• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

StarGate: Atlantis -- Spoilers Requested

Where and how was it stated and/or implied that Reese was an Ancient-model Replicator?

I distinctly remember that she wasn't anything more than a super-intelligent, but emotionaly imature, Android built by a civilization of unknown tech level (since there's nothing left of thier home planet). The only nano-tech that she possessed was her self-repair system, which she was smart enough to use to create other objects (ie: replicators).

Kesh

First Post
That's my biggest problem with the Ancient Replicators: they contradict the origins given in SG-1. Reese was made to replace a scientist's daughter, and she was smart enough to create the first Replicators herself.

The Ancient Replicators were made by the Ancients as a weapon against the Wraith, but are basically the same kind of machine as the human-form Replicators from our galaxy. They can even be affected by the same weapons, techniques.

Either the Ancients copied & perfected the Milky Way replicators, or somehow Ancient technology was (poorly) copied on Reese's world by her.

Kesh

First Post
Hatchling Dragon said:
My memory's not too good then, I thought they were just using newer Asgard Hyperdrives to get between galaxies faster. Two of the three Replicator ZPM's were on earth, one to power the Outpost in case of Ori invasion while the other stayed at SGC to power the Gate for regular travel between galaxies, since Intersteller Gate activations took such huge amounts of power.

They do have Asgard hyperdrives, but it still requires a ZPM to power it enough to make travel between galaxies reasonable.

Don't forget the Genoi, they're still an unknown quantity, and aren't on too favorable terms with the Atlantis crew.

Not quite the same level of threat, but a threat nonetheless.

I can't place who that character is that's supposedly attacking Atlantis in the season finale, does anyone recognise him?

He's the leader of the Ancient Replicators.

DM_Matt

First Post
Kesh said:
They do have Asgard hyperdrives, but it still requires a ZPM to power it enough to make travel between galaxies reasonable.

Those hyperdrives are in fact faster than anything in Pegasus other than maybe Atlantis itself an other related ships. The wraith, the replicators, and ancient warships do not have practical intergalactic capabilities at all.

Don't forget the intergalactic gate network they are building. They are taking unused gates from uninhabited planets and sticking them in space, such that a jumper can travel between Atlantis and Earth in minutes without needing extra power. They already built a space station at the border of the two gate networks where a jumper can enter though a gate in one network, fly through the station, and leave through a gate in the other network. Apparently it will be operational next season.

Spoiler for the first few minutes of the SG1 finale:
[sblock] Also, presumably now that they have Asgard power generation as well as engines, they will be able to travel between galaxies without a ZPM, since the Asgard homeworld is in neither the Milky Way nor Pegasus and they seem to have no problem traveling between their home galaxy and the Milky Way. [/sblock]

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Kesh said:
That's my biggest problem with the Ancient Replicators: they contradict the origins given in SG-1. Reese was made to replace a scientist's daughter, and she was smart enough to create the first Replicators herself.

The Ancient Replicators were made by the Ancients as a weapon against the Wraith, but are basically the same kind of machine as the human-form Replicators from our galaxy. They can even be affected by the same weapons, techniques.

Either the Ancients copied & perfected the Milky Way replicators, or somehow Ancient technology was (poorly) copied on Reese's world by her.
Well, it's been strongly implied by the SG producers that Reese was created by the Ancients as well. So the two origins don't really have to contradict.

Presumably the timeline goes as this: Ancients create the Asurans, which rebel. The Ancients return from the Pegasus galaxy, seed the Milky Way with humanoid life, some ascend, others do not. An non-ascended Ancient scientist looses his daughter og creates Reese from the same technology as the Asurans. Reese creates the Replicators, hilarity ensues.

Kesh

First Post
Viking Bastard said:
Well, it's been strongly implied by the SG producers that Reese was created by the Ancients as well. So the two origins don't really have to contradict.

Presumably the timeline goes as this: Ancients create the Asurans, which rebel. The Ancients return from the Pegasus galaxy, seed the Milky Way with humanoid life, some ascend, others do not. An non-ascended Ancient scientist looses his daughter og creates Reese from the same technology as the Asurans. Reese creates the Replicators, hilarity ensues.

eh. I can kinda see that. Still kinda irks me though, and feels like an ad-hoc "No Prize" solution.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Kesh said:
eh. I can kinda see that. Still kinda irks me though, and feels like an ad-hoc "No Prize" solution.
Eh.

The story behind Reese wasn't exactly very detailed. All we know is that she was created by a scientist she calls "father", that "the others" didn't like her, she creates "her toys" and hilarity ensues.

We know nothing about the scientist or the civilization. It doesn't contradict anything. And it wouldn't be the first time the Ancients have been retroactively jammed into past ideas.

But maybe similar technology just creates similar abilities.

DMH said:
Which episode?
...as in, in interviews.

But like I said, it was implied. They did not say: "Yeah, Reese was made by the ancients."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads