Stargate SG-1 Series Finale

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Frukathka said:
Great, just frakking great. They've reused the Sliders series finale concept. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah but unlike that chunks worth season, at least this season had its moments AND they didn't have to change casts. :p

DHM,

REALLLY!!!? Nice. I like the other Farscape lookise from 200. THAT was classic.

DM_Matt

First Post
So why didn't their shields and/or battery power gradually recharge while in the time bubble? shouldn't power generation have functioned in apparent time as well? Are we to assume that the time dilation field built into the Asgard core took up so much power that they lost power over time, even when combined with existing sources such as the ZPM and whatever Naquida-based (presumably) power generation the ship already had, meaning that the core was essentially not capable of powering it??

DM_Matt

First Post
Hatchling Dragon said:
I'd like to point out somethig that at least a few of us seem to have missed or forgotten. The SGC has the sum-total of the Asgard technology. This is not the end-all and be-all "Earth p0\/\/ns j00!" magic solution. The Asgard were quite a bit more advanced than Earth is, but they're definately not the Ancients! They've stated that they've tried studying the Ancient Database (a-la face-sucky-thing), but had only managed to understand a tiny fraction of it. I think the same would hold true, perhaps to a lesser extent, with Earth gaining the Asgard Datacore.

As to the 'saving Atlantis', they could fly there and give them the 2nd ZPM, mabye even using 'advanced Asgard sensors' to find the lost city. They've never given any hint that they'd had ZPM technology, so there's not going to be any "They fly up, beam-replicate a room full of ZPM's and Atlantis wins!" happening.

Basicaly, the eppisode looked like what it was, a slap-dash attempt at tieing off a few of the various storylines. The Earth now has some means of defending themselfs off planet, but the '50 years in a bubble' was meant to show us that just being handed a "Big Book of Knowledge" doesn't mean only having to ask the database how to do X and being handed all the answers.

Well, a few of the technologies are very fundamentally important. The leap in weapons was huge. Before this episode, earth weapons could not destroy anything stronger than an Al-Kesh. Now they have weapons that can destroy previously-invulnerable Ori Toilet Ships, to go with shields and transport already better than the Wraith or the Goauld. The Odyssey turned out to be better in combat than the previous reigning best ship in the known universe (certainly better than a single OTS)

While their limitations are unclear, the beam-replicator devices are obviously extremely useful, as is, as mentioned above, their anti-replicator technology. We do know that they can produce powerful and complex devices, since we've seen them used to instantly create anti-replicator weapons.

It took 50 years to solve the problem because there simply wasn't enough power to use a number of possible solutions, requiring Carter to invent a way to travel back in time.

Also, it is probably easier to use than the Ancient database bc Thor spent almost a year making AI/Holographic versions of the remaining Asgard to help with it. The Ancient database did not come with a users manual, let alone being designed specifically for use by Earth.

DM_Matt said:
So why didn't their shields and/or battery power gradually recharge while in the time bubble? shouldn't power generation have functioned in apparent time as well? Are we to assume that the time dilation field built into the Asgard core took up so much power that they lost power over time, even when combined with existing sources such as the ZPM and whatever Naquida-based (presumably) power generation the ship already had, meaning that the core was essentially not capable of powering it??

The ship was running on a ZPM, those are essentialy described as something akin to the universes biggest battery. They run out, or as the tecno-babble puts it "Reaches a point of maximum entropy." Presumably the Core's power source was similar, either a 'super battery', or some form of self-contained reactor with a finite fuel source.

The time bubble isn't something you just burn power to put up, it takes power (no doubt a ton) to maintain, and it was running non-stop for 50 years give or take. Not only that, but they had to use the beaming technology to constantly refresh the air, make the food/water, and any number of other sundries. 50 years of upkeep alone would have required quite a few spare parts I'm sure.

DM_Matt said:
Well, a few of the technologies are very fundamentally important. The leap in weapons was huge. Before this episode, earth weapons could not destroy anything stronger than an Al-Kesh. Now they have weapons that can destroy previously-invulnerable Ori Toilet Ships, to go with shields and transport already better than the Wraith or the Goauld. The Odyssey turned out to be better in combat than the previous reigning best ship in the known universe (certainly better than a single OTS)

It was pointed-out that the Wraither were close to the Ancients in technology, which isn't suprising considering where they stole the technology from originaly. Even so the Ancients could beat them 1 vs 1, but the Wraith have vast numbers (and apparently the ability to breed like insects?) on thier side and just wore them down.

I think that the weapons are so effective (the Asgard couldn't defeat a 'toilet ship' themselfs) because they had a ZPM to supply power on a level they themselfs couldn't manage. Again, the Asgard aren't the Ancients, they haven't shown any sign of having ZPM technology.

While their limitations are unclear, the beam-replicator devices are obviously extremely useful, as is, as mentioned above, their anti-replicator technology. We do know that they can produce powerful and complex devices, since we've seen them used to instantly create anti-replicator weapons.

That happened once, before that it was unclear as to if the 'stuff' was created or simply beamed from storage. From watching the eppisode you're refering to I got the definate impressoin that it was all Jack's doing, via the Ancient Database he was 'infected' with at the time. Thor even sounded suprised when he mentioned that not only was Jack using the ship's computer to design something, but was also tying in the beaming devices as a means of replicating the device instantly. And in the Finaly Sam definately stated that she had to make some slight modifications to start 'replicating' via Beaming devices, so that doesn't sound like standard Asgard tech, especialy as they'd just had the ship upgraded with all the best toys available at the time. That would definately have been on the list of upgrades, if for no other reason than to make the other upgrades far easier and faster by simply beaming old stuff out and the new and improoved toys into thier places.

It took 50 years to solve the problem because there simply wasn't enough power to use a number of possible solutions, requiring Carter to invent a way to travel back in time.

Again I interpreted things differently, after rewatching the show (I love DVR's) there wasn't enough time to implement any solutions they could come up with, and then Sam admited to having given up on finding a way out of thier situation. After talking with Daniel at the '20 years later' point she apparently went back to work and came up with a way to reverse time to the point of the time bubble's initial formation, but that took 30 more years. It was at that point that they had a soultion but no longer had the power to implement it.

Also, it is probably easier to use than the Ancient database bc Thor spent almost a year making AI/Holographic versions of the remaining Asgard to help with it. The Ancient database did not come with a users manual, let alone being designed specifically for use by Earth.

Yet again, I see it the opposite of your view point. The Ancient database was far more intuitive and user-friendly (just not user-healthy). Sure the pesky thing will end up killing any human crazy enough to put thier face in one of the 'output jacks' (Jack's definately crazy) before this happens they have a rapidly growing understanding of not only Ancient knowledge, but apparently get to use at least some of the various 'psychic powers' that the Ancients possesed.

Thor on the other hand seems to have done little more than program a holographic version of the various windows error messages: ie: "That function is not allowed". Note that after just a short while Sam shuts the program down, with a look on her face that combined disgust/frustration and a certian satisfaction as well.

Harmon

First Post
Blah, the finale was lame. Slow, and boring, I was hoping they would have some- "okay, this is it, lets rock this joint!" action, but instead they have a couple ship battles that were akin to a Star Trek episode.

And T- what the heck, he comes back, and where is the younger version? What happened to him?

<yawn> Great finale, thought it was worthy of the <yawn> last few seasons. I was really hoping they could pick up the pace, maybe save the show (cause I am gonna miss what was good about the show), but... this have been coming for a while.

Tuzenbach

First Post
**spoilers**

Two things......

1) So, they started the battle with shields at full integrity, but had to freeze time 'cuz their shields were widdled away to less than 23% & the next Ori hit would destroy them? What, they couldn't have fixed the shields with those 50 years? Even taken apart a few 302's & used the metal to ridiculously reinforce the bulkheads? It's not as if they weren't able to figure out the beam's EXACT point of impact* & strength. C'mon Carter, freakin' micromanage!

2) Yes, Daniel & Vala getting together was poignant, but not very interesting. What would have been INTERESTING is the two of them actually having a child. Then they raise the child. And the child grows up to be that Adria chick, but a "good" version of her. Then the "good Adria", instead of Teal'c, volunteers to do that special time thing at the end. Of course, this would mean that the action would cause her to cease to exist, and SG-1 would never know quite what happened. That ending potentially could have confused/pissed people off like the Sopranos ending, but at least it would have been less boring.

EDIT...

*PS: Anyone remember Robotech? If so, remember the SDF-1's "pin-point barrier system"? They didn't have enough juice to shield the whole ship, so they tried to compensate by only shielding parts which were about to be hit. However, it didn't really work because it was dependent upon the reaction time of those ditzy broads on the bridge. IN THIS CASE, however, SG-1 knew EXACTLY where & when they were going to be hit, so could have turned off all shielding everwhere else & focused it on that one small section. Oh well....

Last edited:

Hi,

Personally, I'm not that worried about plot-holes unless they are so obvious that they ruin the suspension of disbelief, my problem is that the episode had absolutely no surprises and no suspense. I was hoping that this being the final episode, the writers would have something occur that would have a lasting impact.

The fifth race part of the series has always been intriguing and I remember being genuinely touched by the episode that bore that title, I don't believe however that we (humanity in the SG-1 universe) have demonstrated in any way-shape-or-form that we have evolved to the point where we could stand shoulder to shoulder with the other four races.

I was really hoping for an episode akin to the final episodes of Babylon 5; a peek into the far future where we have truly changed; instead In the SG universe, the little grey guys have given the monkey's a big revolver :lol:

I really liked the way the series evolved slowly, however, it is starting to remind me of the endless Dominion war in DS9. How many different times can you have Earth and the galaxy threatened before it becomes repetitive. The Aurai are very good villians, the last episode of season 9 and the episodes that preceded it were chilling. However the quest for Merlin's weapon etc. in season 10 has taken us away from that feeling of a real threat. The Aurai storyline has gone on too long. They are not the entertaining villians that the Gould were in my opinion.

M

Kesh

First Post
I think this episode exemplifies the problems SG-1 has had the last 3 seasons or so. There's a serious lack of genuine conflict, the interaction between the cast is forced and the stories are just plain rushed.

My honest feeling is that the best writers went over to Atlantis, and are pulled back for the occasional episode, like when Daniel came back as a Prior. The Jack/Daniel interaction there was classic SG-1, and there was plenty of characterization, plot and conflict without the episode feeling rushed.

Not the best way for the series to end. I think it should've gone out gracefully when Atlantis debuted, but there were some good moments here and there.

Remove ads