Starfinder: Red Dawn (OOC/ FULL)

eayres33

Explorer
A sample:

(Though I think in hindsight I'd want an Explorer hull rather than a light freighter for our actual ship)

[sblock]Name: Solenya
Tier: 1 (55BP)
Size Category/Frame: Small Light Freighter (-10 BP)
Speed: 10
Maneuverability: Good, Pilot +1, Turn 1
Drift:
Armor Class: 13+Pilot ranks
Target Lock: 11+Pilot ranks
Hull Points: 40
Damage Threshold: -
Critical Threshold: 8
Shields: 40

Attacks:
- Gyrolasers, Short range, 1d8 damage, +1 to hit (from computer), -2 to hit if fired in Forward or Aft arcs

Mounts:
2 Light (forward)
1 Light (Port)
- Gyrolaser (1d8 dmg, short range, broad arc, 10 PCU, -3 BP)
1 Light (Starboard)
- Gyrolaser (1d8 dmg, short range, broad arc, 10 PCU, -3 BP)

Power Core: Pulse Black (120 PCU, -12 BP)
Drift Engine: Signal Basic (Min PCU 75, Drift 1, -4 BP)
Systems
- Good Crew Quarters (-2 BP)
- S10 Thrusters (Speed 10, 50 PCU, -5 BP)
- Basic Shields 40 (40 shield points, Regen 1/min, 15 PCU, -5 BP)
- Budget Medium Range Sensors (+0, -3 BP)
- Mk 1 Duonode Computer (+1/+1, 10 PCU, -2 BP)
- Mk 2 Armor (+2 AC, -4 BP)

Expansion Bays: 3
- Cargo Bay
- Guest Quarters (4 Comfortable; 1 PCU, -1 BP)
- Escape Pods (6 pods; 2 PCU, -1 BP)

Modifiers
- +1 to any 2 combat rolls
- +1 Piloting

Crew Min/Max 1/6
Crew Complement
- Captain
- Pilot
- Science Officer
- Engineer
- ?
- ?
[/sblock]

I like it, if you guys want to make your own ship, I'm more than fine with that just stay in the 55 BP like you did here, and make sure it can hold the whole crew.

Shayuri

First Post
Explorer hull has more upgradeability. It won't be quite as nice -now- because certain elements are more expensive for it, and it's not quite as hard to hit as the light freighter, but we'll be able to stick with it and add onto it more.

Think I'll do a redesign then.

Taking suggestions for names! 'Solenya' is a silly placeholder. :)

[sblock]Name: Solenya
Tier: 1 (55BP)
Size Category/Frame: Medium Explorer (-12 BP)
Speed: 10
Maneuverability: Good, Pilot +1, Turn 1
Drift: 1
Armor Class: 12+Pilot ranks
Target Lock: 10+Pilot ranks
Hull Points: 55
Damage Threshold: -
Critical Threshold: 11
Shields: 40

Attacks:
- Coilgun, long range, 4d4 damage

Mounts:
1 Light (forward)
1 Light (Port)
1 Light (Starboard)
1 Light (Turret)
- Coilgun (4d4 dmg, long range, 10 PCU, -6 BP)

Power Core: Pulse Grey (100 PCU, -10 BP)
Drift Engine: Signal Basic (Min PCU 75, Drift 1, -6 BP)
Systems
- Good Crew Quarters (-2 BP)
- M10 Thrusters (Speed 10, 70 PCU, -5 BP)
- Basic Shields 40 (40 shield points, Regen 1/min, 15 PCU, -5 BP)
- Budget Medium Range Sensors (+0, -3 BP)
- Mk 2 Armor (+2 AC, -6 BP)

Expansion Bays: 4
- 4x Cargo Bay

Modifiers
- +1 Piloting

Crew Min/Max 1/6
Crew Complement
- Captain
- Pilot
- Science Officer
- Engineer
- ?
- ?
[/sblock]

Alright! This ship is all about future potential. It has 4 expansion bays that are unfilled, meaning we have a LOT of room to expand in, and in the short term a lot of cargo space to earn profits. The ship's standout attribute is speed...at 10, it's quite fast for a ship of its size and can outrun anything but fighters and small missiles. Its turreted coilgun means we can fight at long range, in any direction, with credible firepower.

Upgrade priorities:
- The reactor is strained nearly to its breaking point. We consume 95 of its 100 PCU with all systems up and running. Before we get anything other than armor, or minor things like passenger cabins or the like, we will need to upgrade this.

- Enhancing our computer is cheap, and we only need a mononode until we get more weapons. Similarly the sensors could be upgraded for a handful of BP. Our eventual goal for sensors should be long-range, I'd recommend going to LR sensors before going for a skill bonus.

- Our shields are thin for a ship this size. We could hold off a fighter or two long enough to drive them off, with some luck, but anything more powerful is a serious threat. This is exacerbated by our thin armor and nonexistent ECM defenses. Upgrading defenses should be high priority.

- Our weaponry is not terrible actually, with reasonable damage at quite good range. What I'd like to do is add flak cannon or laser nets on each of Port and Starboard sides to help with missile defense. Forward we can put a missile launcher perhaps...or upgrade the slot to Heavy and put in a big gun. All of these options are pretty expensive and power-hungry though, so these are longer term upgrades.

- Our expansion slots are a huge strength of this design, and allow the ship to be specialized in virtually any direction according to our needs as they develop. One should always be reserved for cargo, but the rest are open season. I'd definitely recommend not rushing to fill these though, so we can build the ship according to where the game takes us.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
One thing I've noticed is that there's a fair degree of overlap between Technomancers and Mechanics in terms of shipboard functions, if not in overall playstyle. Mystics however have the unique class ability that they are the only way to rapidly cure wounds in combat. Anyone with Medicine can administer First Aid or treat wounds (though without a Medical Bay or someone with the Medical Expert feat we can't treat deadly wounds), but restoring hit points quickly requires magic...and only Mystics have access to those spells.

Doesn't mean we -have- to have one...but it's something to keep in mind as we discuss party composition.

eayres33

Explorer
I have yet to see either in play, my home group tends to avoid spell casters at all costs, so whatever you want works for me, though I agree with Shayuri the mystic would avoid more overlap than the technomancer.

Remove ads