Star Wars - Tales from the Outer Rim

Jodo Kast

First Post
PRELUDE - WELCOME TO MALABAR ...

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ...

EXTERIOR: DEEP SPACE. Thousands of stars shine brilliantly against a backdrop of black. Suddenly a modified Correllian YT-1300 transport lurches out of hyperspace. The ship’s cockpit has been removed from the right side of the hull and replaced with a center-mounted unit that sits between the mandibles. The engine section has been almost entirely removed and replaced with three powerful sublight engines and a first-class hyperdrive. Two modified laser cannons are mounted to turrets, one dorsally and one ventrally, and they are supported by a single blaster cannon. The vessel's sleek silhouette, however, is belied by its carbon-scored hide and limping movement. This is the Rim Runner.

INTERIOR: THE COCKPIT OF THE RIM RUNNER. An azure planet dominates the view from the cockpit of the Rim Runner. It is an ocean world, the only land taking the form of tiny island chains. Massive cyclonic clouds cover much of the ocean surface. Inside, a Sullustan jabbers something in a strange language as he attempts to patch a sparking, crackling wire, his dark eyes wide with panic beneath protective goggles. A rugged looking Rodian sits at the controls and sighs.

"Malabar. Why did it have to be Malabar?"

EXTERIOR: MALABAR. The Rim Runner's three sublight engines ignite, propelling the transport into the planet's atmosphere, one of the engines cutting on and off sporadically. The front of the vessel is outlined in a penumbra of red as its shielding protects it from the heat of atmospheric entry. Then the transport assumes a less steep angle and the heat dissipates as the ship skims over the surface of a cyclone cloud, some ten miles deep with a diameter greater by far. Lightning dances in the giant storm below. And then the Rim Runner is clear, past the storm and above calm ocean. The transport dives low, practically skimming the surface of the sea. Suddenly a monstrous creature rises from the water directly in the transport's path, its head impossibly broad. The creature arcs, its head plunging back into the sea, followed by a long, broad, serpentine back lined with rows of curved fins. Finally, the wide, powerful tail of the beast crests the surface and slaps down, sending a spray of seafoam high into the air, soaking the cockpit window of the Rim Runner as the transport flies past. As the water beads and runs off the window, a small landmass becomes visible ahead. The island is covered with lush tropical forest.

EXTERIOR: GANLO ISLAND. The tell-tale signs of smoke rising indicate the small coastal settlement ahead. The hull of an old ripship rises from the moist sand, a casualty of setting down too close to the tide line. Further up on the beach several transports are landed. Here the island's broad beach is packed hard by pounding waves, and it's as good as any duracrete landing pad. The Rim Runner lurches to a halt in midair and landing gear emerge from its underside. The ship rocks from side to side as it touches down hard, sending up clouds of sand. The boarding ramp lowers, and the Rodian and Sullustan emerge, their knees wobbly from the rough landing.

The short Sullustan stumbled down the ramp, tugging at his flight suit. The baggy suit was weighted down with tools of every variety, each clamped to a metal ring on the suit. He babbled incessantly, large jowls flapping, pointing back at the ship with his stubby fingers.

The tapered end of the Rodian's green snout formed a rueful grin, and a light gleamed deep in his dark eyes. "No, Tevy, not yet. We'll get parts later. First we stop for lum. And I have some ... business to attend." The grim Rodian's hands casually dropped to the butts of the heavy blasters slung low at either side.

Tevy shrugged his shoulders and muttered under his breath. For Baydo, it seemed that lum was always the top priority. And there always seemed to be some unpleasant business to attend.

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Jodo... the last time I saw you, you were on Tatooine hunting for Adar Tallon.

Looking forward to another Star Wars story.

Jodo Kast

First Post
LostSoul said:
Jodo... the last time I saw you, you were on Tatooine hunting for Adar Tallon.

Looking forward to another Star Wars story.
I remember Tatooine. Tallon never had a chance. I always get my man. Seriously though, LostSoul, I believe you'll find I have taken liberties with the Jodo Kast character that make him an even more mysterious and formidable foe than he was in those great old West End Games d6 products. In fact, you'll find that I've incorporated many WEG characters, vessels, places, etc. into my d20 game. I'll try to give credit where it is due. Hope you enjoy this Star Wars story hour.

Last edited:

Jodo Kast

First Post
... HAVE A NICE DAY!

Baydo and Tevy sat at a table made from a large jungle tree. The nearby makeshift bar was fashioned out of old plastic and metallic cargo crates with a board of plastic over them. Several animal fat lanterns hung from the ceiling, sputtering away and providing meager light. Banks of wind chimes hung near the door, tinkling softly in the warm, humid breeze. Tevy greedily slurped from a bowl of spicy stew. Baydo sipped a liquor distilled from various native jungle fruits and watched the door intently. The only other person in the cantina was the bartender, a contemplative Ithorian. She was humming softly to herself, the mouths on each side of her neck producing a stereo effect.

Tevy spewed soup from his jowls all over the table when Baydo elbowed him in the ribs. "Company," the Rodian hissed. Baydo nodded to the door, and the companions watched as two newcomers entered the cantina. The first was a Quarren, its head tentacles moving anxiously below its mouth, a heavy blaster worn visibly at its side. The second was a tall Trandoshan with a scaly hide and armed with a blaster carbine. The Ithorian bartender stopped humming and disappeared into the storeroom.

The Quarren spoke in its alien tongue. "<Baydo! You have a lot of balls coming here.>"

"<You tell your slimeball boss Choti the Squid,>" said Baydo in perfect Quarrenese, "<that I've got his money.>"

"<Good! Show it to me,>" snarled the Quarren.

Baydo chuckled. "<Well, I don't have the money on me. I just need a little more time ...>"

"<Choti thought you might say that. Here is his answer.>" The Quarren nodded to the Trandoshan, and before either Baydo or Tevy could react the reptilian thug lowered his blaster carbine and let fly. The blast struck Tevy square in the chest and sent him flying against the wall with a yelp and a sickening thud.

"<No!>" cried Baydo, this time in Rodian. His hands flew to his blasters, drawing the weapons with lightning speed. The Trandoshan tried to dive behind the bar, but he was riddled with blaster burns before he even hit the floor.

The Quarren thug was attempting to slip out the door when Baydo trained those deadly blasters on him. "Oo-ta goo-ta, scumbag?"

Just then, however, the wind died down, the chimes stopped tinkling, and an ominous quiet fell over the room. Baydo saw a familiar silhouette framed in the doorway. The armored figure strode confidently into the room, one hand raised toward Baydo, wagging the forefinger in a silent warning. The other hand trained a modified heavy blaster on the Rodian. Knowing he was far outmatched, Baydo holstered his pistols angrily, crossed his arms, and glared at the man in red and black.

"Jodo Kast. It's been a long time. Still Choti's lapdog, eh?"

The armored man said nothing. The Quarren had recovered, however, and glared menacingly at Baydo. "<Consider this your last warning, Baydo. Next time, you will not be so lucky.>" The Quarren turned and stomped out of the cantina, leaving his Trandoshan companion dead on the floor. Jodo Kast backed slowly out the door. Baydo was certain the bounty hunter was smiling under that helmet.

As soon as they had departed, Baydo rushed to Tevy's side. The gruff, crusty smuggler was surprised by the depth of the sorrow that gripped him. He had lost partners before, but Tevy had been more than that. Tevy had been his only friend. "Well, Tevy, at least you died a violent death. Where am I ever gonna find someone else who can keep that old hunk of junk flying?"

This installment of Tales from the Outer Rim owes special thanks to West End Games' wonderful supplement, Platt's Starport Guide by Peter Schweighofer. Ganlo Island is modeled loosely after Port Haven from that book. Additionally, the bounty hunter Jodo Kast appeared in several West End Games products as well as other expanded universe materials. I have taken the liberty of changing the color scheme of Kast's Mandalorian battle armor to black and red, as well as other changes that will be seen in future installments.

Last edited:

Grifter86

First Post
So, was this the first session, an introduction to the game (a smuggler seeking a new partner and maybe a crew), or part of a character's background?
Whatever it is, I like it.

Jodo Kast

First Post
Grifter86 said:
So, was this the first session, an introduction to the game (a smuggler seeking a new partner and maybe a crew), or part of a character's background? Whatever it is, I like it.
Thanks Grifter. Actually, it was all of the above. Our group varies from 5 to 7 players, each of whom will be introduced in time through this story hour. You'll meet the first of the actual PCs in the next installment (which I hope to post tonight). His goal was eventually to become a free-wheeling smuggler in charge of his own stock light freighter. We designed the Rim Runner based on the Chaser, a ship featured in West End Games' Wretched Hives of Scum and Villainy (one of the all-time best Star Wars supplements, in my opinion). But I didn't just want to hand him the keys. So we half-gamed, half-brainstormed through his early adventures, before he even knew how to pilot a transport. As you have probably guessed, this PC is going to cross paths with the Rodian Baydo in the near future. I wrote the prelude "Welcome to Malabar ... have a nice day" because the PC was curious about what happened to Baydo's former partner. You see, Baydo's partners have a bad habit of getting fragged.... I also wanted to foreshadow the appearance of some of the campaign's major NPCs, such as Jodo Kast and Choti the Squid. I'm eventually going to post a website, I'm in the process of commissioning some character art to put up on the site and want to hold off until I have that in place. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy this story hour!

Last edited:

Jodo Kast

First Post
HEAD TRIP - PART I

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ...

"If there's a bright center of the universe, this must be the planet farthest from," groaned Jirair Gann. The young man lay in a hammock, his hands crossed behind his head, staring up wistfully at the late afternoon sky. Stars were already becoming faintly visible through the canopy of thick foliage overhead. The ocean breeze rustled through his shaggy, sandy blonde hair.

"Yup. This is the ass-end of space," muttered Biqua distractedly. The Mon Calamari was studiously eyeballing some unidentifiable component, holding it out from his face at a distance by its frayed power cord as if it might bite him. The part was from a real hunk of junk, a YT-1300 tramp freighter that Biqua would not trust if it was the last ship on the planet and the sun was about to go nova. And he certainly didn't trust the shady Rodian who owned the ship.

"It's just not fair. Jaros got offworld over a year ago, and he's three years younger than I am. Meanwhile, I'm stuck here taking care of the family."

The Mon Cal sighed. "You, my friend, are a whiny loser. You have passed up every opportunity to leave ..."

The Mon Cal's voice trailed off as a loud humming broke the silence of the jungle. He eyed the strange component dubiously, then realized the sound was coming from elsewhere. Crashing through the dense foliage was a speeder bike, recklessly hurtling at top speed directly at them! Biqua threw himself to the ground and covered his head. Jirair bolted upright, then fell off to the side and became hopelessly entangled in the hammock. The speeder bike skidded to a halt less than a meter away.

"Woo hoo!" yelled the speeder bike's rider as he dismounted. The human's wide smile was infectious. Even as Jirair cursed the rider, his face broke into a grin of its own. He hung there in the hammock, staring upside down at his best friend. Biqua brushed dust and grime from his overalls and began looking around for the strange part, his annoyance obvious.

"Dev Novo, give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you?"

The younger man bent down, hands on his knees, and tilted his head until it was on a plane with Jirair's. "Because killing an Imperial officer is a capital offense!"

Jirair's eyes widened and he squirmed. The hammock responded, dumping him unceremoniously onto the jungle floor. "You were accepted?! That's ... that's great!"

"Yeah, Imperial Navy Flight School. This time next year I'll be flying TIE fighters out there." Dev pointed up with one hand, extending the other to help Jirair to his feet.

Biqua tried his best to appear put out, but eventually he broke into a smile as well and congratulated his friend. "I just hope you fly better than you ride that thing," he said, nodding towards the speeder bike.

The friends were interrupted by a gravelly voice calling impatiently from the nearby thatched shop. "Biqua, Jirair, get in here! Lazy fools!"

Jirair rolled his eyes and waved his arm at Dev, indicating he should follow. The three ducked into the low backdoor of the dingy shop. Junk of every description lie heaped about, crowding the backroom such that they had to follow a narrow, precarious path through the shop. Near the front, a fat Toydarian hovered above a work bench, poking at the head of a droid with a servowrench. This was Bobbo, Jirair and Biqua's disreputable employer.

"Why you bring that no good friend?" Bobbo wrinkled his hooked nose at Dev Novo and spat upon the ground. Dev shrugged his shoulders and looked behind him, then back at Bobbo as if to ask, "Who, me?" The Toydarian growled and redirected his attention to Biqua.

"Look at this head. It's an old L80 model. Bobbo find it going through that salvage shipped from the droid moon. Bobbo is surprised to find it. Those droids recycle everything useful. Anyway, Bobbo find the memory not wiped. Maybe something useful in this droid's head, no? Maybe something worth ... money." The Toydarian grinned slyly, but then scowled and kicked the head off the workbench into a wall. "But Bobbo cannot access memory of stupid droid. So Bobbo say, you two do it! What does Bobbo pay you for anyway, to lay in stupid hammock and talk to no good friend?"

Jirair picked up the head. Bobbo huffed and buzzed away, his undersized wings straining to propel his girth through the hanging curtain that separated the front of the shop from the workroom. Dev Novo began a chant that all the inhabitants of Ganlo Island learned as children.

"Old Bobbo is a dirty bird
Hot peggats in his purse
His flippers stink like bantha curd
His breath smells even worse"

Jirair had joined in, but Biqua held up a hand to stop the two humans. A very serious voice could be heard from the front of the shop. "-cuse me, we are investigating a theft. We think you have something that does not belong to you. If you are smart, you will turn it over and no one will get hurt."

To be continued ...

Last edited:

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Now that I see some of your material, I'm getting more an more excited about this adventure! After 20+ years of D&D, I'll have to learn a new language, it seems, but I believe it'll be worth it.

Yesssssss!

Punch my ticket! More Star Wars goodness. Love the depth of the world (err, galaxy) and characters so far. It's not often you have a kick-a$$ intro that doesn't even introduce a PC.

Remove ads