feel of the films is more important.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
nerfherder said:
Sounds like original Deadlands rules. +1 bullet of damage for each 'raise' (+5 over the target number) on the attack.

Ranger REG

Explorer
nerfherder said:
Oh, I have no problems with the basic autofire rules - area effect damage to hit points nicely represents characters trying to dodge and duck out of the way. I like this :)

I was talking about the Burst Fire feat that gives extra damage to an individual for a reduced chance to hit. To accurately model how the real world works (or at least how I've been told it works by some ex-soldiers and marines) there should be an increase to the chance to hit, and a chance of extra damage. I'm not too worried about it, though - I'm sure it works well in the Star Wars game, and I can adjust it for a modern game.
Oh, great. Even the military are contradicting and arguing among themselves. ;)

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
JohnSnow said:
If memory serves, there are more advanced autofire feats in some of the stuff the Game Mechanics put out.
Like Improved Autofire?

(Actually, this came from Ultramodern Firearms d20. The Game Mechanics copied it into their Modern Player's Companion. A moot point since the feat is OGC and both products are print-published by Green Ronin.)

In d20 Modern, you increase the DC by 5 (from 15 to 20). If you import it into SECR, either you gain a straight up +5 bonus to your roll, OR get a reroll (someone once posted that a reroll is like virtually getting a +5 bonus).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads