Stardust

Banshee16

First Post
I just watched the movie "Stardust" last night.....I know it's based on a Neil Gaiman novel. Is the novel any good?

With many movies, the movie isn't as good as the originating book. Is the book worth digging into?

Banshee

Klaus

First Post
Haven't seen the movie, but I have read the synopsys. And I have read the original graphic novel (with wonderful illustrations by Charles Vess).

The novel is far superior, with a greater sense of wonder while on the other side of the Wall.

kingpaul

First Post
When I saw a trailer for the movie last year, I borrowed the book from the library. I liked both book and movie. I did think that the book was better than the movie, but the movie was a reasonably close adaptation of the book.

zen_hydra

First Post
Neil Gaiman is a favorite author of mine. If you liked the movie, then read the book. It is a great classic faerie tale written by a modern author. ...and if you haven't done so yet, read the his novel, American Gods.

TheLe

First Post
I have not read the book, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It had a cohesive storyline and things fit very well from scene to scene.

My wife did read the book first, and she enjoyed both. The movie obviously deviated from the book, but that really can't be helped (I tell people all the time - what works in a book does not always work on the big screen, so changes are needed).

My wife says you really need to read the book, which is far more immersing, and leaves a better chance for follow up stories.

`Le

Pyrex

First Post
I saw the movie, then read the book and enjoyed them both muchly.

The movie doesn't follow the book to the letter, but I thought it held fairly true to the spirit of the book (with the possible exception of the ending).

Nellisir

Hero
I read the "book" when it first came out (in 4 issues), then got the hardcover version, then saw the movie. The book is incredible. The movie is very enjoyable, despite some casting issues (I love Claire Danes, but she wasn't the perfect choice here). I liked the movie ending better than the book ending.

If you get the book, you -have- to get a version with Charles Vess's illustrations in it. The book isn't complete without them.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I liked them both, and I definitely recommend reading the book. The ending is a lot more melancholy, though. There's also a much greater sense of the huge, varied faerie world around them.

Klaus, you shouldn't say X>Y if you haven't even seen Y :p

Remove ads