Starfinder Starfinder Alexa Skill: 'The Future Of 'Voice Gaming'

Paizo is launching a "choose your own adventure" style Alexa skill for Starfinder. This just dropped into my inbox.

15210B62-31DF-49A0-9CE6-347DFEB20788.jpeg

PAIZO TO PREMIERE STARFINDER VOICE RPG SKILL FOR AMAZON ALEXA
Experience the future of voice gaming with the free pilot episode on December 16.

REDMOND, WASHINGTON (DECEMBER 10, 2019): Paizo Inc. has teamed up with Amazon to bring the award-winning Starfinder Roleplaying Game to Alexa. Alexa transports you to an action-packed science-fantasy experience. The Starfinder skill guides players through an interactive adventure filled with professional voice actors, exciting sound effects, music, and multiple different story paths based on their in-game decisions! The free pilot episode will be available exclusively to Alexa users on December 16.

The premiere solo adventure, “Starfinder: Scoundrels in the Spike,” takes a player’s Starfinder hero deep into the lowest levels of Absalom Station, where someone—or something—is wreaking havoc. Players of all skill levels can join in on the fun and experience how their spoken choices propel the adventure forward.

“Starfinder: Scoundrels in the Spike” was adapted for Alexa by James L. Sutter, former Starfinder Creative Director and an award-winning author. The pilot episode was originally written for the Starfinder Beginner Box by Starfinder Managing Developer Amanda Hamon.

“We are excited to partner with Amazon to bring the weird and wonderful world of Starfinder to fans through this innovative technology,” Hamon said. “The stars aligned and we think players new and old will love it.”

This voice-based version of the award-winning Starfinder Roleplaying Game is designed to bring players a whole new universe of adventures. After players enable the Starfinder skill on Alexa, they can launch their science fantasy tabletop adventures and create futuristic heroes and action-packed campaigns with the Starfinder Beginner Box! To learn more go to paizo.com/starfinder and paizo.com/starfinder/beginnerbox.

Starfinder voice episodes will be available across all Alexa-enabled devices. You can prepare for the December 16 launch by getting your own Amazon Echo or other Alexa-enabled devices today at Amazon.com.

Last edited:

pcrotteau

Explorer
That was the goal of most computer games: D&D without any other players.

This appears to be more of a choose your own adventure rather than a full blown game, but...

It is just a matter of time from here.

I see the future as a ultrathin, flexible and A3 size (two pages) tablet with an app to be the AI of the enemies in solo player games.

Other option could be "choose your own adventure" interactive cartoons in streaming media services.

They did this with Skyrim. It sounds cool but once the novelty wears off (petty quickly) its just a videogame with a terrible UI. Unless you are visually impaired or want to play a videogame while driving in traffic there is no reason to play a game through voice rather than one of the many screens you likely have within reach at any given time.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
“We are excited to partner with Amazon . . . "
I wonder if this goes against the ethos of the Starfinder community.

Starfinder voice episodes will be available across all Alexa-enabled devices. You can prepare for the December 16 launch by getting your own Amazon Echo or other Alexa-enabled devices today at Amazon.com.
Complete with a sales pitch. Welp, it was fun being a GM. Guess I'll polish up my resume. Or start being a player . . . :oops:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases